iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Daily Firewood Picture Thread

Started by mike_belben, May 09, 2021, 11:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on February 25, 2024, 03:34:15 PMThese three pics of this afternoons work tell me something.   
I really got to start taking the tractor with the forks to these jobs so that I can load them in 10 ft lengths instead of by hand.  Take the time,  move the machine, save my back. 
That's why the good lord gave us hydraulics.
And, a little processor would be the bees knees.   

How do you like to load them into your trailer with the forks - Over the side and let them roll in. Or, come from the side behind the trailer and set one end in the trailer then come around and push the log up and in from the end ? Or another way maybe ?

gg 

Andries

Quote from: Don P on February 25, 2024, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: Don P on February 17, 2024, 05:42:24 PM"One and one half cigars N."  ffcheesy
Nobody bit  ffcheesy, that was an actual callout on an early NC survey a friend had to rectify. We were wondering, big, small, on horseback or on foot?
Sounds like it might be 12" North, doesn't it?   :wink_2:
Burn rate is way too variable depending on humidity and pony speed.
Glad you 'splained it, I just scratched my head and moved on.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Mooseherder

I'm picturing someone with their head tilted back with one eye shut saying that.  ffcheesy

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: g_man on February 25, 2024, 07:19:55 PM
Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on February 25, 2024, 03:34:15 PMThese three pics of this afternoons work tell me something.   
I really got to start taking the tractor with the forks to these jobs so that I can load them in 10 ft lengths instead of by hand.  Take the time,  move the machine, save my back. 

How do you like to load them into your trailer with the forks - Over the side and let them roll in. Or, come from the side behind the trailer and set one end in the trailer then come around and push the log up and in from the end ? Or another way maybe ?

gg
g_man I usually cut a couple dozen rounds 16 inch and toss them in. That gives me a base on the trailer floor so what I drop from the tractor forks don't fall long or hit hard. Then I very gently put the forks over the trailer side tip em just ever so much till the log rolls or slides off. I put the smallest diameter in first. large one in last cause I can practically set them there. Easy on the trailer.   But I'd love a trailer mounted loader.  But the cost is nuts.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

thecfarm

I filled the back of my truck many times. One stick at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on February 25, 2024, 09:37:10 PM
Quote from: g_man on February 25, 2024, 07:19:55 PM

gg
g_man I usually cut a couple dozen rounds 16 inch and toss them in. That gives me a base on the trailer floor so what I drop from the tractor forks don't fall long or hit hard. Then I very gently put the forks over the trailer side tip em just ever so much till the log rolls or slides off. I put the smallest diameter in first. large one in last cause I can practically set them there. Easy on the trailer.  But I'd love a trailer mounted loader.  But the cost is nuts.

Thanks - good explanation. I've never run forks but can see they are pretty useful for lots of stuff. I have seen guys load flat construction trailers with forks  with great finesse but wondered about your deep trailer. 

gg

GRANITEstateMP

B.C.C. Lapp,  Does your tractor have rear hydraulic remotes?  If so, a grapple is a game changer.  My grapple is plumbed to my rear remotes, not ideal, it'd be great on my loader joystick, but I didn't have the coin for that!  Once you get used to it, you'll be trying to figure out why ya didn't do it sooner!

I loaded this up with the tractor, then hooked back up and brought it home.  It was a clearing for a new driveway, I got a call asking if I wanted it and it was a mile away.  It was all softwood and went to some of my campground customers
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

GRANITEstateMP

Sunday got a STRONG cord of 22in wood done up.  Its mine and now I got to get it stacked :veryangry:

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

SwampDonkey

We always loaded a straight truck with 10 cord of 8' aspen pulp with a John Deere with FIL. An old 2930 from the 70's. Sold it for $32,000, was more than was paid for it new. The hydrostatic shift on it worked better than on the new tractors we had. Only needed a clutch to stop quick. Best John Deere we ever owned besides a little small one we used a lime spreader on. But newer ones we had had cabs and 4x4, never liked them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cutterboy

Cut down an ash tree this morning for firewood. I got it skidded out of the woods and up beside the barn. The main stem got cut in half and skidded out separately and then another trip for two long branches.

