iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6-Month review of LT15(S) and moving to LT40?

Started by WDFL, January 13, 2023, 10:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durf700

I started out with an LT 15 used mill.  I built a trailer for it before I ever milled a board with it.  I also built a log turner and log clamp that were winch powered that helped tremendously.  I started milling mid March of 2020 with the mill during covid for my pole barn build.  I milled all my barn lumber including rafters and 6x6's the first month I had the manual mill.  I spent the next 2 months milling for people that wanted lumber since we were shut down at work from Covid.  that short period of time I saved about 20k in lumber for my barn build and sold about 15k worth of lumber to customers off my logs from my property where we cleared for a home.  I saw a great deal in June on FB on an 8 month old LT 35 HDG and pulled the trigger on it.  I was able to get 100 % of my money back on the used LT 15 I started with in about 8 hours on FB classifieds.  so I was able to purchase the 8 month old LT 35 with my profits and selling the LT 15 literally the next day.  I then milled the rest of the year on my 1 day off per week and was able to make about 15k or so in 2020.  I think I did about the same in 2021 milling part time on my day off.  long story short, if you are unsure of spending the extra money on an LT 40 or bigger, the LT 35 has been a very good mill for me.  it all just depends on how many hours per week or month your planning on using it. 

I would never mill again without hydraulics!!  for sure.. lol

i'm sure you will be happy with all of them, just figure out how often you will run it for resale work and work the numbers.   bigger is usually better..  everyone else has given great advice so far on here as well.  all very honest reviews.

WDFL

Thanks to all for the comments and feedback.
We're all lucky to have such great equipment.
Will keep you appraised on what I decide to do and when; I'd wait a year or two, but with the price increases they're largely making a significant upgrade even more unaffordable.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

WDFL

Lots has happened since last post in this thread, mainly:
- A good time up at Jake's - education and meeting quite a few of you fine folks
- I purchased 30 acres of longleaf pine natural growth - havested back in 2004.   A few acres of oaks as well.

Now, I am learning to play forester and part of my experience will be to maximize the tree growth, thin some of the smaller trees, and mill some of them for barn lumber.

After talking with Mr. Collins today at th AgExpo, I placed an order for an LT-40 Wide, 38HP Gas, debarker, extra hydraulic side supports, and SimpleSet.  We talked through the options and I *think* it makes the most sense for me at this point.

I almost went LT50, but just couldn't get over the $10k difference hump

Now the 48-week wait starts!
LT15(S) w/GO Option

John S

I have the mill that you ordered, if you will be mobile, I suggest the Fine Adjust Outriggers.  Also, I highly recommend Accuset 2.  My previous mill had Simple Set, no comparison to Accuset.  Good luck!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

Since we are spending his $$, I would also recommend a Super, Wide, and with a Diesel engine.  Of course it would also have an operator's seat.

I am 100% portable and those 6 options would not be luxuries, they would be necessities.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

I think we got him back to the LT50 wide, diesel, with Accuset 2. May i suggest front remote, carriage cover, and spare tire too.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Just my $0.02, and your dollars  :D, just pull the band-aid off and get the Super 70.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDFL

Quote from: John S on October 21, 2023, 09:17:28 AM
I have the mill that you ordered, if you will be mobile, I suggest the Fine Adjust Outriggers.  Also, I highly recommend Accuset 2.  My previous mill had Simple Set, no comparison to Accuset.  Good luck!
We specifically discussed both of these options while ordering.    The thoughts were
1- FAO - Not worth it on sand, as mill kind of settles in.  on concrete yes.  Since I work in sand it was a no.
2. Accuset 2 - I Am still torn on this one.   It was suggested that SimpleSet will be easiest since the mill will be an occasional use item.   I understand there are 16 patterns available with AS, and I'm a computer guy a comfortable with the programming, but is it worth the $2200?   
I'm all ears to a logical argument why I should buy the FAO and AS.
LT15(S) w/GO Option

SawyerTed

If I were to pick one or the other, Accuset 2 would be my choice.  

