iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Dodging weather on a wire boat in the gulf of Maine in Feb is losing the appeal 🤦�♂️
IMG_4233.jpg
received_927526532706899.jpeg
received_3701057513471802.jpeg

It was nice coming back.

20240225_152543.jpg

Crew member decided to not do his job, 4100 bucks. That spectra / amsteel is great till it's washed around for 12hrs in 10' weather. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

I didn't know you were aiming at him.  ffcheesy

Eric, since when was that work appealing? Mighty unpleasant duty if you ask me.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

Now Old Greenhorn do I need to metion that brown paint?   :wacky:
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Southside

Ray you shipping out some of your rocks via Barge now?  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hogdaddy

Sol I down size3d pics and even put them in the gallery... still can't get how to post from gallery. ???

If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

newoodguy78

@Hogdaddy Haven't posted any since the changeover so can't offer firsthand advice. Will say over on the general board there's a couple threads going that are pretty active on the topic with a bunch of very helpful folks...

beenthere

Hogdaddy

Go to your pic in the gallery, click it and scroll down under the pic and click (highlight) the BBcode line.
Then right click your mouse to copy that line, and paste it in your post. Results are :

Good  pic.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Just some Snapchat memories that popped up. 

I went and filled in for my buddy in their new Ponsse Buffalo today. It's a Cadillac!

thecfarm

Hogdaddy

@beenthere   Thank you very much!!  :thumbsup: I should have been able to figure that out....... old and impatient i guess
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

leeroyjd

Don't get to cut much Spruce here. Probably in the minority but I enjoy limbing softwoods.

Firewoodjoe

Leeroyjd don't your have a harvester? 

A lot of pulp/bolts but there's a lot of good ones too. Almost too big for the saw head. Some are. Hard maple and basswood. The 

leeroyjd

@Firewoodjoe , no, I sold the harvester a few years ago. Would've been great with this spruce for sure.

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: leeroyjd on March 02, 2024, 08:20:34 PMDon't get to cut much Spruce here. Probably in the minority but I enjoy limbing softwoods.
I don't mind cutting spruce.  And I don't do much of that either because there is little demand for it.  But although I always want hemlock, big hemlock jobs are not much fun.  Limbing  hemlock,especially in summer always leaves me a scratched up mess.    But always glad to get good hemlock logs.   They sell themselves around here.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Resonator

Finishing up winter logging a part of my land I hadn't accessed in the past to cut saw logs on. This area didn't have a driveway to get in, so I brought one with me. :wink_2:

Not typical February weather made work good for logging. With little or no snow and bare ground, it froze firm in muddy areas I would normally get stuck with the tractor. Got a couple decent black ash for my mill and firewood.

Cut some of the nicest black cherry I've found on my land, Difficult here to find them of any decent size, straight, and solid all the way through.

Though as I mentioned in another thread, sometimes my aim is a little off. I got it down eventually. ffcheesy

Cut a few nice white pine too, this one I got a good 12' straight log before I got to the first zig-zag. I had opened a slot to drop it in, but had to go against a slight lean 90 degrees to the right from where I wanted it to go. So I used wedges and cable on it to pull it where I wanted it to fall. It just barely brushed the "save" trees on the right, and did a quarter turn in mid air, but it landed right where I wanted it. ffsmiley

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

cutterboy

Resonator, It always feel good when the tree falls where you want it to, especially when you have to convince it to do so. Good job! Thanks for the pictures, I enjoyed them.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Resonator

Thanks! I use whatever I've got to get them to fall where I want, I carry a couple hammers and a bucket of wedges with me, and a hand winch or a cable run to the tractor drawbar if needed. That one pine I had cable tension on it, cut as far as I dared, pounded my wedges, and it still stood there. I just was reaching down to grab my saw and "tickle" the cut a little, when a little puff of wind in the right direction it fell, kind of like in slow motion. Some days you get lucky.  ffsmiley
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Better to be lucky than good, I've heard it said😁

Old Greenhorn

I took down this Hickory yesterday as part of the mushroom log harvest. Bigger that I normally want or take, but the landowner marked this one. 20" on the stump and none of the butt rot was evident before cutting.. I pulled 'some' 'fiber' out of the stump. 

IMG_20240304_140141153_HDR.jpg

It dropped right where it should, but there sure wasn't much stump there. The log will got to smoker wood for a restaurant and pretty much everything about the fork is going into mushroom logs and the smaller stuff for broom handles. It took a lot longer to clean up the brush than it did to drop, buck, and stack it.

Old Greenhorn

I dropped a few more trees today. This one here was a shame to cut, but the top boke out years ago and it was misshapen, still, at 12" on the stump I would have taken it for a sawlog on my own mill. WO is so hard for me to get.

IMG_20240306_131708420.jpg

Really nothing special but it had a dog leg top with all the weight toward the south, and a 15° back lean to the east and I wanted to drop it due west. SO I had to use that trick of running the wedge straight through the face cut. Fortunately, this tree was solid, no rot. 
 SO I did my face cut then bored through the center and out the back, then bored in another slot just above it for wedge clearance and widened everything a little . I drove a wedge tight from the back, then cut the strap on one side, then the other, and whacked away on the wedge. Took several hits to get the tree vertical and a couple more to push it over. The fall line was critical for this one. I did not want to clobber the little EWP sapling row in the first photo. The tree dropped 2' to the left of where it settled down and rolled in and up to the saplings with no damage. The butt cut looks like this:

IMG_20240306_131701737.jpg
 That is the felling notch facing the camera in the above photo. Here's the stump with the wedge just where it sat at the last hit.

IMG_20240306_131649022.jpg

A simple tree, but it was very satisfying to have it go right to plan without having to diddle around or do any touch up work on any of the cuts. I think I could almost do this for a living, oh wiat..... ffcheesy

After that tree was all cleaned up and stacked I was out of fuel in my tank (the saw was fine, but I was empty). So I handed out and ran into the LO and the conversation went all over the map and wound up with about 8 more easy trees marked. So will stay standing until I have an order for that smaller size, but tree are trees.  :wink_2:
 I'll get most of those after my client is done picking up this morning.

doc henderson

Tom, I hate to say it, but there appears to be a Purple Haze (or is it brown) color to the logs.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy

(507) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze (Official Audio) - YouTube

O0 smiley_trap_drummer
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

So you didn't save that bottom log to saw?  Was it small enough for mushroom use or is it wood stove bound?

Thank You Sponsors!