iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moving a dead 97 ponsse s15h forwarder

Started by trecher2, August 02, 2019, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trecher2

Having some electrical issues with the forwarder and I'm wondering how to safety move the machine if its not under power. Well be pulling with skidder or dozer is there a way to kick the hydro out to tow it ?

barbender

It's your parking brakes that you will have trouble with. They are spring set/hydraulic release so the engine needs to be running to release them. You might be able to back the brakes off with the adjustment, I've never done it. I'd just call Ponsse and ask them. 
Too many irons in the fire

chevytaHOE5674

If it's like the newer ponsses there is a brake chamber at each corner that must be released before it will move (like caging the brakes on a semi) There is also a bolt to thread in and push the transfer case into neutral. Once that is done they move pretty freely.

If you just try to drag it things will most likely break.

Haven't worked on one that old so I can't say for sure. But a quick call to Ponsse and they will help you out. It maybe easier to fix it where it is.

trecher2

I don't have the brakes engaged as I was running it,  just looking to free up the hydro to tow it. I sure don't want to increase the parts counter by doing something stupid. I'll keep poking around and maybe call ponsse Monday. That's assuming the brakes don't engage automatically with loss of hydro power.

Skeans1

It's a spring over hydraulic system so in the event of the lose of power it will automatically set the brakes.

trecher2

Ok I'll look to cage the brakes, and then look into freeing the hydro drive.

nativewolf

Michael Berg has a good video on what to do to tow one that has lost power.  Like @barbender says...just call Ponsse, bet you get good support even on a 97 forwarder.  
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: trecher2 on August 02, 2019, 10:33:19 PM
Ok I'll look to cage the brakes, and then look into freeing the hydro drive.
This is on our TJ 1210 but it will give you an idea what you might be look for. On this machine I take #18(nut) and thread it all the way to the #19(bolt) then thread both the bolts on both sides in caging the spring internally in the #1(cylinder) hope this helps.
https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/76101/referrer/search/pgId/293376

barbender

I've also seen them dragged/pushed/slid onto a waiting lowboy trailer if you have a spare JD 748 around😁 Seriously, if it's something electronic I would call Ponsse and have them help you troubleshoot it. If you call the Rhinelander Service Center, they have some techs that have been around far longer than I have been around this equipment, and they k ow there stuff. It may take a little patience to get a hold of the right one, bt they'll get you pointed in the right direction. The only times I've seen them drug  out of the woods is with dead engines, as in a rod out the side of the block or something.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!