I like the FAOs, if one sinks a little a few rounds on the nut firms things back up.  Sinking is a bit of a hassle with the regular outriggers.  A ix6 under the feet is an easy fix.  The problem is being between the manual outrigger holes.  Honestly, the manual outriggers were faster for me to setup.   

BUT Accuset 2 makes sawing faster, very little figuring in your head is necessary.  It  eliminates many errors.   Learning how to use it isn't necessarily intuitive but it's not difficult.  Leave your cheat sheets in the truck. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

In all seriousness I would agree with Ted.  Simpleset is a good setworks, but Accuset II will serve you better.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

FAOs are always below the blade.
Cutting long, 14-20' , have to keep mill rail straight, ends drooping causes same for beams/cants, FAO makes adjusting easy.

Accuset2, just my opinion but in this day a sawmill with setworks ought to know where the bed is.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Old Greenhorn

Sand comes in different consistencies around the country. Sand on Long Island (NY) can be like a soupy quagmire, but sand in TX or GA can be hard as a rock. Cut some foot square pieces of 3/4 plywood and throw that under each foot. It works miracles. FAO's for mobile are pretty much a no-brainer.
 Same with the accuset II, once you learn it it helps you zip through the work and the pre-programs allow you to tailor it for your common work with no fiddling. A huge timesaver. Like Ted said, you can leave your cheat sheets in the truck. I call that a no-brainer too. Save a few bucks now and you will be paying for it in all the years to come.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

I am 100% portable and see many different soils, including sand.  With soft conditions such as sand, a 2X10 X2' must must be used and I always carry 6.  I removed the standard outriggers and added the FAO's because of this.  terrific mentioned in Reply#35 above, the outriggers are always below the bed rails, so no digging in to get a standard outrigger below the bed rails.

In my mind, there is no question about either option....get both.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Simplest is an open reference, you can set it to the top of the log, the top of the cant, etc.  That's handy but...

Accuset can do the same, it's called Auto Down mode.  However, Accuset also has pattern mode, which is so much more than just sawing "patterns."  It is in a system that is always referenced to the bed of the mill, and always knows where the saw head is in relation to that.  

So firstly, you will never have another miscut "dog board" or lowest board on the mill.  For example, I have pattern #1 set to 1-1/8" and so if I want to cut all the boards to that thickness, I don't have to calculate the height of the head on a 25" tall cant, I simply hit the button for Pattern 1 and the mill goes to the correct height, including the saw kerf and I know that when I get to the dogboard, it will be right on the money.  

Anyway, that's just 1 of a dozen examples of how good it is.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

SawyerTed

The Accuset 2 feature I like best in Pattern Mode is setting the blade close to my top cut, hit down and the setworks calculates the correct height and adjusts the blade automatically to the nearest increment to give even boards to the bed. No bumping up and down while looking at a cheat sheet.  

If done correctly Accuset 2 keeps your place when flipping the cant 180°

Another benefit is programming your cant size as the bottom board.   If your target can't is 8" and you are sawing 4/4 boards as side lumber, it will auto down with 4/4 cuts and calculate the correct height to get 4/4 boards down to 8".  No calculations in your head, no cheat sheet.  

As YH mentioned, there are dozens of ways to program it.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

John S

Accuset is Simple Set on steroids.  The pattern mode is amazing but I use Reference and Auto Up constantly. Auto Down is essentially Simple Set.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

customsawyer

I don't know what the mills cost new now days but I will just throw out a number. If you are spending close to 50K on a piece of equipment and 4 or 5K more makes it a lot easier to run, then spend the extra. There is enough work involved in this business. Don't need to be making it more difficult by cutting corners on your equipment. I really enjoy spending other peoples money. I might have to run for office. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

