iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Delmhorst 2000 issue

Started by boonesyard, February 27, 2020, 09:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boonesyard

So I had my first issue with the Delmorst last night.

We've been drying a load of 12/4 white oak slabs for about 3 weeks that we had taken out the night before. Yesterday afternoon we took a few moisture tests to see where we were at. We haven't had any problems with the meter or the slide hammer, but when I started testing, the moisture readings were way too high (32-37%). When I disconnected the slide hammer and just used the shallow push pins, the readings were correct at 7-8%. I've had the load out a couple times to monitor the moisture drops (load started at 28%). 

The long pins had just been replaced in the slide hammer, but when reconnected, the readings were still too high. I disconnected and re-connected the pins and the slide hammer connection a couple of times while continuing to try and get readings that should have been in the ballpark. After 1/2 hour or so of trying to get it to work, it started working. I've checked the connections, the wire for cuts or breaks, nothing. Everything seems to be in order and it worked fine after that. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or any words of wisdom?
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

WDH

Does it read 12% when you hit the two buttons simultaneously to check the calibration?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

boonesyard

I did not try that, will do this evening. Thanks
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Let us assume that the reading is bogus, and not that the core of the wood has a higher MC.

Your condition is what typically happens when the cord is exposed to high humidity.  This can happen if the cord is cold and then brought into a humid kiln.  There will be some condensation.  You will get the high reading even when the pins are not stuck into the wood.

Also, this can happen when there is a short in the wires at the point where the wire is stripped and goes to the pin connectors.  It is most common that the shield has one wire that is wandering.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

boonesyard

The load is pulled out of the kiln and the load tested outside of the kiln, in a 60 degree climate controlled shop, so I'm thinking it may be an issue with the pin connector. I'll keep and eye on it, thanks for the response.
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler

Thank You Sponsors!