iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulley

Started by Norwiscutter, February 17, 2005, 01:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norwiscutter

Hey guys, I am putting together a dust collection for my shop, and have had to buy a motor to put on the dust collector.  The motor is a 5 horse, 1800 RPM Baldor which leads me to my question. The collector has a 6.5 inch three groove pulley on it and I was wondering if it was necessary to aquire a three groove pulley for the motor as well. If possible, I was thinking of running it with a single belt.  Do any of you have hard start applications like a blower with a single pulley driving it? 
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

woodhick

Need more information.
1. What size blower are using, impeller size.
2. What size intake on blower housing.

Are you sure it takes a 1800 rpm motor.  I have several dust collection blowers and they all run around 3500 rpm. ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Norwiscutter

The inlet is ten inches and the impeller diameter is 20 inches. The company recomended the 5 horse motor at 1750 RPM for 3400-3500 cf/m.  This amount is sufficient for my application. The larger the motor, the higher the recomended RPM. 7.5 horse is 2200, ten horse is around 2500 hundred, and the fifteen horse is around 2800 recomended RPM's.

Gilman

Norwis,
I'd stick with the three pulley design.  Also, when you get your belts make sure you specify a "matched set."  Otherwise the belts with be slightly different lengths and will wear quicker. It will work with one belt, but the belt will wear out quickly.

The people you order the sheave and belts from can look up belt requirements for you, based on rpm, and hp.  I could look it up but I'm lazy.  ;)
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Jason_WI

Our 10 HP silo unloader only has 2 belts on the blower that is about 20 inches in dia and is blowing wet, heavy silage. You could get away with a single belt with sawdust as it is light.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

D._Frederick

The amount of belts depends on the diameter of the Vee belt pulley, the smaller  the pulley, the less the area to grip the belt, the more belts required.

A 6inch diameter B size Vee belt pulley will handle all the power produced by a 5 hp motor, with a single belt.

Norwiscutter

thanks for the info guys, The belt grooves are 7/8 inch.  I feel comfortable with the single pulley being that it is just 5 horse.  The blower is rated for 15 horse, so in a higher horse application, it would probably be necessary to go to a double or tripple. Thanks for the help all.

Thank You Sponsors!