I wanted to get that tree out of the woods in a hurry as the temp was rising. It got up to 50 this afternoon. So, the tractor is out of the woods for a while till things either dry up or freeze up again. I do have a lot of wood to split so I'll manage to stay busy.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Looks like a good one for firewood!!!
I try to get rid of those too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GRANITEstateMP

I ended up hauling manure for my wifes family today instead of working up firewood.  It got up to 50 here also, fields started getting greasy about the time I ran out of gumption!  Got a bunch moved between me and my brother in law, but after tomorrow am, its gonna be a while before we can haul again
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

newoodguy78

You hauling and dumping or hauling and spreading?

SwampDonkey

Cousin had several semi-loads hulled in of chicken manure the first part of the month. A lot of chicken manure and what looks like black carbonized wood gets spread around here. 
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GRANITEstateMP

newoodguy78,

Hauling from a too full manure pit and dumping in the fields.  We finally got to the.easy to move, don't make a giant mess material and thats when the sun warmed everything up and even the frozen ground was too slick
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570

B.C.C. Lapp

GRANITEstateMP I was spreading manure fast as I could Sunday and the last hour of light yesterday.   Rain moving in again and the fields will be soft for days.    

Yes I do have rear remotes on all my tractors.    And I have been wanting a grapple for some time, just haven't pulled the pin.   I'm always hoping to spot one at a farm auction cause sometimes stuff goes cheap there.  Sometimes. ffcheesy

A grapple would be a game changer.  Way better than the pallet forks I use now. 

g_man

We're on our third or forth mud season and it isn't even mud season yet. I'm pretty sure this wood I pulled out this morning on my little trailer will be last last for quite a while. Blocked it up on the trailer and made a pile. This area usually dries up quick. But maybe not this year. When it does I'll block up the main pile and then split it all.

gg

B.C.C. Lapp

ffcheesy ffcheesy Third or forth mud season. And it ain't even mud season yet. ffcheesy ffcheesy
A perfect description of this year. . 

upnut

Cleanup from the neighbor's walnut harvest continues, a whole load of busted up hard maple saplings and a nice load of bone dry dead red elm ready for the brother's OWB...
firewood_andy_s.jpg

Brother's latest project, build a mount for the hoist on the front bucket to assist with big chunks...a couple mods needed but saves heavy lifting...

firewood_roger_s_rig.jpg

Old guys still cutting

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

upnut

The end of the cleanup of the big maple tree, plus a couple other yard trees that were removed. A little dirt work from the landing spot, plus whatever the stump work entails. In my opinion, tree removal outfits earn every penny they charge, it's a lot of work...
firewood_the_end.jpg

The little Stihl MSA 200 C battery saw delimbed all the trees removed plus this pine that blew over yesterday. It worked perfectly in this scenario....

firewood_battery_saw.jpg

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

thecfarm

And no snow.  :wacky:
Yesterday I had a little snow, if I took a picture like that. With the rain with had in the night, I would think the snow is gone in my field now. Dark so can't see the field yet. But with temps in the 50's that little bit of snow I had in the open will be gone.

woodroe

Had a call for seasoned firewood couple weeks back so had to use the snowmobile and sled to get it up to the driveway. About 3 trips made a 1/3 cord load $160 delivered. Red Oak
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

B.C.C. Lapp

I found 4 good tri axle loads of poles that were cut last fall.   Got them for a good price.   Doing this kind of thing I don't make as much as I do with the wood off my own jobs but it speeds up getting a bunch of cords stacked and drying.

Still to wet to log. But I had a great  morning of splitting and stacking.

21incher

Cut some of the darkest EAB killed ash I have seen on my property. Those little m18 saws are awesome for firewood. 
20240308_132140.jpg

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

I have never seen any ash around here that had anything like that in it. We have white, and some green ash. Anybody know, could this be black ash?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!