GAB

Quote from: customsawyer on October 23, 2023, 11:21:39 AMI really enjoy spending other peoples money. I might have to run for office. :D
Only if you want to increase your blood pressure.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

KenMac

Quote from: GAB on October 23, 2023, 12:31:31 PM
Quote from: customsawyer on October 23, 2023, 11:21:39 AMI really enjoy spending other peoples money. I might have to run for office. :D
Only if you want to increase your blood pressure.
GAB
And probably lose most of your friends!!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Southside

A lot of times I will toggle between auto down and pattern mode, and let the saw remember where each face is.  So I will use auto down say for 1" jacket grade lumber, working multiple faces and a reference for A and B so the saw always knows where to land after a flip.  Then when the grade drops I will toggle into pattern mode, cut off the dog board, and finish off with whatever lower grade is going to become in a hurry.  So in pine it will likely be clear flooring jacket lumber in auto down 1" then 2x stuff out of the knotty core.   
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDFL

Quote from: customsawyer on October 23, 2023, 11:21:39 AM
I don't know what the mills cost new now days but I will just throw out a number. If you are spending close to 50K on a piece of equipment and 4 or 5K more makes it a lot easier to run, then spend the extra. There is enough work involved in this business. Don't need to be making it more difficult by cutting corners on your equipment. I really enjoy spending other peoples money. I might have to run for office. :D
You and other make a good point.  I'm adding Accuset to my order.  Even if I don't use it I'll have it.  And it's hardly no cost in the big scheme.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option

Old Greenhorn

I'll bet a nickel that 6 weeks after you have that mill and have settled in you will realize why you got the accuset and never look back. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

The bigger engine on the 40wide gets you the bigger axle and frame of the 50, so you might as well get the 50 with the chain turner, wide, diesel, accuset, remote control, 
I agree with the accused for sure now,  after running the simple set, especially as I am producing more grade lumber for me to sell. 
I also agree with the walk along with remote controls especially  when you are sawing by yourself all the time. It allows you to control the head while you are sticking or pulling a board or other small chores, versus running to catch the head before it hits the end of the mill. 
I still say FAOR are only really needed on the front and back . The middle 4 are great as drop downs, but that is because I set up and take down my mill at least 100 XS a year if not more. The drop downs use less steps to raise and lower versus the FAOR. Having the ends as FAOR allows you to keep the weight on the ends of the mill where  it belongs. My mill came with FAOR on the front and back and then I added them after, in the middle 4, regret that now as I compare all the steps I need to take to set up and take down. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WDFL

Quote from: Stephen1 on October 27, 2023, 09:35:35 AM
The bigger engine on the 40wide gets you the bigger axle and frame of the 50, so you might as well get the 50 with the chain turner, wide, diesel, accuset, remote control,

That's the whole over-thinking process I've had going on since I first started this thread.  Started with LT40, then to LT-50, then down to LT-35, and finally settled on LT-40W.
I was darn close to going with an LT50 as it's about $6500 more, configured like-for-like with the same engine.  
But realistically for my use-case a LT-35 would be fine.  I should have listened to my wife when she told me to order an LT-40 in July 2022 when picking up my LT-15 @ Newnan.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option

WDFL

Unfortunately I'm going to have to call Newnan and cancel my LT40 build.  I had been meaning to change the order a bit (add Accuset, FAO) and then had a couple setbacks and realistically it would just be sitting around for a while so I'll let it go to someone else who is waiting on their mill.

I have been watching the book of faces and it seems like there are actually hydraulic mills available from WM Texas, and I've seen a couple pop up at Newnan too.  Plus there is suddenly a plethora of lightly used mills for sale right now, some at pretty attractive prices.    Maybe the market will be much better in 6-12 months from a purchasing standpoint.  

Anyways sucks to walk away from it especially since I ordered it with Mr. Collins and he really helped me out a number of times with configuration and planning, and he retired last year.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option

Thank You Sponsors!