iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setters - made specific to one type of blade

Started by red pine, March 24, 2012, 01:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red pine

I am looking at possibly purchasing Cook's  dual tooth setter. I have been asked to provide blade thickness, tooth spacing, and blade brand. I am relatively new to sawmilling but thought that the setter would allow for adjustment as to thickness, tooth spacing etc. (may wish to change to different blades in future). I have not had opportunity to ask Cook's about this.  Redpine

coastlogger

For sure it would handle a variety within a range. Id imagine they just want to make sure the bands you are using are within the range of their machines capabilities.For instance there are bandsaws in large sawmills that are several inches wide,teeth on both sides etc. You dont want a setter for that etc...
clgr

bandmiller2

Prehaps they just want to set it up for you.Their setter should be adjustable for all common bands.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dan Sawyer

Yes - Each setter (at least from Cook's and most manufacturers) can do all narrow band.  The reason they are asking you the questions is to make sure they provide you the correct CAMs.  The CAMs are used to drive the wheel in the correct tooth profile when you are sharpening a blade.  Each manufacturer of blades has a slightly different tooth form and uses a different CAM when sharpening the blades.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CooksSaw

Quote from: red pine on March 24, 2012, 01:25:50 PM
I am looking at possibly purchasing Cook's  dual tooth setter. I have been asked to provide blade thickness, tooth spacing, and blade brand. I am relatively new to sawmilling but thought that the setter would allow for adjustment as to thickness, tooth spacing etc. (may wish to change to different blades in future). I have not had opportunity to ask Cook's about this.  Redpine
We ask those questions so that when you do get your setter it is already set up for the blade you plan on setting. It just saves someone some initial set up time when they go to use their setter for the first time.  Of course the setter is easily adjustable to handle a large variety of blade widths and tooth spacings so you are able to set up for most any blade on the market that falls into the 1-1/4 - 4" range.
If you do have any additional questions we can help answer feel free to give us a call 1-800-473-4804.

Take care,
James
Leaders In Bandsaw Technology!
Your source for Portable Sawmills, Board Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Band Blades, and Parts
Visit us at Portable Sawmill parts and bandsaw blades from Cook's Saw or call 1-800-473-4804
Email: james@cookssaw.com

Thank You Sponsors!