iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt30 variable feed drive update?

Started by Jeff, February 03, 2023, 09:58:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Has anyone come up yet with a way to modernize the variable speed control on an older wood-mizer? Mine was giving me a lot of issues last year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jack S

Jeff, I think my $15 controller I use on my mill would be an easy retrofit. 

Jeff

Does that have a part number so I can look it up? My mill has zero setworks. Only up down and forward and back. Only back works well

Jack S

I bought it off ebay buy it now Jeff, Just look for speed controllers. I have spares I'll look for a pt number when I go out to the shop.

I did a writeup on the norwood forum a few years back which shows a lot of info.  super easy to install really power in  and power out to the motor. good for up to around 60 amps if I remember right. My wheel chair motor draws around 8 amps when sawing. When Bruno was having so much trouble I thought  if I lived  near him I'd have him up and running in no time at all. Be so easy to install temporally if need be.  You may. have a problem potentiometer or whatever woodmizer calls it. they are cheap and easy to replace.

2 leads to motor and 12  volt 2 leads into the controller. set the off on forward reverse switch turn the pot to the desired speed. always a soft start soft stop ( factory recommended ) miniature contacts cant handle arcing.
These controllers are not polarity protected so instant destruction if hooked up backwards.  Been using mine for 2 years and works very well. 

Jeff

So, it would be detrimental to use it as a speed control in conjunction with the forward reverse drum switch?

Jack S

I have no experience  with woodmizer  parts or terminology so I really cant say. My guess is that the drum switch is forward-neutral backward  or speed control, or both  in one module. when I did mine I changed the frd-rev-off switch to a round hole mount  better quality switch and also to a better quality potentiometer .
Maybe MM could help answer your question .

Jack S

I forgot to add  these speed controllers do it all  switching travel and speed super simple and cheap.

Jack S

12V 24V 48V 2000W 9-60V 40A DC Motor Reverse Variable Speed Controller PWM HHO

sure hope this is ok to post  delete if not 

Patrick NC

I did Basically the same thing to my hd36 when the wireless remote started acting up. About $40 worth of parts and a couple hours to wire everything. You can use the speed controller and a forward/neutral/ reverse toggle switch and eliminate the drum switch. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Jack S

Thankyou Patrick,

not been around woodmizer for repair work I would love to see a schematic of the wiring associated with  the drum switch and whatever else is associated with the carriage drive.
Their seems to be quite a lot of problems in this area. 

Thank You Sponsors!