iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sweetgum?

Started by Ga Mtn Man, January 23, 2015, 06:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

A customer had me saw this fungus-covered log and, I hate to admit it, I couldn't tell him for sure what it was.  I told him I thought it was sweetgum but wasn't sure.  He emailed me the bark pics after the job.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

curdog

Definitely looks like sweetgum bark to me. The only way to know for sure is to use a splitting maul on it ;D. If you invent new words in the process than you know it's sweetgum.

pineywoods

Yep, looks like spalted sweetgum to me. quarter saw it...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

Yes.  That is it.  It will twist more than Poston telling a goat story (new old saying). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!