iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Demo

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 12, 2022, 02:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

If the stars align and the weather holds true per long range (one week) predictions I am planning a couple of sawing demos at 2 different local flea markets this weekend. Mostly I am hoping to advertise and pick up some future mobile sawing jobs but maybe even some more immediate lumber or craft sales. Basically, I am planning on showing off the mill in operation and planting some more seeds. I talked to the owners of both flea markets. One in Beckley 25 miles away said fine and no charge as he hopes to draw business from it. The other 19 miles away is a former customer and said fine and I could set up in a nook on the opposite side of the main road next to the woods and a perfect place.

Saturday I am planning on my son bringing some of his logs and we will saw them. Right now we are planning on sawing probably some oak into 1" sheeting he can use on a shed extension he is building but if a customer wants them they are for sale.

On Sunday I plan on taking at least 3- 8' poplar logs in my 5'X8' trailer to the second flea market and saw one log every hour. I am thinking maybe saw 2X4s and a couple of 4X4 posts out of the first long. Unless a customer shows up wanting something else I'll saw the second long into 4/4 boards. Maybe the 3rd log will become LE 8/4 slabs with 1-2 of the slabs as 9/4 for bench legs. The last session I will do crafts like squaring the bench legs and sawing some lath strips and cookies (round and oval). I am also thinking about bringing a LE slab with mortises for the legs and some pre-cut bench legs and assembling and cutting the legs to length on a bench and maybe a 3 legged stool. 

I'll probably bring a few dozen tomato stakes and some air dried 2" X 3/8" lath strips, and a couple of bird houses and see if they sell. I'll bring a couple of benches including 1-2 with Lichtenburg engraving to sit on, set my cards on and hopefully sell. That may be overly ambitious for my schedule but we will see.

If any of you have done similar demos and have any advice please post them here. I sent a message to WM asking for updated brochures with material, equipment and price lists. I will see if they respond in time for me to get the stuff to have on hand to show potential customers. 

The difficult part on trip #2 is the number of trips because I am doing it all so at least 3 trips. First trip to take the trailer and logs and unload the logs and lock the trailer in the area. There are people who set up and spend the night so hopefully they will provide some security to the area. The next day I bring the mill and return it when finished then come back for the trailer with the finished lumber on it. Under the best conditions I will be able to sell the lumber, slabs and sawdust there at the flea market. I may offer discounts to encourage such at the end of the day. I even talked to a couple with a teenage son interested in woodworking and told them if he wants to off-bear he can learn and I'll pay him in wood. We will see if he is there next week. An attractive young lady who likes to off-bear is probably to much to hope for I guess (but I can always hope). :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

GAB

Mr. Green:
I did some sawing at a Harvest Festival a few times.
On one of those occasions I was approached by an individual who in front of many watchers asked if the trees had been selectively harvested.  I told him that: these logs are from trees that came down during hurricane Irene, and that this was a salvage operation.  ie salvage what you can.  He left and left me alone.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Old Greenhorn

Howard, consider some signs that list the things you can produce. Keep them simple and general like "custom rustic furniture", 'custom sawing of your logs' and things like that. You can't talk to everyone who walks by, but they can (hopefully) read. I would also display some stuff that shows your 'range' like a bench or two, bird boxes, slabs, sawhorses, whatever.
 For the signs, given the short timeline I would go with whatever you can make on a printer and plastic laminate them. I have a laminator for for stuff, but Staples or some shop like that will also do it. Given a longer timeline, nicer signs from vistaprint or some company like that may work, or you may have a local supplier. Find a way to let folks know what you do even when you are busy doing other stuff. It just raises the potential for returns.
 Good luck, I know you will pick up a bunch of work from either show.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

GAB,

Thanks for sharing. Since this in WV I doubt I will have any negative comments or tree hugger comments. Around here we realize natural resources are for utilization.

Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. I make and print simple signs, with prices where applicable, and post them where they will be seen easily. I even do things like post a sign saying "Blue Lives Matter. Buy a home for your local bluebirds" and staple it to my bluebird boxes with a few pictures of successful nestings (Eggs, babies, adults entering and leaving the boxes, etc). In this case I'll make some for "Fresh sawdust and campfire wood available - just ask. " I have not even tried the color or laminating - just simple B&W info sheets. I just update the list every time I go to another show/flea market. Many prices are listed "As Marked"

I also keep plenty of business cards scattered around. I have been getting calls from people off cards people got from me 2-3 years ago now.

