iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Origins of the Forestry Forum

Started by Jeff, March 28, 2008, 06:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

These photos depict something that I attribute to the beginning of the Forestry Forum. Maybe it could be explained as "7 separations of the Forestry Forum" It's not that they are old photos from the Brokaw family history, but its the activities that are going on, and how those activities eventually brought about the start of the Forestry Forum. I thought it might be fun for you to guess how this possibly could be explained, and then at some point, I'll tell you the "Rest of the Story"  :)

Left to right beginning in the back. My Dad's dad. Manley Brokaw. Grampa was 6'6" and taller then anyone I ever saw photographed with him. He was a huge fellow in his day. Next to him is my Grandma, Flora Brokaw. Next to her would be her mother, my great grandma Lydia Christ. I don't know the next two for sure but think they are siblings to my Grandma Brokaw. The guy with the wide brim hat is my grandma's dad. My Great Granddad, Donus Christ. The children are all of my dads brothers and sisters. The little guy clear to the right, that my Dad.  :)

My Grandparents all died decades before i was born.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Looks like there could have been some characters in that group. ;D :)
I was thinking today there should be a camera crew following you around with all the happenings and characters here on the Forestry Forum that would be one heck of a show. ;)

Jeff

I can add this, as the nut didnt fall far from the tree.

Jeff

My Great Grampa Donus Christ.  I like this photo. one of the many old Pine Stumps my dad told me about that were long gone by the time I came around.

customsawyer

Jeff in the drawing of you on the wood are you eating a bowl of grits.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ron Wenrich

Seems like we're looking at the south end of your great gramps quite a bit in the several of the upper photos.  He must be the supervisor on Saturday bath times.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Furby

Food prep, eating and talking, guess I don't see any connection to the forum. :-\

thecfarm

There's something going on in them last 2 pictures that involves an axe.Looks like they are sharping something.I can see shavings.

Edit alert.They're not making ice cream are they??? That picture with the ladder,do I see a churn???

More edit alert.Eating ice cream in the first picture.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

Very nice family photo's and in that first one I thought sure that was you Jeff until I read what's under the picture. You look just like your dad.

Other than that, I haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Mooseherder

Gary_C

Jeff

Yep, its eating and making ice cream. They are busting up ice as they need it. That might be what you see as shavings, is the ice shavings.  I wonder whatever happened to that old dinner bell in the photos?

So, Ice Cream and the making of it. Has a lot to do with the origins of the Forestry Forum...

thecfarm

Always was a big deal to try to find snow to make ice cream for my Grand Father's birthday in May.Some years they had ice crearm,some years they did not.No pictures.Seems like they had time to take pictures of the farm animals,but not many of the people or the events on the farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

That is exactly the same life and times the family had around here. My grand father, dad and uncle, more so than my aunts and grandmother,  made ice cream like it was going out of style. Oh, I'm sure they ate it to. :D

The two major kinds they made were maple walnut and grapenut, they were very popular varieties around here. You ask an old timer what flavor he wants, it's either of the two.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Where did they get the ice? From the leaves on the trees, it does not appear to be spring time where they could have gathered or stored some.

What year was that?

I recall hearing that years ago some companies cut and hauled ice from lakes and stored it in warehouses under straw for summer use.

Jeff

The Brokaw's always had Ice. Thats part of the Story. ;D

The year of the photos must predate 1930 as that is the year that My Great Grandfather, Donus Christ Died.  (By the way, Christ is pronounced with a short i. Rymes with "mist")  Christ was also my Dad's middle name.

Mooseherder

Our Govenor for Florida is Charlie Christ pronounced the same way
and so far just about everyone likes him. ;) (I did but don't anymore)
Wonder if there is any relations ???

Dave Shepard

Ice harvesting was big business years ago. Dennis Picard, who runs Storrowtown at the Big E (Eastern States Expo, known by all New Englanders  ;) ) knows a lot about ice harvesting. There were warehouses so big they drove entire trains inside to unload, and the steam from the engines would create their own clouds and it woud snow inside. At one time ice was a major export of the US, being shipped as far as India. Product loss was near 50% sometimes. :o

Great pictures Jeff, I like history, even if it's someone else's. :)

Dave

PS, I wasn't worried for a minute that you were eating grits. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

This is Lucy Brokaw  Jan. 19, 1855 - May 14, 1909 And Abraham Brokaw  May 29, 1845 - Feb. 18, 1909, my great grand parents. They are standing in front of what would eventually become the Brokaw Ice House. Its just east of the driveway of the house that Abraham.s  son built, my Grampa. That house, which we call the old farm, still stands today and was built by my Grampa in 1904.

Below is the old Farm. My Dad is on the left, my uncle Ron on the right. My Dad started his Biography shortly before he died. He only wrote one chapter, but included a story about his relationship with his little brother Ron. I posted about that several years ago.
LINK If you read the link, My dad will help fill in part of this story where he tells about Ice and Ice Cream. :)

Believe it or not, I'm preparing to tell you what this all has to do with the start of the Forestry Forum. ;)

asy

Hey Boss, this is FAR too cool!!!

I can't wait to hear more. It's sorta like the boy's diary. Just waiting for the next instalment. :)

Ice cream and all :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Dave Shepard

DanG, I forgot all about ole Plupy, I wonder what kind of trouble he's in these days. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bibbyman

Dad tells about the time when he was a kid when they had a terrible hail storm.   He said the hail was a foot deep along beside the buildings, fence rows, etc.  They took it in stride and made ice cream.  Free ice back then was a real gift.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

I think Gary never heard tell of ice houses, and where Jeff is with all that water there would be no shortage of ice and most likely some ice houses. They kept the ice in those shacks and covered it with layers of sawdust and more ice to keep it. It would be good until the end of August at least. My grandfather on mom's side hauled ice all winter for town and Catholic church on the reservation next door. They lived on the bank of the 'Rhine of the North' Saint John River and the Tobique. ;D Gramps needed ice to keep the salmon he would angle out of the river all season.  8)  Hydro dams spoiled everything for convenience.  :-X >:(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

As far as i know there where major ice operations in Maine and New Brunswick, they shipped the stuff by boat all over the globe like sugar.  8)

Gary_C

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 29, 2008, 07:23:59 AM
I think Gary never heard tell of ice houses,

Ya, I can't quite remember back to the 1930's since it was more than ten years before I was born. Plus I was raised in a large town and do remember the ice man making deliveries and you could put a sign out by the front door if you wanted one or two blocks. This was back in the early forties and I do not know where they got the ice as there wern't many lakes in central Iowa.

Also one of my duties at home was to keep the stoker filled with coal. We had a basment window in the coal room along the driveway where the truck would dump the coal. Then it was my job to shovel the coal into the stoker. I still have that coal shovel. 

Thank You Sponsors!