iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up the little one...

Started by metalspinner, July 05, 2006, 10:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Got a call today about a wind blown red oak.  Turned out to be  Southern Red Oak.  The owners called a few tree services about removal and were blown away at the price.  A friend of a friend gave them my number.  8) 8)  He pointed to an even larger one on the lot and will be taking it out as well. 8)

This is the fourth log in the tree.  It is 26" on the small end and 8'6" long.  The butt log is 36" on the big end.  26" to 36" over 34' seems like very little taper to me.

If the weather holds up, I will retrieve the other three over the next couple days.  Getting to the tree was quite a squeeze.   After a lot of  smiley_gossip smiley_gossip  it was decided I had room to turn around and get out of there.  Only had 3" of clearance getting through the gate, then had to zig-zag my way through the wooded lot.  If the trailer was 14' rather than 12' I don't believe I could have gotten to the log or turned around. 

The tree was growing with quite a lean.  You can see the pith under the eye on the left.  I know this will cause stability problems in the lumber.  My plan is to quarter saw it.  Is there a way to minimize stability issues?  Maybe cut thick stock out of one side or another?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TN_man

Metalspinner,
You always get the nice logs!  Way to go!
I am always keeping my eyes open but I don't run into the deals you do.  Lots of times by the time I get by to see one, they have already cut it up for firewood.  I guess that is a bad thing about living in an area where so many people heat with wood.  They look at the log and see alot of nice firewood. :(
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

metalspinner

Yes, 
The city slickers out here only see a very expensive problem - no potential. :) 

I keep telling myself that I don't need a sawmill.  And with great sawyers and people like you  and Teenswinger  I am getting by -  for the time being.   After I collect the other four logs from this tree I will give you a ring. smiley_operator

metalspinner

Here is number two....

Everything is in position and ready to parbuckle.  Notice how close the trailer is to the tree.  It was this tight for about 60 yards through the lot. 

Because the white oak grew in the wrong spot,  I had to pull the log at an angle which caused this....  I can't believe I had the forsight to block up under the back of the trailer.  That would have been a real mess, otherwise.

I hope a fly doesn't land on the end of the log!

I used a come-along to pull it back where I needed it....

And I finally made it home... smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sweat_drop

getoverit

Nice looking log!

Cant wait to see what you make of it. :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jkj

Quote from: metalspinner on July 05, 2006, 10:15:22 PM
Turned out to be  Southern Red Oak.

Metalspinner,

Do you want another big red oak?   I cut some of the limbs but the main trunk is far to big for me to handle with my LT-15.  I didn't  get out the tape, but I'm guessing it's well over 36" dia. for at least 30' with very little taper.  Since the hay is cut, it should be easy to get a trailer across my field and winch the log a short distance down the hill.  I've got a tractor which may help and I already cut an access.  I'm just north of Clinton, TN.

If you are interested, I could go out and measure it tomorrow.

The same storm took out two white oaks, another red oak, and four good-sized pines, but I've already hauled those off.  It would be a shame to let the big red one go to firewood.

Hey, are you the trumpet playing metal spinner who did a demo at the Smoky Mountain Woodturner's club last year?  If so, I really enjoyed the demo.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

metalspinner

JKJ,
Yeah, that was me.  Have you tryed to spin yet?  That demo was kind of by the seat of my pants.  Was lots of fun, though.  It's always nice to do something new.

That Red Oak sounds really nice.  PM me and we can get in touch.

TN_man

JKJ,
I don't mean to cut in on my good friend Metalspinner, but oversized logs is just what we do.  Teen swinger and I will be glad to come over and saw those logs up for you on shares.  It can be a win-win situation for both of us.
It is your logs and you can decide to do with them as you please, but I figured I would give you another option here.  We are just a 45 minute drive from Clinton.
Just let me know what you decide.  You can send me a PM if you are interested.
Maybe all 4 of us could get together and have our own sawdust-making get-together. 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

rebocardo

metalspinner

Rebocardo,
Do you mean the smile on my face  when I showed up to pick up another of these logs today and there was a Bobcat on sight?  8) 8) 8)

The tree service guy loaded the trailer for me  and I was underway real quick.  move_it 

The butt log of this tree was hollow for several feet, so I only got a five footer out of it.  But all in all three eights and two fours out of this one tree and all clear logs is a pretty good catch.