The difference this time will be the actual sawing. Before I would normally have products for sale, last year I was actually showing the mill but this is a first sawing at such a demo. I have done workshops but normally they were more for educational purposes rather than strictly for commercial purposes. I will be trying to educate the viewers but the goal is more sales and more sawing jobs. Few people have actually seen a mill in use and I figure this will stick with them more. We will see.

Edit/Add-On: Tom I also will try to have samples of most of what I make as far as I can bring with me. I Sawhorses and toilets are too big for the limited space I will have after filling the trailer with logs. I can throw on some tomato stakes which should be in high demand due to people's garden sizes here now, a few birdhouses, a couple of crates, and some dry bundles of lath strips for crafts. I'll have a couple of small benches but usually bring a dozen - I can't do that this time with my tools and bands in the back of the truck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

I think I've probably sold as many simple cutting boards as anything. Just nicely figured pieces of about any useful size, rounded over edges and finished with a beeswax/mineral oil rub. There's a little work in it but people will pay $10-$20 /bf... for one board foot. There was one ambrosia maple board that sure wouldn't have brought $100 full length but did when chopped up.

WV Sawmiller

Don,

Very good point. I guess it is kind of like an artist looking at a piece of stone and recognizing the statue inside waiting to get out. There is tons of money to be made and many, many people to make happy with even low end wood if we recognize, cut, finish and market it correctly. Lath strips for crafts project as simple 1/2" drops and edged. If we did more of that there would not be much wasted wood out there. Charcuterie boards as another simple product with a big mark up from what I have seen submitted by many members here.

Actually, I am still a little surprised I have not yet received an offer from Roxie or Brandi to come off-bear for me after my original comment. I guess they are still working on their flight and travel schedules. ;)
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

I finished dragging 3 -8' poplar logs down yesterday and finished work on my tractor (Had to replace a fuel line and filter) today so it is ready to load them on my trailer to deliver Saturday afternoon and saw on Sunday. I'll visit my son in the morning to pick out the logs he has to saw. He cut a red oak or two yesterday and today.

I cut tenons on 7 bench legs and bored mortises in one walnut slab for a bench and 3 in a cut off for a 3 legged bench stool. I'll build and cut the legs off on the mill at the demo. I'll probably cut some strips and build a crate while I am there and take a walnut limb or top and make some cookies at the demo also.

Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

We went by my son's house and selected 3 oak logs for him to bring Saturday. Did some rambling with wife, GD#1 & #3 including late lunch. Was too hot and humid to do much else. Went by HF and picked up a few supplies for general use and the demo.

Late afternoon I went out and shrink wrapped some air dried 2" lath strips into bundles to take and hopefully sell this weekend. From the trimmings I cut 10 pieces which is the number needed to make a simple crate. Cut and planed 2- 8"X12"X1" walnut boards for ends and pre-drilled the 10 strips. I will assemble it at the flea market demo. Poplar and walnut make a real pretty crate if you have not tried it.

I did a little more sanding on my 2"X12"X 15" 3 legged stool and 3' LE bench. Both are walnut. I may take a little tung oil and wipe them down after I make them to show how that walnut just "pops" when you do.

BTW: Checked the weather and still showing clear with no rain and highs in low 70's. Looks perfect. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Sounds like it will go good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crossroads

Your creativity is impressive!
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

I will pack up today and meet my son about 5:30 a.m. tomorrow to go set up before the crowds get there and are in the way. I have decided on a tentative sawing schedule and made simple signs to post in the area. He has 2 nice RO logs and I will saw them to get a 3" LE mantel out of each plus the rest as 4/4 side lumber. Then the mantel will be on display and for sale the rest of the day. 

I will load my tools on my truck and fill every nook and cranny with crates and birdhouses, tomato stakes, log planter and lath strips and such. I figure at least one walnut chunk about 30" long for making into cookies/ovals. 

I'll load my trailer to take to Sunday's demo and take it over and unload Saturday afternoon at the site. The truck will remain loaded and I'll just top it up with more of whatever I sold if available. 

We will see if this draws enough attention to be worth the time and effort. I like meeting and talking to people so showing off the mill is fun. I called WM Monday and the lady said she was sending me brochures and such. I hope they come today so I can take them with me. We will see.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Whew! I am a wore out puppy dog. Right after posting the last post I walked out the door towards the barn and my wife called me back. Turns out the hot water heater had sprung a leak and royally flooded the basement so we moved wet boxes of books, luggage, rugs, etc. and I soaked up water and wrung out towels. To make things worse I found there was no isolation valve to the hot water heater and when I tried turning off the main, a butterfly valve it snapped off from corrosion. :'(My regular plumber did not answer or have voice mail set up so I tried several others. One major company near here told me it would be a month before they could come check. My local hardware dealer gave me names and I finally found one who responded about an hour later and after a couple more hours we had a new gas water heater, an isolation valve to it and a new ball valve on the main line. I still can't imagine why my old plumber did not put in an isolation valve when he put the last water heater in. (There was probably nothing wrong with it - turned out a bear had just stepped on and turned off the gas.)

