iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SPOT

Started by Magicman, December 14, 2009, 08:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I have no cell service at my tree farm.  That is where I hunt, bushhog pasture, and you guessed it, run a chainsaw alone at times.  Last year I bought a SPOT, which is always with me now.  At least now, they will know where find me if I'm alive enough to push a button.  A one year service subscription cost $109.

The first generation SPOT is available from Cabela's for $150 with a $150 rebate. (with a 2 year service subscription)

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don_Papenburg

Have you tried it out yet ? did anyone find you?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Magicman

It works.  You get unlimited "OK" and local "Help" usage.  I've not pushed the "911" button, and won't unless it is truly an emergency.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

asy

That looks really interesting. I have a friend who'll be visiting Australia from the UK next year, he'll be buying an old car and going bush.  Not the greatest idea, but...

I will send him the url and suggest he gets one of these, THANKS!

By the way, It looks like there's a $50 rebate noted on the front page, would you happen to know where the $150 rebate info is? I'd like to pass that on to my friend, too.

Thanks again,

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Magicman

Quote from: asy on December 15, 2009, 02:28:52 AM
By the way, It looks like there's a $50 rebate noted on the front page, would you happen to know where the $150 rebate info is? I'd like to pass that on to my friend, too.
Thanks again,  asy.

Cabela's

Tony

This looks like just the thing for an 82yr old  smiley_old_guy    that won't use a cell phone,  bushhoging on the other part of the farm  :o :o

Tony  8)
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

jander3

I am getting this service this winter.  My cell phone doesn't work when I head up north.  I am hoping this service provides some peace of mind for my wife when I am working alone.

Jon

asy

It really looks like it has SO Many uses. Even if you have kids who go horseriding off on their own or such.

Once we get down to the farm I'm going to see if they have this service in Australia, I think.

I wonder if they have a discount service for two or something. Could have them as communal and whomever needs it takes one...

asy.
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Wudman

My company just bought units for their field employees.  I tested one for a while before we decided to buy them and it worked quite well.  I think it is an excellent safety device for folks that work alone (and it might finds its way onto the boat every now and then). 

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Magicman

Quote from: asy on December 15, 2009, 05:28:40 PM
I'm going to see if they have this service in Australia.  I wonder if they have a discount service for two or something. Could have them as communal and whomever needs it takes one...  asy.

Yes, you should have service  in Australia.  It used satellites and GPS.  Not cellular.  For best results, you need a clear sky.  I'm going to get a second unit.  I think that the subscription is for the "service" not for the number of units.

Piston

If you want tons of information and opinions on the SPOT check out this thread in a motorcycling forum.  There is more than 100 pages on the SPOT so you won't want to go through all of it, but it would answer any questions you have and them some! 

There also some pictures that people posted from google maps tracking they're rides and trips....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282391
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Night Raider

They're a great unit for position reporting not so good when you're trying to get a message across.  We carry them in all our planes in case of weather or mechanical problems.  I know a guy who accidently pushed the 911 button instead of turning it off and a couple minutes later the phone was ringing inside his house and it was SAR, luckily he was there to answer it.

Thank You Sponsors!