iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hard maple

Started by abooley, July 05, 2010, 08:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abooley

Has anyone had any success using hard maple for framing or siding? How does it weather?
aboo

bandmiller2

Aboo,for outbuildings where twisting and bowing are not a problem its OK not great though,if your going to nail it do it when its green outherwise you may have to drill the nail/screw holes.I'am not sure on the use as siding.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

abooley

I have a customer who is planning to build a barn. He has a large amount of maple and wants to incorporate the use of the lumber from the maple into the barn. I am thinking that using the maple for framing material would be a better use than for siding since it would be out of the weather. He also has red oak to be cut, this I felt would make better board and batten siding. I suggested using poplar for the framing material. Any thoughts?
aboo

Chuck White

I think either one would make good beams for framing, but as BM2 said, if they're allowed to dry, they'll need to be predrilled.

I'm wondering though, if you were to use a "power nailer", they might nail up ok.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OneWithWood

I would use the hard maple and oak for the framing.  If kept out of the weather it should be fine.  Use the poplar for the board and batten.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!