Anyway I had just enough time to load up for this mornings trip.

I met my son and his 2 youngest daughters at 5:30 a.m. and we were at the Flea market and setting up by 6:00 a.m. He brought 2 nice 8' Ro logs and one scrappy 8' WO. I unhooked the mill and pulled the logs off his trailer with my truck and a cable.

A couple of benches, bundles of lath strips, tomato stakes, crates and birdhouses with one hat and coat rack. A tarp to catch the sawdust and the slabs on the edge. We sawed first log at 8:00 then one at 9:00. Then the wind picked up and I was getting too much sawdust to the neighboring areas so I stopped till about 1:30 or so when the crowd cleared. I sold about $65 worth of tomato stakes. (First 2 dz to an Asian who spoke no English and would call his wife on the cell phone to translate.) We had nice conversations with many people and gave out business cards. We will see if it generates actual work or when.

The logs returned 340 bf of lumber. I cut a 3" LE mantel (18" & 20") out of the center of each then a 6" cant on each side without ever thinking I was mostly getting quartersawn lumber as a result. Duuh- that is the basic way WM suggests. Not RRQS or nearly as clean as Robert gets but a high percentage and unless someone buys it first is just sheeting for a shed extension my son is working on.

At the end of the day one old couple came by and wanted a small (Dz pint size) crate which I sell for $10. The guy wanted it for an end table but only had $5 and tried to get it for that. I gave him the crate and a card and told him send me the $10 when he could. If he does, he does, if not, I won't starve or miss it.

My son gave the slabwood and sawdust to some folks he knew there so that helped with our clean-up.

I came home, dropped the mill, loaded 3 poplar and one very small cherry log on my trailer and took them to the other flea market 19 miles away. Tied the logs to a tree and drove out from under them with no fuss. I locked up the trailer and came back and hooked up the trailer, topped up my tomato stakes and am ready for tomorrow.
Howard Green

Crossroads

I hope it pays off for you. I m staying busy with mobile jobs, but it seems like they're not coming in as fast and I'm trying to find some new advertising. Talking to my wife about getting set up at the state fair to do some demo and pass out cards. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Crossroads,

I am a very social person so I enjoy talking with people and am never shy around strangers (Whatever that word means) so I enjoy these outings.

Immediate sales are small and rare but delayed jobs are often real good although sometimes months and even years later. Several people I met yesterday said they would see me again today. Today I am in a very isolated spot so the wind and sawdust should not hinder my operations.

My wife is even talking about possibly coming. She can sell her photos if she likes. She is less gregarious than me so we will see if that happens.

This is year 7 of sawing for me and the majority of my sawing business is now repeat or referral so it takes a while to become known from what I see. People see me all the time and say "Aren't you the sawmill guy?" so events like this take time but do pay off. In a larger, more urban area it might not be as important or work as well. You have to use what works for you and in your area. My best source of advertising is a local trader paper that pretty much centers my target area. I don't want people calling me from 75 miles away although I will take such jobs. I am chasing the small local jobs 20 miles away. A monthly service ad there costs $10. That and the door signs on my truck seem to work best for me after repeat/referrals business.
Howard Green

thecfarm

Sorry to hear about the hot water heater.
I bet if you told the plumber he did not be in a valve he would be shocked.
Hot water heater went on me too.
But we were lucky!!!
Wife went into the basement and saw a small leak. Turned out to be much bigger, but it mostly stayed in front of the heater. Just a radiator with a fan behind it. It was in the winter months, so I turned the louvers down towards the floor and turned the heat way up. That dried the floor out. Pulled out a couple box fans to help out too.
I hope the demo will go well for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Man that sucks about your water heater. Good thing you were at least at home and your wife was paying attention! That cutoff valve missing is unforgivable, sorry. All water heaters WILL need replacement.
 I had a similar experience with my well tank and we got REALLY lucky. After being on vacation for a full week and a very long drive home when the kids were still young (so, like 20something years ago) I walked in to check the boiler room as soon as I got in the house. It's a habit my Dad taught me when I was a kid. I noticed the floor under the tank was wet, but more wet than it would be from sweating. Sure enough I felt a drip from the bottom of the tank and some rust blisters. No shut off on the tank then either. So I shut off the well pump, took the pressure off the system, unloaded the truck quick as we could and headed to town and got a slightly bigger tank and some valves at Lowes. By 9pm that night all was in good shape but I was tired.
 The worst we had was when the boiler split wide open in November. That was not good timing and was expensive. It also made quite the mess.
 Good luck with today's demos. Glad to hear you are moving some merch!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