I'm still not sure about how to cut around the off center heart.   ???

jkj

Quote from: jkj on July 06, 2006, 09:42:41 PM
Do you want another big red oak? 

East TN sawguys,

I measured the downed red oak today and it's straight as an arrow for about 43' to a crotch.  The dimensions:
  36"+ at the butt (didn't measure),
  34" at 4',
  31.5" at 20',
  29.5" at 35' and
  27.5" at 43'.

Since it is on  the ground, I can see some decay extending about 1' up the center from the roots.  I need to slice into it and see if the center of the log is good wood a few ft from the ground.  I can probably handle the last 8' or so on my mill, but the rest is probably too big without a lot of work.  I'll hollar back after I cut into it and see what's there.  Fortunately, it's suspended about 1' off the ground so it won't start to rot right away.

Metalspinner: I did look for metal spinning tools at Highland Hardware on one trip to Atlanta, but they were out.  Perhaps I'll try spinning this winter.  There's not much time to play this time of year.  Your trumpet mutes were amazing.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

metalspinner

Thanks for the links, Tom.

Thinking through your tip on not putting compression and tension wood in the same board - if the log shown is quarter sawn with a swing mill, only the rift sawn "ears" would possibly contain material from different sides of the log?

Also, would a 30"+ log bow  when using a swing mill?  Not being able to release tension from each side of the log seems like that could cause some issues?

Another thought if cutting on a bandmill... Could very large slabs be taken off, let them move as they want, then later come back and "reslab" the crook or bow out of these and then cut lumber?

Lot's of questions here, sorry.

getoverit

Quote from: metalspinner on July 07, 2006, 10:40:26 PM
if the log shown is quarter sawn with a swing mill, only the rift sawn "ears" would possibly contain material from different sides of the log?

Also, would a 30"+ log bow  when using a swing mill?  Not being able to release tension from each side of the log seems like that could cause some issues?

I have cut a bunch of logs that have tension in them with my Peterson Swingmill, and to answer your question, it is yes, and no.

I have had problems with tension in logs, but mostly in horizontal cuts that are at or near the center line of the log. The tension seems to be released in such small amounts when using a swingmill that it is barely noticable, especially if you do a lot of vertical cuts in the log.

as far as the log bowing while cutting, I have'nt found this to be an issue. There are times when I have had logs that have bowed or drooped, but this shows up when you are in the last couple of inches of the log and are trying to get that last board off of the bottom of the log. It is usually because there isnt enough support under the log to keep it from drooping or bowing.

Pine logs that have a significant butt swell  and hardwood limbs where the pith is in the outside 1/3 of the log seem to be the worst about having any noticable tension in them. As far as cutting straight boards from this lumber, it can be done, but the risk for having the blade pinch due to tension is somewhat greater with these types of logs, especially in the horizontal cut.

Hope this helps?

metalspinner

GOI,
That is the answer I've been looking for.  If you notice in the pics above, the pith is really uncentered.  Do you have recomendations for which way the log should be oriented?  I would like to maximize the "long" quarter sawn side on the log for extra wide QS boards by double cutting.  Will orienting these sides left to right when sawing  with a swinger cause more or less stress in the lumber?  Maybe I'm being to picky?  But those wide QS faces look very attactive.

getoverit

If it were me, I would place the pith as far to the bottom as possible (using the swingmill) and then cut vertical boards. This will give you the maximum amount of quarter/rift cut boards.

Thank You Sponsors!