iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Frame / Stick Built

Started by OHBucknut, January 07, 2019, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHBucknut

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say that although I am new to the Forum (first post) I have been reading everyones great information for a few months. My current plan is to buy a Frontier OS27 sawmill this spring and to cut my own timber for a barn.  I need my barn to be 2 stories (storage uptop) and I want to use Yellow (Tulip)Poplar. I have a lot on my property.

I am not sure which way to go TF or SB?

Stick built has its advantages for the reason of everything is not as heavy

TF has the awesome look that I really want.

I will primarily be would on it by myself with help available.  I need this building bad as I wont have anything for my mill and a bunch of other toys I already own.  Any help is appreciated.

samandothers

Welcome to the Forum!

I do like the look of Timberframes.  Like you I bought a mill to save money on a barn.  I went the route of pole barn.  My thoughts were it would be quicker and simpler, less learning curve.

Which ever you select best of luck and take us along for the build.  We love projects! ;D

doc henderson

Welcome OHB.  Sounds like you want a timber frame, but maybe stick built is more practical. Might be like marrying the prettiest girl in your high school class, more trouble than she is worth.lol.  If you have experience and equip. to get stick built done, and you need this ASAP, that might be the route.  I know a few have taken timber frame and or log cabin courses, but still seems like there is a learning curve.  For the record I have never built a timber frame.  But if long term satisfaction is important, and you have the time, it might be an adventure.  I know there are books on hybrid timber frame/stick built.  We have a local timber frame co. that will let a person come and work with them to learn. (free labor).  There are many experts on this site as you know that will surely chime in soon.  If you have time and want to, might help us to know where you are from, your experience and equipment, and who is close enough to offer local info.  can add to your post, or add to your profile.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I now see where you are from.  I think a pole barn is a good option as well.  go up fast and not too expensive.  If you have the space, it could be the first temp sawmill shed, and later build your dream barn, and use the covered space for equipment or wood drying.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OHBucknut

If I went the stick built route I would want to cut all my lumber prior to building.  I have read conflicting arguments on using green poplar some say its fine some say let it dry.  I plan on "finishing" the inside with either wood planks or plywood. I will need it insulated.  So the 2x6s would not be exposed (kind of a bummer with SB) so I think green lumber would work just fine.  Not going to see any cracking or gaps.

Any opinions on green poplar?

Don P

A barn, at least in my opinion has much lower expectations in fit and finish than a house, green is fine. Expect some boards to go a little wonky as they dry. Poplar lends itself to stick building better than timber framing, in a large timber it tends to open up a single very healthy check as it dries, again in a barn this might not be a serious issue and it is only visual characteristic of the wood.

Brad_bb

How are carpenter bees where you live?  If you have them, they can attack softwoods and poplar.  If your building is kept closed, you may be ok on the inside.  But you have to be careful what you use for siding or soffit material(ask me how I know!!).  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!