iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Applying Reverse Roll Quartersawing to an Onion

Started by WDH, July 20, 2018, 08:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

:D

A man has to re-apply things that he has learned.  I was slicing an onion for supper tonight and I realized that I was reverse roll quarterslicing the onion.  Once the onion was halved down from the top through the root end, the cuts were perfectly radial from the outside of the onion to the center, like quartersawing a board.  I realized that I was turning the onion after every slice just a tad to get that perfect center cut.  This makes it easy to break the slices into individual pieces that are long and thin.

Quartersawing Quarterslicing an onion :D.  I added some quartersliced green peppers, some shrimps, some mexican seasoning, some diced tomatoes, and some quacomole, yum it was good ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

lxskllr

I usually cut my onions into cookies, then rip them down the middle.

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Roxie

This is just so funny.  :)  I guess I've been quarterslicing my whole life.  
Say when

WDH

You have been reverse rolling all this time ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Interesting, I quarter mine then slice 1/4 cookies.
They break apart while cooking them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

When I was growing up, my Grandmother served quartersliced raw onions on the side with Chicken Pot Pie, and also with cooked green beans.  Oh!  It was so good.  To this day I can't eat those two items without quartersliced raw onion. 
Say when

WDH

I had some quartersliced onion in a salad for supper.

fishpharmer

Aromatic red onions would look nice quarter sliced.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

They have that unique aroma as well, too :D. 

Thank You Sponsors!