iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

King Industrial kc385fx 15" thickness planer

Started by Bigredfaller, January 20, 2014, 09:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigredfaller

Hi everyone, I just picked up a king thickness planer on Craig's list and it needs new belts... I found the parts diagram on kings web site as well as a parts list but I can't seem to find any way of ordering parts from them... Does anyone know of an aftermarket parts supply for these machines?
Husky 390's 36"-42", 05 duramax, Norwood Lumber mate 2000, Timberjack 225

Bill Gaiche

http://www.kingcanada.com/Files/KC-385FX_manual-eng.pdf

Try this web site for a little info.
This planer is exactly like my Jet 15". I installed the Byrd spiral cutter head and it made a lot of difference. bg

chet

Also appears to be the same as Grizzly's 15" planer.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Bill Gaiche

You can take the old belts to town at an automotive store for example and they can help you get the right ones or equal. bg

Bigredfaller

Right on thanks guys, I'll look into it more when I get out of camp and let you all know how it turned out.

Bigredfaller

So I got the planer home to find that the motor pulley has sheared the keyway out of itself and damaged the shaft on the motor

I've ordered a new pulley, just wondering if I can run the shaft the way it is or can it be repaired?

ancjr

As long as a new key fits and there isn't excessive runout on the shaft, it'll be fine.  :)

Bigredfaller

Thanks guys, I'll try it and see how it goes... Can you get these shafts rekeyed or Di you have to replace the whole motor?

21incher

If you have a problem with the key you may be able to get a taper lock type pulley that will work. The pulley works sort of like a router collet and has 2 pieces that pull together and lock on a shaft without a key. The other item I have had luck with is Loctite makes a shaft locker product that can be applied to the shaft to help keep it from slipping.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bill Gaiche

21 incher has the right idea. The taper lock pulley will work. Get the shaft size and take it to your local business for a match. The Loc tite will also work. I have used the Loc tite 680 and it will hold. You will have to clean shaft and pulley of oil, sand a little, coat both pieces slid on pulley with a new key and wait until it sets up. This stuff fills the voids. To remove you will have to heat it up to make it release. bg

Thank You Sponsors!