iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pros/Cons of timber framing vs stick built

Started by Rusticcreations, May 13, 2016, 04:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

I am starting a house this summer and am really strongly considering trying my hand at doing a timber frame

I am very meticulous in any work I do and very experienced in the construction field, I grew up working with my stepfather who owned a masonry/roofing company and I also owned my own roofing and siding company for four years.

My question is this would it be realistic for me with no experience in timber framing to build a timber frame house? And beyond that what are the pros and cons of a tf vs stick built?

I was planning on using beams everywhere I could on a stick built but going timber frame would achieve my objective easier I feel.

red

What size house ?  I can't answer your question but so some research on Timber Frame Accents . There is also a mechanical fastener called Timber Lynx from canada .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Rusticcreations

I'm looking to build somewhere around 24x32 possibly slightly larger depending. I have been doing some serious information digging but kinda looking for personal opinions from people who have done tf before.

Also would it be feasible to build a 24x32 tf design on a raised sonotube foundation?

Roger Nair

Rusti, you and your spouse have got to be one the same page before embarking on the project.  Try out building something small like a toolshed in TF or take a course or workshop and then gauge your interest, talents and resources.  a small project might stress a marriage relationship, a giant size home building commitment could break it.  Get help in design, engineering and technical carpentry.  Loaders are a great blessing to those that perform lonely labor in the woods.  Can you hire help if you need to go to plan B.  So search yourself.

TF vs stud issues can be debated endlessly and so search the fora.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

PineHill4488

Rusti,

Look at timberframehq.com, Brice may already have a floorplan ciphered and drawn that you like. Jim Rogers even has a few items to look at.

I, too, am at the beginning of a timberframe lifepath. Planed and squared up 6x6 stock this morning for timberponies, will start felling and cutting 12x12 coop next week.

Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

ChrisGermany

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'll echo what someone else said....tackle a small project first. Even if you plan meticulously and do everything exactly as your plan dictates, something will always come out "wonky" during your first couple of building projects.

Once you work those bugs out building a little chicken house or a garden shed, then you can start tackling big projects with confidence and less chance of wasting material.

But once you get the hand of using reference faces on timbers that are never straight or perfectly sawn and drawboring your joints to make things extra tight, timber framing is a joy. I'm a rank beginner with a paltry bit of experience, but I love it.

Then again, if you come from a stick framing background (like I did), then you can combine the two. Old-timers in the late 1800's around here would often use heavy timber sills, timbers for corner posts and around door and window-frames, and mortise full-cut 2x4 studs into the sill and cap the plates with another 2x4. The floor joists were also out into slots in the sill. It's a neat way to build a strong building fast. Not as long-lasting as a good timber frame, but I've used it and it holds up well.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!