WV Sawmiller

To slow down the process I had the plumber install copper fittings like the rest of the system instead of the PEX he had planned on using. My son has PEX fittings through out his house and has had several incidents, mostly from a stock of bad fittings that made the circuit. Other than a pinhole leak where a copper line rested on an iron nail I don't remember any significant (if you can call the pinhole significant) issues.

I got up and left about 6:00 a.m. and was set up a little after 7:00. People seemed a little slow drifting in so I did not saw a log till 8:30 when an excited couple from Illinois came over telling me about the LT30 that had just bought but had not used yet. I sawed simple 4/4 boards out of the first log and they had lots of question and sincere interest.

Assorted crafts with mill in the background

Another view. You can see the 3 poplar logs and the small cherry log in front of them.

View from the end. I was in a nook on the opposite side of the main access road with no close neighbors to be bothered by the sawdust.

The second log I sawed as 2X4s and 4/4.  It was a challenge to saw due to 2 big cracks in the end going different directions. Then I made a 3 legged stool just to try out the process, finally cut a piece of poplar firewood into 1" & 2" cookies. Late in the day I loaded the small cherry and cut it into 3/8" lath strips and edged them from about 2.5" to 5" wide.

A couple pulled up and parked next to me in my spot and we talked a bit and the guy said he'd like the lumber from the last log so I sawed it into 22 1X6 and 3 1X4s. I'd told him a bf rate and estimated 70-80 bf but it was 96 so we compromised a bit on the price and both left happy. He got the lumber he wanted and I did not have to load and take it home and then he bought my cherry strips for his wife. She wanted a couple of the fresh cut green poplar cookies and I told her make me and offer and it would be accepted. he said $1, she said $2 so I sold her 4 for $2 then gave her the other 8-9 which i would otherwise have thrown away. I sold 5 dozed tomato stakes, a bundle of 2" lath strips and a couple of birdhouses and talked with several potential customers who swore they were calling me soon to cut their logs. Just over $200 for the trip, $20 for the spot and mileage so no high profit but helped cover expenses and I met and talked with some nice folks.

I loaded the trailer and brought everything home first. The mill was more valuable but harder to steal and the other stuff was more pilferable and there were others around to watch. I got everything home, mostly put away cleaned up.

I am having an issue with the up/down feature when setting it. It is hard to toggle up or down in small increments which it used to do easily. I am concerned last week's broken power across my mill like may have sent a surge through it. It is hard to make fine adjustments now. I'll troubleshoot some tomorrow and try disconnecting the battery and see if anything reboots.
Howard Green

cutterboy

Howard, sounds like a good day for you although you must be tired. I hope some of those contacts turn into jobs.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Crossroads

Glad to hear you had another good day! Keep us posted on the up/down issue, I hope it's a simple fix. 

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, I can't understand and before you could just bump the handle up or down. Up would raise it a sixteenth of an inch or so but just enough to clear your last cut and down would activate the setting on the Simpleset to drop to the programmed setting with used. Now it locks and a couple times went to the top when I did not notice. Should not be a hard fix. I just hope no damage to the drum switch.
Howard Green

Crossroads

Mine has actually done the hang up thing going up a couple times in the last week. I think I'll grease the drum switch during lunch 

Crossroads

I see the roller on the right side is lisping to one side and appears to be the hang up. Glad I have a spare in waiting 

Old Greenhorn

Are you saying that your mill has a speech impediment? :D

WV Sawmiller

I took the handle off, one flat tip screw, reversed it and re-installed it and now it works perfectly - like it did before. Easiest fix ever. 

I will check to see if there is wear on the plastic handle letting it slip past the square corner. If it does I think I have a spare handle from the last time I replaced the drum switch on the forward and reverse last year. 
Howard Green

SawyerTed

Sounds like all-in-all the demos went well.  I've done a couple and sometimes it is 18 months or two years and I get a call from someone who picked up a business card.  

I like your variety of products.  That's something I need to keep in mind.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!