iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New tool to help move logs and my ez boardwalk jr

Started by Downstream, February 07, 2016, 08:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

Finished milling the last of my current logs yesterday so had to move my mill to its permanent home in front of workshop. Thought i would take photo of my new log moving tool which worked just as good on the mill. I picked up a 5000# pallet jack for $259 since i have no tractor nor budget for one soon.  I was rolling logs around with cant hook and a brick to turn them.  now just roll them up on jack and move them anywhere quickly.  saved me 70% on material handling.  Also good view of how sturdy ez jr frame is with welded c-channel.  in transport position mill is pretty balanced so can pick it up and move anywhere as a one man job.  if I can figure out how to attach photo i will later.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

WV Sawmiller

Downstream,

I'm betting you are working on a concrete floor. I can't imaging dragging a pallet jack through the dirt, mud and snow where am set up. Glad it is working for you though. Next step may be an electric pallet jack then you will really be ... in tall cotton.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Downstream

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Downstream

I'm very fortunate that my house has a huge blacktop area in front garage that extends all the way over the detached workshop so plenty of room for boats, sawmills, trailers, etc.  Although i have to admit the UPS guy is starting to have trouble turning around when i add a pile of logs to the mix.

Ox

He'll be alright.  The UPS guys are a resilient bunch.  :D

It's good to have that nice flat, hard work surface isn't it?  We just went through another mud season here.  No milling.  Heck, when I moved the chicken coop I pretty near wrecked the whole lawn.  What I call a lawn is old, reclaimed woods.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Deese

Quote from: Downstream on February 07, 2016, 09:18:09 PM
second attempt posting photo

Ahh...I can remember when my mill looked that nice. 8) Now it's covered with battle scars  hurt_smiley and a little rust. Great Machine  smiley_thumbsup

Just don't roll yours off the end of the track like I've done at least twice  smiley_dunce
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Downstream

Im starting to wear some paint on the stops but no dings yet.  This is only the third completely new thing(car, boat,sawmill) i have ever bought so not used to worrying about first good dings.  there are transport brackets welded into the frame to hold it in position during transport or storage when not sawing.  There is a welded stop on the track on the start end to keep it from rolling off and a bolt on the out end to stop in that direction unless you want to take it off.  What is interesting is that the entire head unit just sits on the rails without being directly attached, other than when in transport mode.  when not sawing I pin it in transport mode so the wind wont blow it off rails.

Most of my wood drying stacks are not on the flat pavement so I have to carry each board/slab one at a time to the stacks.  I have not yet figured out better method there yet that doesn't cost thousands so will keep man handling for now.  My company makes lawn and utility carts so might have to talk to the engineers about developing something for this market.

Thank You Sponsors!