iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 3120, 395, 0r Stihl 661 or 881 for CSM

Started by TmbrWlkr, April 21, 2021, 08:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmbrWlkr

Ok guys - don't mean to stir the pot, but I am having fantasies about chainsaw milling, and I want to know which saw to get.  I am leaning towards a Husky 3120; will be cutting slabs over 30" with it if I get it.  Under that and I have the Norwood 36HD.  Which will pull a 56" bar best?

doc henderson

I have an 880, it is heavy but I am not overwhelmed with power.  prob. not broke in entirely.  some say the big husky has more ommph.  I do not know.  I was told it was more ergonomic, and revved better.    
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Real1shepherd

lxskllr

I use a 661 with a 36" bar & mill(~32" effective cut). My reasoning was it was an expensive purchase, and I'm not really interested in milling as "a thing". Aside from milling, I have zero use for a saw as big as an 880, so I can use the 661 for more things. If you intend on having it as a dedicated milling saw, I'd drop the 661 from the list of contenders. It works well enough for what I'm doing, but it's about the top end of it's range. An 880 class saw would be better whatever brand you decide on.

doc henderson

I have bucked a bit of firewood with the 880, but I have been known to use a browning pump 10 g in a game of "knock out"  at the doctors skeet club.  code name big Bertha!

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TmbrWlkr

Skeans1

If it's a toss up between the two the 3120 would be the way to go. They're cheaper to start with, better oiling, and if you do fall timber with them the bars swap around from the 562 up to the 3120.

Real1shepherd

My vote would be the 3120 if parts and service are good. The saw has been around forever since it replaced the 2101 and parts are plentiful. I don't like the fixed high speed jet, earlier models had fully adjustable carbs. Over on AS there's a guy that converts the carbs to fully adjustable.

And ditto on the oiling.

Kevin

YellowHammer

Bigger is better, chainsaw milling requires brute horsepower, good oiling, sharp chains and the best hearing protection.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

TmbrWlkr

Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 22, 2021, 08:45:19 AM
My vote would be the 3120 if parts and service are good. The saw has been around forever since it replaced the 2101 and parts are plentiful. I don't like the fixed high speed jet, earlier models had fully adjustable carbs. Over on AS there's a guy that converts the carbs to fully adjustable.

And ditto on the oiling.

Kevin
AS ?     Not familiar with it.

donbj

Quote from: TmbrWlkr on April 22, 2021, 10:55:30 AM

And ditto on the oiling.

Kevin
Arborist Site. Throw that in google and it'll come up. Lots of info there
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

SpaceBus

I have a 395XP, but only because I got a discount on it since it had been sitting on the shelf for about a year. If that saw hadn't been available I would have snagged a Stihl 880/881. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

TmbrWlkr

Quote from: SpaceBus on April 22, 2021, 02:50:04 PM
I have a 395XP, but only because I got a discount on it since it had been sitting on the shelf for about a year. If that saw hadn't been available I would have snagged a Stihl 880/881.
What bar size do you run?

Skeans1

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on April 22, 2021, 12:07:31 PM

And ditto on the oiling.

Kevin
Wow, that took guts. I just assumed they'd censor me if I mentioned another site by name. AS does, so does the 'pig' site.
Kevin

DHansen

donbj

Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 22, 2021, 08:01:20 PM
Quote from: donbj on April 22, 2021, 12:07:31 PM

And ditto on the oiling.

Kevin
Wow, that took guts. I just assumed they'd censor me if I mentioned another site by name. AS does, so does the 'pig' site.
Kevin
I had no idea about that, or intent to cross any lines. Just passing info along. Lots of good information and sites out there.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on April 22, 2021, 09:55:15 PM
Quote from: Real1shepherd on April 22, 2021, 08:01:20 PM

Kevin
I had no idea about that, or intent to cross any lines. Just passing info along. Lots of good information and sites out there.
It's just the sites' policy. AS and the 'pig' site were at war with each other. Yrs ago AS got hacked by some crazy bunch of Scandinavian hackers. They were only able to recover dialog, but lost almost all the pics posted over the yrs. That made a lot of members furious and they fled to the 'pig' site. Then, you didn't dare mention other sites or they would remove that part of your post.

Kevin

TmbrWlkr

And I thought fanatics were restricted to Religion and Politics - who knew?

TmbrWlkr

Hey - how's this for a Tshirt logo:

"Did you hear 
                    that Echo   
                    I am Stihl 
                         a Husky 
                           guy"

Real1shepherd

Quote from: TmbrWlkr on April 23, 2021, 03:45:19 PM
And I thought fanatics were restricted to Religion and Politics - who knew?
Every site has their own 'rhythm'. I was late to come here and at first, I was at cross purposes with a few members because of attitude and language. I had to figure out the site's rhythm. I'm sure there's a few here that would still like to gut me like a fish, but I'm trying not to give them opportunity.8)

OPE is a place I've never been to so far. I don't feel like I can take on another chainsaws site and try to keep up with things. I've heard good things about the place though.

The problem with some sites is they have brand specific threads. Typically, all the same questions keep getting asked about saw models, like Husky. And eventually that forges a pretty tough bunch of regulars that have little time & patience for newbies. Secret jokes, secret handshakes(OK, kidding about that one obviously). You either fit in or you don't, so attrition long time is pretty severe. Most of those places have lost some really knowledgeable people over the yrs that just got tired of all the bickering.

In difference to here where the saw forum is for all brands. AS for example, does have a 'general' board for chainsaws, but that's a great place to be gutted and filleted almost immediately. You are guaranteed to upset someone or be made fun of no matter what your query is.  They do have marque/brand specific threads too though. Some marque/brand threads work better than others. I'm a long time(I think 2009) participant of the Jonsereds thread there. Fantastic bunch of guys...we answer all questions with no attitude. We do have humor, but there's no exclusionary politics.

This is a great place too...just pick your battles and try to stay with stuff that ya know or care about at least. If you sit down to your PC, click on a chainsaw site and say to yourself "Who am I gonna fight with/antagonize tonight?"....you might wanna reconsider your motives.:)

Kevin

TmbrWlkr

Kevin - thanks for the thoughtful and insightful info.  I assure you that I am not one to go picking "cyber wars" - not my style and never could quite see the percentages in it.  Would rather be making sawdust.  I really do appreciate the accumulated knowledge base here and the generally laid back vibe.  I hope to be able to add my two drachmas from time to time. Thanks again.

SpaceBus

Quote from: TmbrWlkr on April 22, 2021, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: SpaceBus on April 22, 2021, 02:50:04 PM
What bar size do you run?
I personally run a 24" bar for my Logosol F2+. I have a 28" bar in the shed if I need it and that should cover anything my mill can handle. A 395xp can handle whatever bar you need for milling, with a few exceptions for super huge stuff, and I would really use an aux oiler/water cooling for anything over 28". 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

offrink

My experience is with an 880 and it's a good experience. I have milled some big stuff with a 72" bar. Mostly oak too. 

Thank You Sponsors!