iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw race

Started by CX3, February 08, 2013, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Ok I've got a grudge match lined up with another logger buddy of mine.  Im running a 460 stihl stock at the moment. This is what im thinking for the outside ....port muffler,  go to 16" bar, 8 tooth sprocket, 

What else can I do. I can tear this saw apart piece by piece so im ready to get in there and modify. Also what chain and tips on making that chain really cut.
I know im beating a dead horse but its impossible to search on my phone. Thanks guys
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

tlandrum

i can help you out, i sent you an email
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

CX3

Sorry but I didn't get it. Pclancy81@  yahoo. Com
You Better Believe It!

lumberjack48

What are you running against ? How big is the log ?

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

CX3

12" oak
running against 440 stihl stock. But for some reason it outcuts my 460s
You Better Believe It!

JohnG28

Is he running a smaller bar than you? That could account for the apparent extra power. Those saws aren't too far apart in displacement and I think the 440 revs a bit higher. Is your 460 a mag? I read here a while ago that the mag has a slightly larger H nozzle in the carb which will flow more fuel, therefore more power. A dual port muffler and some tuning should easily bring you past a stock 440. I've never run a 440 and I hear they're real sweet saws, but my 460 pulls like a mule (20 or 24" and 7 pin) and I can't imagine it will take much to beat him unless there's something under the surface you're not seeing. ;)
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

lumberjack48

I had 3, 044 Magnums, when you hit the throttle the saw will move up and down, lots torque. Its a fun saw to run, its weighs about half as munch at full throttle theres so much air going though it. :D
I set-em to run on rpm, just like carrying a big sword a around.
Its the fastest stock saw i've seen in the same cc range.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

coxy

you can put more gaskets under the cyclender to change the port timing we do it with snowmoibles motors

JohnG28

Also, for 12" log you could easily use a 16" bar and an 8 pin sprocket. That'll get the chain speed up and more power to the cutters. A good square ground chisel chain should be best if the wood is clean.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

CX3

I don't know what it is but his 440 will flat cut. I am going to tear a saw down tonight and hone the exhaust out a little and order a bigger jet. The saw im playing with is not a magnum.

16" bar 8 pin sprocket and sharp chisel, got it....

What about the drags? Should I take them down a little more or just standard. ?
You Better Believe It!

lowpolyjoe

I hope you will be filming this  :)

JohnG28

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on February 13, 2013, 11:40:23 AM
I hope you will be filming this  :)

I second that. 8)

Once you get it set up make some test runs. I wouldn't mess with the drags until you try what you have to start out with. Same with the carb adjustments after opening up the muffler. Start on the rich side and work it back to where it runs best in the cut.

lumberjack48

When adjusting the high jet, i held it full throttle while turning the jet clock wise on till she started to dump, then turned it back tell she screamed.

I had a 034 Super, 16 inch bar, full chisel chain, sharped with 5/32 file, rakers 30 thou. in 12 to 16 inch wood it would out cut a 066.

I ran Stihls adjusted like this 8 yrs, never lost a cylinder.

CX3

I appreciate the replies. I know some of you are real pros.

I will film it.

Now if I can get this brake job done on my truck maybe I can make some time for chainsaw TLC
You Better Believe It!

HolmenTree

Quote from: CX3 on February 13, 2013, 10:08:35 AM
I am going to tear a saw down tonight and hone the exhaust out a little and order a bigger jet.

16" bar 8 pin sprocket and sharp chisel, got it....

What about the drags? Should I take them down a little more or just standard. ?
Forget about a bigger jet, you have more practical things to do to make that 460 come to life.
*Remove your muffler, pull the front cover off and drill out the baffle that covers the cylinder's exhaust port, even better remove it. You don't have the magnum dual outlet muffler front cover but you can add another outlet or enlarge ther stock one as much as you can. Does state law say you need a spark arrester screen? You may want to retain it , or just order a 460 Mag dual outlet front cover.

*Get a stop watch and time your cuts while adjusting your carb setting screws. On the H screw adjustment you want a little break tone at wide open throttle out of the wood, but not screaming flat out like a whistle. The stop watch will find the "sweet spot". Watch for knots in the log as your timing your cuts, one knot can change everything.

*Your cutting 12" oak that is still a tough piece of wood to power through in a speed cutting race. You will be running round filed chisel chain, forget the square ground stuff ,that takes alot of practice and skill to file or even get the right angles with a grinder.
With a 13/64" file the cutters down to just a little ahead of the rear rivet on the cutter. Nice agressive side plate hook but not overkill, top plate at 30-35°. Use a flat piece of brass [so not to lose you cutter's edge] for a straight edge and a .015 - .020 feeler gauge. File the depth gauges until you get to one of these settings.
Forget the 8 tooth sprocket ,run 7 tooth.
If you one day send your saw away to a good builder and get the cylinder modded, then and only then will you look at the bigger sprocket.
Good luck.   
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

tlandrum

i sent a message to the yahoo addy. i am one of those saw builders that can make your work saw have a whole new attitude.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com

AdkStihl

I bet that 044 is a 10mm. In that case your stock 046/460 will need some help  :D
Send it to Terry
J.Miller Photography

taylorsmissbeehaven

How does one know if they have a 10mm or not? Im new to saw building and have just purchased an older o44 magnum to build. Thanks for any help,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

tlandrum

if the cylinder has angled fins on the top and has never been changed then its 10mm if the fins are staright across and hasscrew in caps it sould be either. if the fins are straight across and it has flippy caps it is 12mm. if you can post your serieal number im sure we could tell you which it is.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com

torqueporting

Both saws are turning the same RPM and the 460 has more torque in factory settings. He either is better at sharpening a chain than you are or his saw is modified. Only way to beat him is a properly sharpened chain and/or have your saw modified as suggested by tlandrum.

Thank You Sponsors!