iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how much of my junk trees should I clear

Started by James P., October 07, 2009, 09:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

My Father and I cleaned up about 100X500 foot section of woods.This was a field years ago.We left many trees and piled up the brush.I built a house right across from this area.I mow it with a push lawn mower to keep the brush out of it now.Looks just like a park now.I got tired of looking at the brush piles in there.Probaly was about 15 years.Brush piles was maybe 5 feet tall.Took the tractor and tried to do something to the piles with the loader and I could just about drive over them as the piles were all rotted and were probably less than 2 feet tall by the time I got done with them.I hauled of the piles and made the place look alot better.There was no way that I could burn them being trees was just about touching the piles.
By the way,if you are thinking about burning the piles,any way the wind blows the flames it will cook,burn any nearby trees.Depends on how big the flames get,but I would guess any tree 40 feet away will get cooked.Have to think about the limbs,crown too.If the piles are mostly cedar I guess they would burn.But other wood I would think you would have a hard time burning them due to being too rotted inside the pile.The outside would burn,but doubt inside they would.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

How is the clearing of junk trees coming along?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

James P.

I could use a hand fishpharmer, thanks for the offer. Should I call you when I am near finished.  ;)4+ inches of rain yesterday made for a soggy woods but I just put on some rubber boots. Finding lots of baby loblolly pines . They must have been there all along just kept dying cause the lack of sun. Don't think i will have a problem getting a healthier woods going. anything beats black gum , and sweet gum. IMO

WDH

Quote from: James P. on October 29, 2009, 08:32:34 AM
Don't think i will have a problem getting a healthier woods going. anything beats black gum , and sweet gum. IMO

Now that is a true statement!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!