iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

025 problem

Started by island boy, October 26, 2011, 11:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

island boy

An 025 has never given me any problems in the 6 years I have had it. I have regularly maintained it with a new plug every couple of years and a good cleaning once every year. I primarily use the saw to cut my annual four cords of fire wood. This fall after filling it with gas/oil mix it started fine on second pull ran for about two minutes and then died quick. Not the plug, not the gas. What should I be trouble shooting for? Fuel line? magneto/coil? Thanks

islandlogger

island boy

start with the basics, if you have eliminated the plug and are sure the fuel is good, then yes move on to the fuel lines, ingnition units, carb etc... if that fails then the more high tech dudes on here might be able to help you out, my shop skills are limited to "in the field" fixes....9 times out of 10 it's something simple, thus...start with the basics!!

Good luck, hope it fires off for you with out a big $$ tag

-islandlogger

T Welsh

problem sounds like a fuel issue, as said before go to basics first,pull it apart and look for a cracked fuel line, then clean carb. should also get new fuel filter and try again! verify that you have good spark and its strong enough to fire fuel mixture at tempature when its hot, coils dont usually go bad,but when they do its always after they get hot,not cold. good luck and keep us posted.Tim

Cut4fun

Several 025 I have worked on, have problems with cracking fuel lines and creates  air leak. Check your line for seeping and cracks.

zopi

Yeah...had a fuel ine give up recently...also, make sure the tank vent is not clogged..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

island boy

I will be picking up a new intake filter and fuel line today and hope this will solve the problem. Repair person at the store I am buying the parts from agreed it was probably the lines. He also mentioned that the gas additive Ethanol has been a serious problem with the gas lines and gaskets in these saws. Apparently it has accelerated the deterioration of these rubber parts.

Satamax

Island boy, the very first thing i would do after the checks you've done, keep the spark plug in contact with the motor metal, and pull the cord, see if there's any sparks.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Cut4fun

I must have missed that.  :-[ :-[  I thought he had spark.  
I use a $3 tool that plugs onto plug with it still in saw and other end goes on sparkplug wire end. Pull over as you would to start and a light will blink on and off with spark.  

Looks like this one that is $5.99  http://www.harborfreight.com/90-inline-ignition-spark-checker-4445.html

lumberjack48

Spray a little gas in the carb, if it runs than you know its a fuel problem
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

island boy

Final had a chance to get back to the 025. I replaced intake filter and fuel line, but again same problem. It started up fine, run normally for some time then died quickly. I did notice it ran longer before cutting out this morning as the air temp was colder. After it dies it will not start again till the engine cools down, then it starts right back up again, runs a couple of minutes, then dies.

What next????? I'm thinking it maybe the coil?

T Welsh

In my first post,you,ll see I mentioned that when it cuts out you need to verify that you have strong enough spark to fire a mixture in the cylinder. the symptom you are having tends to lead to a failing coil when it gets hot it expands and fails and when it cools it contracts and works again. run the saw and let it stop and then pull the plug and lay connected plug on top of head and pull starter rope and see if there is spark, if it looks weak or no spark this could be a  major factor,let it cool down and check it again to see if any difference. Tim

Satamax

There's also the kiss syndrom.

How's your choke?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

island boy

Choke is working fine. If I am not getting a spark after the engine heats up and dies is there anything simpler to consider other than coil/module? :-\

park ranger

I had a 025 that would die after a few minutes and it turned out to be a bad plug.  I still have the saw (for parts now) so if you really figure out you need a coil let me know. 
Eric

simonmeridew

Hi Island:
see my recent thread "zuma float setting":  similar issue is now 100% cured
simonmeridew
Kubota L4400, Farmi 351

Thank You Sponsors!