iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Google ads

Started by Dan_Shade, May 28, 2008, 05:56:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I'm sure that you guys have noticed the Google ads on the forum over the past few days.  Jeff and the other admins decided to incorporate them into the forum to help offset some of the costs of forum operation. 

The ads are randomly selected by Google, and often based upon keywords in the topic that you are reading.  The political ads that are showing up at the bottom of a page from time to time are selected by Google, not by Jeff.

With the increased traffic that the forum has seen over the past few years, these ads are an integral part of providing revenue to keep the forum online.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_S.

I think they add to the forum, political ads not withstanding. I have seen some interesting sites that I would not have know about otherwise. Guess we have to take the bad with the good.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Shotgun

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 28, 2008, 05:56:33 AM
The ads are randomly selected by Google, and often based upon keywords in the topic that you are reading.  The political ads that are showing up at the bottom of a page from time to time are selected by Google, not by Jeff.

Randomly selected?  There hasn't been any political discussions on this forum...has there?  I wonder why Google puts up political ads?  ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Gary_C

Quote from: Shotgun on May 28, 2008, 09:46:03 AM
Randomly selected?  There hasn't been any political discussions on this forum...has there?  I wonder why Google puts up political ads?  ;)

For the money, just like Jeff.   ;D

And yes, there are a few discussions that have evolved into politics, energy policy, etc.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Over the last week, I've only been on a short while today, (out getting a sunburn in Everette, WA over the weekend  :) :) ), and so far have found the Google ads to be rather interesting, and have explored a few.
Can't imagine anyone being bothered by them, but then there are a lot of things that I can't imagine.  :)

In short, I like them for what they are.  Ads a new dimension to the forum (pun intended) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paschale

Here's my thinking on the political ads.  From what I understand, all that's shown up is a John McCain ad.  Well, I think Google is so far reaching in its desire to earn advertising dollars that they not only target ads for the things a particular forum like ours is about, but they actually profile the type of people they think populate certain types of forums.  I would say it's a safe bet that Google assumes that people who like to talk about cutting down trees aren't the conventional tree hugger type.   :D  They probably assume that most chain saw toting people are died in the wool conservative types, (and I'd say that it's a fairly safe assumption that most people on the forum are of a more conservative bent).  I don't think there's any reason to get up in arms about a random John McCain ad that the Forum has no control over.   I personally will have a hard time voting for anyone come this election, but that has no bearing on whether or not I'm willing to support Google ads that will help support the Forum. 

Just my two cents on the subject...
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

I actually think its much simpler then that. The Democrats just have'nt purchased ads from google. There is no reason why they wouldnt show up here as well. One thing you can do if you dont like a particular ad, you can click on it and cost them some money and make a few cents for the forestry forum at the same time.  :)

If a couple hundred members or so everyday looked at just one ad each that interested them, it would be an awesome help.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sprucegum

Good advice Jeff, anytime I can help out by spending someone else's money I'm all for it.  8)

easymoney

i had not noticed the ads. i will have to start looking for them since the forum will get paid fo them. ;D

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on May 28, 2008, 06:48:14 PM
I actually think its much simpler then that. The Democrats just have'nt purchased ads from google. There is no reason why they wouldnt show up here as well. One thing you can do if you dont like a particular ad, you can click on it and cost them some money and make a few cents for the forestry forum at the same time.  :)

If a couple hundred members or so everyday looked at just one ad each that interested them, it would be an awesome help.

I do a lot of searches on the internet for political information.  I'm always amused at pulling up an article on a conservative web site and seeing and Obama ad – or less likely Clinton ad somewhere on the page.  Obama must have bought time and space everywhere!

I'm just waiting for OneWithWood to see the McCain ad!   ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Faron

Mr. Obama isn't going to spend any money reaching these bitter people, clinging to our guns and religion.... ;)   
I think some of the ads are going to prove to be interesting and useful.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

OneWithWood

Seen it?  Heck I about wore out my mouse and clicker finger putting ole John in the poor house  8)  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Bibbyman

Quote from: OneWithWood on May 29, 2008, 02:55:04 PM
Seen it?  Heck I about wore out my mouse and clicker finger putting ole John in the poor house  8)  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D

I bet they put your e-mail address on every Republican political organization's list.   :D :D :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thedeeredude

So when you click on of them ads it gives the forum money and takes money from the advertiser at the same time for each number of ads clicked on? 

Jeff

Adsense is one of Google's advertising programs. Another one of Google's advertising programs is Adwords which is the source of the ads used for the adsense program. Adwords users pay  to run the ads so that they themselves can generate interest and ultimately revenue by sending people to their websites.

Website owners can sign up with Google adsense and get to place the ads on their websites. When an ad is clicked, Google will pay the Website owner an undisclosed portion of what the Adwords advertiser is paying to run the ad. Google gets the the rest.

OneWithWood

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 29, 2008, 09:24:35 PM
Quote from: OneWithWood on May 29, 2008, 02:55:04 PM

I bet they put your e-mail address on every Republican political organization's list.   :D :D :D

It's been on those lists for years.  Between the Dems and the Pubs I am a very popular guy  :)

I have an equal ignore policy  ;)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

The google ads gave me something to implement on the website that should help out. Its a direct search bar for google. You dont have to leave the forum now to do a google search. Best part is, that anything you search, if you click on the top results that are from google adwords, the forum sees a benefit from. 

For example if you use the new google search to search for say, candles, and choose to visit the results at the top of the page. The Forum gets credit for that. So, we can earcn revenue not just by what they return here, but by simply looking for what you need on any subject. :)

So, please look for and use the google search at the top of every page when ever you need to look for anything on google!

thecfarm

Glad you mentioned that.I don't do alot on this thing.Really just this forum.Too slow with the dail up I have.But will do my searches on here.Glad to hear the ads are working for you and us.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!