When do you change blades?

Started by FactorySeconds, January 24, 2023, 11:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FactorySeconds

Personally, I take a few queues from the cut to tell me when to change:

Wavy cut not caused by knots
The blade hops when coming out of the cut
Metal strike

I was curious what others do. A specific length of time maybe? I'm sawing 100% live edge through frozen logs in winter so I'm certain I'm not getting the same blade life as most but are there some 'secret' tells from the cut beyond what I'm looking for?

fluidpowerpro

I notice that it makes a different sound when cutting. It starts the be a higher pitch. As soon as I start to hear that I change the blade.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

bushhog920

Wavy cut in a knot is the first sign the blade is getting dull. I have a sharpener I don't wait until I start cutting bad lumber. Every couple of logs while it's still cutting good I take a 10min break and touch it up on my cooks sharpener.

Magicman

Do not wait until you see indications that the blade is "getting dull".  A blade that is "not sharp" but still sawing straight is ready to be replaced.  Replace "not sharp" blades before they get "dull".

Generally, two hours of continuous sawing is enough to reduce the sharpness enough to justify replacement. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Years ago when I enquired about this I was told that blades will start to crack in the gullets, and after around 2.5 - 3 hours of rotation time they cracks will be deep enough that they might not be removed by sharpening.  Then the cracks grow and the blade breaks.

This is where some mills that stop band rotation except when the blade is in the log have an advantage over a mill such as a Baker.  On my Baker, unless the mill is idling the band is always turning, and  hence wearing the band in form of gullet cracks.

Thus, if I limit rotation time to 2 hours or so I'll have much longer band longevity than if I push it longer.  Sharpness is not as much of an issue here as rotations.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

beenthere

Also, review yellowhammer's video where he points out watching the sawdust stream exiting the cut.  

Watch the rooster tail coming from the cut.

Professional Sawmill Secret to Increase Your Sawmill Speed and Quality at Hobby hardwood - YouTube
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Watch your sawdust, it can tell a story too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

WM says 2hrs regardless of how many bf.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

fluidpowerpro

YH, thats a great video. I learned a lot. I'm going to start watching the exiting sawdust more closely.
Change is hard....

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

FactorySeconds

ladylake

I think I go by sound the most, or the 2 hour rule.  steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

FactorySeconds

Quote from: beenthere on January 24, 2023, 12:59:12 PM
Also, review yellowhammer's video where he points out watching the sawdust stream exiting the cut.  

Watch the rooster tail coming from the cut.

Professional Sawmill Secret to Increase Your Sawmill Speed and Quality at Hobby hardwood - YouTube
I've watched that video countless times at this point. It's great. The rooster tail really helped to dial in and understand the relationship between setup and milling.

Resonator

A good sharp blade will cut the wood fibers into tiny "chips", a dull blade will abrade the wood like a sander, and make a finer dust than a sharp blade.  If you saw the same type of wood regularly, you get a feel for what the sawdust should look like coming out of the shoot. Also from running a manual mill, I can feel the resistance pushing through each cut get harder as the blade dulls.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WV Sawmiller

I walk beside my mill and can feel when it starts to strain even though it is still cutting good. Many times I have said "I'll change blades when I finish this cant then a couple boards later DING - a broken blade."
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

Quote from: FactorySeconds on January 24, 2023, 04:04:06 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on January 24, 2023, 02:20:30 PM
Watch your sawdust, it can tell a story too.
care to elaborate?
Simply put, the sawdust will get finer as the blade dulls!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

The sound of the blade and the sound of the engine lets me know when the blade begins to get "not sharp".  There's a tone to a sharp clean cutting blade and the tone changes the "less sharp" the blade gets.

The sound of the engine changes as well.  Along with the engine note, the feed dial has to be turned ever so slightly more to maintain feed rate.  

Before I started doing my own sharpening, I was guilty of pushing the blade to dull.  When I started sharpening my own blades, I tended to change "sooner than later."   Besides making blades easier to sharpen, production is better and blades last longer.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

fluidpowerpro

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 24, 2023, 05:56:35 PM
  I walk beside my mill and can feel when it starts to strain even though it is still cutting good. Many times I have said "I'll change blades when I finish this cant then a couple boards later DING - a broken blade."
I've done the exact same thing and then when it happens I kick myself because I knew it was coming. Now I swap blades as soon as I hear the pitch change.
Change is hard....

barbender

I hate changing blades so I push them no matter what🤷‍♂️😊. 
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: barbender on January 24, 2023, 08:10:34 PM
I hate changing blades so I push them no matter what🤷‍♂️😊.
FINALLY! Somebody who has the courage to say out loud what I am always thinking. Just a couple more boards yet. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Your sawdust should look like grits, not flour.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

If it's sawing straight, I don't care😁

I run 1.5" bands, .045" up to .055" thick. I think when my mill was built 1.5"x.045" was the "heavy" blade the crazy guys ran, and 1.25"x.042" was the standard production blade. Well, add in a debarker in the way, and changing blades on my mill is a chore and I avoid it until I have to. Besides that, it seems like every time I pull a blade early, thinking I'm doing the right thing, I install a new one and turn around and saw right into a backstop or something🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

It must be a lot easier to change blades on mine then. With the hinged covers its a minute or so to replace them then back to sawing.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

kelLOGg

Quote from: Southside on January 24, 2023, 08:58:46 PM
Your sawdust should look like grits, not flour.   :D
If I'm running a 4° band (as I always do now) the sawdust always looks like flour. I go by the "hop" to determine when the band needs replacing.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Patrick NC

I'm also guilty of sawing with a dull blade as long as it cut straight. Especially since I switched to 1.5" blades. They cut straight much longer than 1.25. Now that I have a sharpener I plan to kick that habit.
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!