iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain mortisers

Started by addicted, October 17, 2013, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Does any one have any experience or review information for the Swiss 3 in 1 chain Mortimer or the Swiss K161 ?
I'm wondering what the difference is in speed and quality between the two Swiss machines and the makita. In other words, is it worth the extra money.

Rusty

giant splinter

Rusty,
I have used one for a short time, I think it was a different model called KSP16.
The chain is set up to cut cross grain and the depth was limited to around 5", the tool did not seem any more powerful and the clamping method is not as solid as the Makita in my opinion, however the machine cuts fast and does not seem to move around when in use, the clamp is easier to use as it slides along the beam with the cross grain chain not really needing a super grip on the beam to keep the machine on layout. The Swiss machine was not set up with the three position swing movement or the width shift crank like the Makita, I have only seen one other European chain Mortiser and did not get a chance to try it, that also cut cross grain and I thought it was quicker than both the Makita and the Swiss chain mortisers.
I would have to say that the Makita is less than half the price of others I have seen and works fine, the others are faster to set up and cut at a faster rate due to the way they are set up with the clamp and cross grain chain however timber frame mortises are not anything to try and blast through, the layout takes time,the cutting requires solid mounting and precise control so if you are using a fast production machine that has no limit stops you may have to deal with overcut error. The short answer is if you need the advantage of speed and have the extra money go with the European rigs, if your a measure three times and cut once timberframer get the Makita its quick enough and you can buy two of them for less than you can one of the other European ones.
roll with it

logman

I haven't used a Swiss but have used a Mafell.  I didn't like it as much as the Makita.  It tended to throw chips in your face plus you need different bars and chains for different width mortises.  It is a little faster and definitely lighter in weight.  If I ever got a mortiser other than a Makita it would be because of the weight difference.  My wife helps cutting mortises and she complains about the weight of the Makita.  Like Giant Splinter stated you can buy two or maybe three Makitas for the price of one european model.

www.mktimberworks.com
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Thank You Sponsors!