iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

This is the start of the cabin that I cut out a few weeks ago Including the 2 x 28' beams.<br
>

These are sample/trial joints made with the Jig that is supplied by https://logdovetailjig.com/    

I will post more pics as the project progresses.

I am back at the site to cut more material for the project.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

DPatton

Interesting Bandit, :P I'll be watching with enthusiasm.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Peter Drouin

That way you get the outside and inside done at the same time. :D ;)
Are they 6"x12" and whatever long?

Had some nice Hemlock come in.

20'

See how white the wood is, Top end, A little small but straght.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bandmill Bandit

The're White Spruce 6"X9"with 1" "chinking space so each tier is 10". The steel well casing skid frame is 13'6" X 24' (outside) and the cabin will be 13'X 18' with a 6' deck on the front.

The 76 year "young" guy doing the supervision is a  retired timber frame/log builder from the maritimes. Hes about 5 foot 6 and can still work a couple of younger guys into the saw dust. Handles his chainsaws like a surgeon handles a scalpel! He has 5 different saws that he uses for different things.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Bandmill Bandit

Friday Sept 21, 2018 update
I cut 40 more 4"X6" X 12'  and 16 more 6"X9"X20' today. The welder finished up the base skid. Bob sorted the 6x9 into length stacks and got set up to start the notch dove tail process for the wall logs on the week end. Walls should be up by next week end. Pictures will appear as available.  

Peter Drouin

Coming along. 
If you can, get a pix of the green JD  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

VT-Woodchuck

The workbench is faced with butternut and the router table with cherry. All cut on my LT15.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A little red rot,  ::)

Junk W Pine. :D :D

More Hemlock and W Pine some Red Pine.

Wood been going out like this for most of the year.

200-1x12x10 W Pine.

Do you all think Red Pine would be good for 4x4x4' dunnage for a steel I beam?
Or loading a TT truck?

How about Popular. Any thoughts?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Southside

I would use hemlock before poplar for sure.  Got any tamarack there?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

You must get some pretty decent logs in to do that many 1x12's.

How do y'all load them trailers with the wheel wells sticking up?
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

4x4American

I have popple dunnage at my mill..I don't see why it wouldn't work, dunnage is pretty much just whatever junk you have lying around, no?  Or are you saying you have an order to fill for dunnage?  Gonna have to have somewhere to go with the side lumber at least if you use hemlock you could prolly move the outside lumber
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

PAmizerman, We have big W Pine in NH, I sell a lot of 1"x12".
Now Hemlock in 2"x12" can be a challenge  :D :D :D

4x4 I have a steel I beam guy wants 100 4x4x8. I have the Hemlock, just trying to open more markets for other trees.  :D ;)
Did you get the circle mill yet?
I have what I have for a mill. If I was younger and had to do it over I would have a circle mill with a built-in edger.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Idk, I give away hardwood dunnage to truck drivers alot.  I try to keep pine and popple/basswood dunnage for around the mill because it's alot lighter.  Can grab a 4x4x4 one in each hand with popple or pine easily
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

And no I flew out last weekend to wisconsin to look at a circle mill that was pretty cool but I didn't like some things about it so I passed.  Still looking.  Stopped in and visited with red oaks lumber who happened to live right down the rd
Boy, back in my day..

rjwoelk

Peter on the dunage thing, I do flat deck work and there is 2 ways of looking at using dunnage from the truckers perspective.  
1.  Using Poplar which is a less dense wood you will get a lot of crushing of the dunnage, which means your straps keep getting loose, will be on them every 3 hrs for the first couple of times. I have had that with soft wood dunnage.

2.  But the fact that it is soft and the steel bites into it It does not move side to side. I think could be a plus over the oak . You will see were the steel beams have slipped side to side in transport as they are so hard the steel does not bite in.

I have had guys tell me they prefer Poplar for a decking on a trailer if you are using a steel crawler equipment. The wood has give to it and  the grouser bars have more grip on a less dense wood than oak. 

Just my take on it. Bob
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Peter Drouin

Thanks for the info rjwoelk.  I think they're only going to use them one time to truck the steel.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I bet hemlock would work pisser for that.  
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Coming back from Brunos.

I told Bruno his job was the last one on the road for me.
My blank canvas.

Set it up and pull the wheels.

A little push. :D

I did not have a bunch of stationre legs, So I mix them up'

I put a line from one end to the other to line up the mill.

A little more and I'll be sawing Wensday.
The edger is over at my shop to weld in a hydro pump.
I pushed the mill 12' past the door. I should be able to get a long log in there' 
The cat does crab, :D :D :D :D ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

PAmizerman

Nice Peter
The plan is coming together!!
Can't wait to see the kicker on the edger.
Are you putting the edger in opposite of the way it was? So all the lumber goes out the back door?
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Lawg Dawg

Heck Yeah, you like me. I like to be close to home...actually in the 8 years I've been sawing, I've never done a road job!  8)
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

4x4American

Wouldn't it be cool if WM could put a horizontal edger on their mills that travels in front of the blade so we didn't have to do all this extra stuff to edge boards
Boy, back in my day..

PAmizerman

4x4 
Sharpen your debarker up and give er a little more fuel. It will zing right through there :D
Hydraulics everywhere
Case 95xt skidloader
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter

Peter Drouin

The edger will take more work to set up. Yes, all the wood will go one way.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

We are getting back to the cabin since we have some good weather again.

Here is what was done during the prep work as weather allowed the last few weeks.

The jig we built and are using is from Log Dovetail Jig Homepage and it works very well. I think the pics are all pretty self explanatory. If you have a question just ask.

The staining was completed on Wednesday and today is set for stacking the walls IF it dont rain, and right now that is not looking so good. I will post pictures from the stacking when we are done that part.  

Thank You Sponsors!