iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mix & match stickers

Started by rmack, July 27, 2013, 10:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmack

just wondering, will dry pine stickers cause any problems with other lumber, in particular douglas fir?
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

drobertson

not sure about df, but I have mixed syp with oak, all dry and have had no complaints, course I gave the stickers to them, it seems that some folks are more picky, not sure of the validity to their clam, it could very well be a valid point, I am of the opinion that dry is dry,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

I make all my stickers from bug killed and lightening killed pine. Never had a problem with sticker stain on anything..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ianab

It should be fine, 99% of the time it is, and DF is a pretty forgiving wood to dry.

Dry is the main thing to reduce the chances of staining.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

acrosteve

Does anyone have a particular size they prefer for their stickers?
Timberking B-20

bandmiller2

Acro,I've always used 1" stickers all being a byproduct of edging boards.They should be dry no bark.My standard length is 4' makes it easy to calculate BF in a pile.In a damp humid climate 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 stickers would help but you loose space. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ianab

I do mine at 1" x 1".

With the swingblade mill you tend to make stickers from the edgings, as you take out the taper in the log. So if you are cutting 1" boards, you make 1" stickers, it's just simpler that way.

Others have different preferences, and may go with 3/4 x 1" or 3/4 x 3/4 depending on how they are making them.

Much more than 1" and you cover too much of the wood surface and increase the risk of staining. Less than 3/4" and you restrict the airflow through the stack too much.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

mine are all planed to 3/4 thick by roughly 1 1/4 wide, that way when stickering there is no mistaking the side that goes down.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Skip

Cherry will bleed and so will walnut  :'(

NMFP

I typically make stickers 3/4 x 3/4 because anything larger, causes laminar air flow between the courses vs turbulent air flow.  Turbulant air flow pulls the most moisture from the air and deposits it off the lumber.  Laminar air flow redeposit the water on the lumber at another location, causing an area for mold growth.

Based on drying df, you can use just about anything.  Make sure your piles though are on the narrow side, no wider than 42".  This will cause the air to enter and leave the stack of lumber quicker and will help, especially if you have low air flow conditions.  This was true with a customer I worked with about a month ago.  He was building 6' wide packs and couldn't understand why when he kiln dried, the centers were wet of the pack and the edges were dry.
good luck and if you need any suggestions, please feel free to ask.

rmack

QuoteLaminar air flow redeposit the water on the lumber at another location, causing an area for mold growth.

never been a problem where I live...

semi-arid with lots of wind. lumber air dries very well here, at least the cottonwood I have cut up so far does. hate to admit what the sun does to it though  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

WDH

I have less mold and mildew problems with a 1" sticker and a 4' stack than with a 3/4" sticker for mold prone species like pine, poplar, and maple.  Just my experience.  This has been a difficult year for air drying with all the rain and high humidity. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

My stickers which are 3/4" by 3/4" are all made from dunnage boards I got at the local lumber yards .They are some type pine maybe fir they use to ship bundles of lumber with .Cut out on a table saw it comes out about even .A barrel full of stickers and a barrell full of sawdust .

qbilder

I buy bundles of furring strips to use as stickers when drying maple. Everything else gets stacked on whatever I got handy. The furring strips are pine.   
God bless our troops

Thank You Sponsors!