iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

does anybody know what is the smallest skidder with the most beef

Started by Kiwihusky, May 31, 2010, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwihusky

hey does anbody know of the smallest skidder with a very strong winch that can pull logs uphill and out of tricky situations as i live on a hilly island and am starting my own biz up i need a skidder i can drive up some bodys driveway an manouver on steep usually wet hills but it still needs to be able to  pull big logs as i live in new zealand an we got some big trees

arojay

Clearly a vintage JD 440B is the machine for you. They will outpull anything else ever made and use no fuel at all.  Some other owners have told me that their 440's actually make fuel while they are working!  Another bonus is that they never break down, especially in bad places.  All other makes are just junk and not worth sensible consideration!
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Bobus2003

I have a JD440 and love it.. Its a small machine weighing roughly 16K lbs. Can pull a pretty fair bundle of trees behind it.. I run mine with Fluid filled tires, and chains on all 4 (Winter months)

Kiwihusky

Quote from: arojay on May 31, 2010, 11:33:06 PM
Clearly a vintage JD 440B is the machine for you. They will outpull anything else ever made and use no fuel at all.  Some other owners have told me that their 440's actually make fuel while they are working!  Another bonus is that they never break down, especially in bad places.  All other makes are just junk and not worth sensible consideration!

I dont suppose you know any more specs like type of engine how much hp what type of winch an what its rated too . would be much appreciated cheers

Bobus2003

Quote from: Kiwihusky on June 01, 2010, 01:44:30 AM

I dont suppose you know any more specs like type of engine how much hp what type of winch an what its rated too . would be much appreciated cheers
Engines:
JD440 - 3.3l 202ci Diesel producing 59 HP @ 2500 RPM
JD440 - 2.9l 180ci Gasoline producing 59 HP @ 2500 RPM
JD440A & JD440B - 3.5l 219ci Diesel producing 70 HP @ 2500 RPM

Winch:
Model No. 3305 (John Deere I believe)
Cable Pull (Bare Drum):
JD440 - 14,500 lbs
JD440A & JD440B - 17,300 lbs

treefarmer87

i like any 440 deere they are a good looking skidder. the parts are kinda expensive around here, maybe not in other places. if you cant find a deere get a TJ 230 or a C4 or C5 treefarmer, i can get my parts for it at the local napa or advance auto. the transmission in mine is a ford 4 speed with hi/lo.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Bruce_A

ATV and an arch will pull pretty big stick in pretty tight quarters.

Kiwihusky

cheers for the specs but i think they dont have enough grunt the company i used to work for had a timberjack 220a which i used quite a bit and found quite dangerous with the drive shaft brake an almost went straight off a cliff when it failed thank dang the front blade didnt fail anyways i think the winch on that was 20000 pounds and that many times i would have to get out an cut the log in half then the other half would slide back down hill in an even more tricky spot to get out which causes alot of strain on the voice box so basically its gotta have more beef than one of those pieces

Bruce_A

With that kind of steepness, might want to think small portable Yarder.

Bobus2003

From what i gather, I think your gonna need a pretty fair sized skidder.. Or you can always use a Block on the mainline and double up the pulling Power :P  The JD440's don't use a driveline brake, its actually a brake in the transmission.. But i always set the blad into the dirt as a backup

arojay

In a manner of speaking it is a driveline brake, as it is a disc brake on the output shaft inside the transfer case that's bolted up to the rear of the transmission.  It is a pretty skookum set up though.  The winch is pto driven with a hydraulic clutch and winch brake that is pressure released, that is to say if the winch is not being driven the brake is on or when applied of course.  Older machines had an 'on-board' hydraulic pump, also pto driven  There are newer and more powerful machines out there, hydrostatics as well.  It's all about the money.  Most folks who actually own and operate a 440 seem to like them.  What species and size of logs are you going to be skidding? 

Kiwihusky

mostly pine an mac usually bout 1 m with the odd massive beasts that need to be attacked with the 3120 but we usually slab those ones an then try an move them

arojay

Fellows that I work with from time to time in SE Alaska are working with similar size timber.  One guy works by himself and is line skidding.  He uses a few different skidders depending on which is operable on a given day but they are all comparable to a JD 540 or Cat 518 and typically pulls one or two logs per turn.  Other operation is larger and higher production. They skid where slopes allow and yard where it is too steep.  They are using grapple skidders now as they use them to skid logs from the hot deck and sort, when yarding.  540 Timberjacks I think.  I handle smaller timber and the 440 is rightsized but hey have certainly been used for skidding bigger logs.

Kiwihusky

do you know much bout clarks theres a couple of 666 a and b  going cheap at the moment

arojay

Usually this kind of post will degenerate into a 'FordvsChevy' debate in no time but no bites so...  notwithstanding my first post, I would say that every machine has an Achilles heel or two but if you find one that appears to be in good shape I think that the make would be the less important of factors.  If they are working hard they all break down.  Clarks are as good or bad as any other.  Think about parts availability, your capacity for mechanical repair or the availability of a mechanic, matching of the size of machine to the work you expect to be doing most often and personal suitability.Even if you are a mechanic or so inclined I would have a mechanic that you trust evaluate the machine with you.  Put it to work if at all possible to see how it performs.  Lots of skidders are bought sight unseen and work out fine, but if it is used and a private sale I wouldn't do it without knowing history(work orders from a dealer etc.)

Personal suitability... for instance,  I know a guy who bought a skidder and had it hauled without any experience with the brand or model.  He is a tall guy and found that he had to cut out the roof shell and raise it right off the bat so he wouldn't break his neck.     

quietrangr

Quote from: Kiwihusky on May 31, 2010, 07:23:41 PM
hey does anbody know of the smallest skidder with a very strong winch that can pull logs uphill and out of tricky situations as i live on a hilly island and am starting my own biz up i need a skidder i can drive up some bodys driveway an manouver on steep usually wet hills but it still needs to be able to  pull big logs as i live in new zealand an we got some big trees

Yes, I saw Ford v Chevy coming a mile away on this one too, but...my vote for a cable skidder would be the 208 Timberjack. They have ten ton winches, and are about the same as a 225, just a bit smaller.

Thank You Sponsors!