iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 Wide, LT70 Wide, where's the Wide Edger?

Started by Dave Shepard, April 26, 2014, 06:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

My LT40 cuts 28" wide, but my ED26 only has a 25" opening. Even if the flitch will fit, it only cuts 15" wide boards. It's time for a Wide Edger. It needs about a 40" opening to accommodate a 34" flitch, and still have room to line up the cut. I have to edge a lot of lumber on the mill because it won't fit in the edger.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

That new edger is probably still on the drawing board.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

tule peak timber

Dave , look into a new or used SLR (straight line rip ) saw. You will need three phase power, and it is necessary to make two passes to catch both edges but it works for me.... cut any width you want.  Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

stavebuyer

customsawyer

WM makes one but it is green and about $35,000.   ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dave Shepard

The E430, or whatever they are calling it these days? Yes, that would be ideal, especially the fact that both blades move.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

PA_Walnut

Love my Baker edger, but frankly when I am sawing big slabs on my 40Wide, I'd rather edge them there to lessen the weight when handling...oh, my aching back!  :-\

Generally speaking, I also leave the BIG stuff live edged and allow the straight-lining choices to be made after drying, in order to squeeze every last 1/8" outta it!  :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WV Sawmiller

Forget the wide edger - I want a planer that will plane about 3' or so. ;D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

customsawyer

I just bought knifes for my 24" planer. No thanks on buying them for a 36" planer.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Riehl in Pennsylvania makes a wide one upon request.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Darrel

I believe Riehl makes one without special order that opens up wide enough to take the 28" wide flitch or slab but I think the widest board it will cut is 20" or so. It also has a max thickness of 3" which is more than the orange edger. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!