iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winches

Started by cando, January 28, 2010, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cando

I have about 100 acres in Washington 35 in Lewis county and 64 acres in Pacific county.
Pac County was hit by the hurricane force winds in 2007 and I'm just now getting in to it to get out the blow down.  We have few roads to get through property.
I'm wonder if anyone out there has ever used the portable Capstan winch.
I like the portability of it.
Found it in www.foresrty-suppliers.com.
I'm in the process of thinning out the Douglas fir we grow and removing Alder and broad leaf maples.
My step dad has retired from DNR in Wash. And now we grow trees for lumber our selves.
He has given use all a lot of info on how to make our trees grow better and straighter.
Working to clear property and sell the Bio Mass as firewood.
I'm looking at fire wood processors at the moment.
any thoughts from members on winchs would be great.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, member Quebecnewf uses one and has some pics and video. Look at his gallery for those pics as well as his posts.
Kevin is another, I believe.

There are others too.

You will find a lot of information and as well, hope you tell us more about your project (s).  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TimRB

I just got one and love it to death.  But from the thread title I thought we were going to be talking about our wives.   

Tim

Shetland Sheepdog

I bought a Norse 3081 3 point PTO winch about 30 years ago. Took out a bank loan to purchase it. Lady at the bank listed collateral as a wench! Had to stay married 'til it was paid off! That wasn't a problem! That was my first wife, and we will have been married 50 years this May! Still got the wInch too!
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

Kevin

I have the portable winch, you can buy one from a sponsor here.

http://carlneutzel.com/winch.html

Ironwood

More I think about winches the more a capstan seems to be a great option. With the new "stronger than steel cable" lightweight winch lines out there for skidders, the more I like the idea. I saw one auction recently that I should have persued. HEAVY and PTO driven. I think my Urban Logging Vehicals will be getting some soon. Simple and strong. Unlimited flexibility. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ed_K

I made a small capstan to mount on side pto on an old massy harris.It worked real good pulling brush out of a brook and up a hill. Used 150' hank of tree climbing rope.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!