iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grits

Started by petefrom bearswamp, February 16, 2014, 10:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can tell this was after they ate the Grits.
The Yankee is telling the Rebel......"Thank you so much for turning me on to your delicious Southern dish".  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Isn't there a thread about Honesty on here? Maybe some of us should re read that thread.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

It's definitely post grits. You can see the guy in the blue is looking a bit ill, and the other guy is telling him it will be alright, you won't feel like gagging any more after you wait a while.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

One question to the grit haters ;D   Do you like eggs? and maybe some bacon or sausage on the side, and homemade biscuits?  then why not try this, properly cooked grits, with a dash or two of salt and pepper, a little butter on top while they cook,  now grate some sharp cheddar, most grits should cook in under 10 min, so once they are simmering start some over easy to med which ever you like, once the grits are ready spoon out on a plate, a lil more pepper, then the cheese, eggs on top, buttered biscuit for proper sopping at the end, then you have a clean plate, and a full belly, and the day is yours,  ;D  as a side note, Christy never was too crazy about them, but now she is all in, as I said before, grits are a binder, a very critical ingredient for eggs and breakfast stuff,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

isawlogs

Binder for eggs are toast...... ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

I treat my eggs with the utmost respect. I might put cheese on my eggs,but that is it. A piece of toast under my perfectly cooked egg and that is is. No salt no pepper and I am ready for some mighty fine dining. I might have apple sauce,in another bowl,I will allow some sort of meat on my plate with the eggs.

I posted this on another thread.
I have been fighting the grit battle for many years. It's a never ending battle to keep them things out of this Great State of Maine and stop thier infectious at Kittery.  One must never turn your back and let thier guard down,or terrible unimaginable wicked severe things will encroach on the ground that I so cherish and hold dear to my heart. I can not let my Yankee counter parts down in this ever lasting and time consuming battle. Amen
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

we are doing a pretty good job holding them back from here, did you know that there was no translation to French for that stuff!  This time ofthe year, a little maple syrop on the eggs is welcomed, then a little more on the toast.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

drobertson

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  now that's what I'm talking about! a great laugh to start the evening,, thanks
On another side note, as to the op, he lives in florida, I believe,  lots of shrimp down there, I have heard of shrimp and grits for supper, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Mooseherder

Grits are too dependent on some other good tasting foodstuff to make it on their own.  It's always about putting something in them to make them edible.
Is there such a thing as sweet grits like there is sweet corn?   I just ate the grits outta some sweet corn. ;D

isawlogs

I like my gr--s on the cob, very tasty then.  :) :)

Marcel

wildbill

on a lot of winter mornings my breakfast is a bowl of grits.  nothing added.

never thought to add anything to them. 
Raider Bill's favorite son

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
I treat my eggs with the utmost respect.

Then spell it with a capital "E".  :D

thecfarm

POSTON,got me on that one.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2014, 05:46:22 PM
I treat my eggs with the utmost respect. I might put cheese on my eggs,but that is it. A piece of toast under my perfectly cooked egg and that is is. No salt no pepper and I am ready for some mighty fine dining. I might have apple sauce,in another bowl,I will allow some sort of meat on my plate with the eggs.

I posted this on another thread.
I have been fighting the grit battle for many years. It's a never ending battle to keep them things out of this Great State of Maine and stop thier infectious at Kittery.  One must never turn your back and let thier guard down,or terrible unimaginable wicked severe things will encroach on the ground that I so cherish and hold dear to my heart. I can not let my Yankee counter parts down in this ever lasting and time consuming battle. Amen
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Mooseherder on March 16, 2014, 06:07:10 PM
Grits are too dependent on some other good tasting foodstuff to make it on their own.  It's always about putting something in them to make them edible.
Is there such a thing as sweet grits like there is sweet corn?   I just ate the grits outta some sweet corn. ;D
Grits are not inferior for needing additives, they are superior for going so well with so many other foods.  Besides, the only additive they really need is salt and that is true of most foods.

Jhenderson

Up here we eat corn at any meal. They're called jonny cakes. Came from the Indians. White flint corn, dried on the cob for a year, ground fine. Mix  1 cup with1cup boiling water, a little milk, tsp salt,  tbsp sugar, fry like a pancake( 6 minutes a side) in bacon fat. Old timers used to carry them in their pocket for lunch. Butter for me, maple syrup for my wife. A real swamp Yankee can't go 2 days without them. PS. I always thought grits would be better fried.

isawlogs

Quote from: Jhenderson on April 07, 2014, 08:58:56 PM
Up here we eat corn at any meal. They're called jonny cakes.

Where is ''up here''  8)

Marcel

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Jhenderson on April 07, 2014, 08:58:56 PM
Up here we eat corn at any meal. They're called jonny cakes. Came from the Indians. White flint corn, dried on the cob for a year, ground fine. Mix  1 cup with1cup boiling water, a little milk, tsp salt,  tbsp sugar, fry like a pancake( 6 minutes a side) in bacon fat. Old timers used to carry them in their pocket for lunch. Butter for me, maple syrup for my wife. A real swamp Yankee can't go 2 days without them. PS. I always thought grits would be better fried.
Grits are great fried. You just have to let them set up a bit so they hold together when they hit the grease.  I think We call your Johnny cakes, corn pone. 

GAB

Marcel said: "This time ofthe year, a little maple syrop on the eggs is welcomed, then a little more on the toast."
Why just this time of the year?
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

isawlogs

Just because its fresh from the tree, after a long winter, sap run is a sure sign of spring and very much awaited for. :) :)

Marcel

bama20a

G irls- R aised-I n_ T he- S outh. ;D

r
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

thecfarm

There are really 3 ways to spell "grits"
GRITS,Girls Rasied In The South.
grits,some would call it something to eat
grits,showing no respect for them.

Mooseherder

I'm away from home for work and the Hotel I'm in had 2 big pans of grits on the breakfast buffet line this morning.  Everything else was one pan.  Eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits.  My buddy went back for a second helping of grits with Butter.  He said they were good.  I took his word for it.

Thank You Sponsors!