The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: How have you guys worded "Lumber for sale" ads in local papers?  (Read 6376 times)

Offline fencerowphil (Phil L.)

• Senior Member x2
  • LIKE CUTTIN' LONG! 30FT!
    • Share Post
Re: How have you guys worded "Lumber for sale" ads in local papers?
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 05:52:14 PM »
Warren,
I got so many "round toits" hanging 'round that somebody ought to
feel sorry for me, but the wife says,  "NOT!"
I Saw Jake Dean on Tuesday.   Is that orange thingmajigger you bought
off him treatin' ya' right?  Jake was setting up his resaw rig.

Kelvin,
I just had my fifth call in two days off the last batch of post cards I sent
out.   I have never had five calls off of a classified.  I don't even think
about display ads.  Earlier, I had said I mailed fifty cards.  I think it was a little less than that.
Responses:
                   1.   "Need to have six trailer loads of ply-logs sawed."
                           (Veneer grade that sat too long,  24" average dia.)
                    2.  "Got your card.  My previous sawyer and I had a
                           problem.  Let me gather a few more logs first."
                    3.  "We cut a  3-4 ft. thick oak, solid as a rock.
                           Think its 15' long.  Is that something you could use?"
                    4.   "Do you sell wood, as well as saw it?"
                    5.  "Have cleared some land.  20 oaks to be trailer decking
                           and my brother will bring in some good pine logs."
Whachathimkaboutdirectmail?
 ;)
Phil L.                                   Makes me wish I hadn't sold my second swinger.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline DR_Buck

• Senior Member x2
  • Nuff said.....
    • Share Post
    • Got Logs?
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »
Phil,

How did you develop the direct mail list?   What was you source?   

Kelvin,

Another way I snag a lot of customers is I made up a small (8 1/2 x 11) flier with a small holder for business cards attached to it and hung one on the bulletin boards at all of the local farm & feed supply places.    Every few months I make the rounds and replenish the cards or replace the fliers.    I originally thought this would bring in a lot of fence board customers.   Well mostly I snag woodworkers and farmers that want boards for projects, barns and sheds.   I recently snagged a job way to big for my part-time operation.  Turned out to be over 30,000 bf of sawing.  I passed it off to another full-time sawyer that also expanded the job into building a barn for the guy.  He had almost 4 months of work out of that one.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Wood-Mizer LT40 Super- Wide HDG38
Lucas Dedicated 60" Slabber

Offline fencerowphil (Phil L.)

• Senior Member x2
  • LIKE CUTTIN' LONG! 30FT!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2007, 06:14:23 PM »
Good one,  DR Buck!  That idea should definItelee get STOLE!

My source?    I searched with the internet for "land clearing" and "tree services."
Best thing about it is you can block copy the info and don't have to type them all
up -  and don't have to pay someone to send you a mailing list.

I refined what I found and narrowed it down, then customized a card for the locals -
within an hour's drive.  Did another card for a larger, but more distant metro area,
which can afford my rates on the really BIG LOGS.  Haven't mailed them yet. 

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline fireman05

• Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2007, 09:12:29 PM »
Kelvin,

I agree with that has already been said.  I do run occasional ads and when a client calls, I ask specifically what they are looking for and intend to do with my product.  I assist them in suggestions to make my product work for them and schedule an appointment.  Most of my clients either come out on a weekend or in the evenings during the weekday. 

I do guide the conversation and if it looks as though the discussion is going no where and the client is wasting my time, I attempt to break away.  This doesn't always work.  I do not allow customers to be in the shop if machinery is operating due to liability.  This is sometimes all a client is looking for!  I show pictures or take clients to some demo jobsites I have done work for. 

When all else fails ask them how much material they would like loaded into their vehicle!! :D  This worked on 2 clients who thought I had plenty of time to talk.  They politely ended the conversation and left.  They both came back at a later date and made purchases and have purchased several times since.

Even though these people take time, sometimes the time spent results in an educated and satisfied customer.  Sometimes not.  You will know which ones are wasting your time.

Good Luck.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

Offline Cedarman

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Cedarusa
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »
People look in the wanted section of classified more than the for sale section, I believe.  So if you do use classified, word it. Wanted, someone to buy _________ whatever. People look at this section more because they may find someone wanting what they have. 
I agree with most that classifieds are not the best way to get customers.

When potential customers show up.  Have a plan onhowyou are going to control the conversation.  This is extremely important if you want to get things rolling. 
Body language is important.  If sitting, stand up.  This is a sign the meeting is concluding.  Head toward the customers car or truck.  Did they come in a car?  Probably not wanting much right now.  Although I have put a good bit of lumber in a trunk that they wanted cut in 4' lengths. 

Keep on track, ask "Is there anything else I can show you".
Don't start another story yourself.  It is tempting at times to keep talking.
Above all else, keep in mind that you are in charge of the meeting.  Have set goals.
Preplan what you want to show, how you will show it.  Make a written list of the points you want to make with each customer.  You are in sales at this moment. Learn the art of closing the sale.   There are full books on this subject.
Be sure to get the customers name and phone number.  Have a ticket book handy if the customer wants to place an order.  Keep a pen in your pocket at all times. Have business cards in your wallet ready to hand out.  Always hand it so the customer can read it.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter