iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln drying and storing

Started by DPatton, December 26, 2020, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

That last sentence is the crux of the matter to me.  The science of what happens is one thing, but on a practical level, if that board only gains 4 or 5% going from kiln dried to air dried or back again, and if that straight, flat board moves just a bit in the process such that that (Tom) straight and flat board now is bowed or cupped or warped just a bit, well, the damage is done on the woodworking level.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

Proper storage for dried lumber is just another thing you need when you start down this road. I've got the same problem with not having a good place to store my finished lumber. I see another building in my future. 

Happy birthday, Danny!
HM126

K-Guy

If you don't have good storage, you are left with drying to order. Not as cost effective but still an option.

Happy Birthday Danny!!  smiley_dizzy smiley_blue_bounce

ps Are you as old as Jake now?  ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

WDH

By quite a margin.  He is just a young Whippersnapper. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

firefighter ontheside

Well, happy birthday Danny.  I'll admit that I never noticed the cake before.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Walnut Beast

I hope your having a good day WDH. Birthday boy  🎂 

scsmith42

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 28, 2020, 02:09:26 PM
So it seems that with all the technical information that if your kiln drying wood and storing it in a non climate controlled environment and it sits there for any length of time that you are wasting your time. And if your selling kiln dried wood from that example it really isn't
I don't look at it that way.  Even if it has regained moisture the wood has been kiln dried and sterilized (by most kiln operators). The customer can store it in a humidity controlled area and it will drop back down and still be sterile.
Air dried hardwood - at least in my area - is very likely to have lyctid powder post beetles in it unless it's been sterilized.  So proper kiln drying is a plus IMO, even if the wood has regained moisture.
This is predicated on the wood being stored in a sterile environment.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Just to be clear for those that are new to this kiln drying stuff, wood in the kiln can be sterilized ( which means all insects, larva, eggs, and fungi) when the wood temperature is over 133 F. However, once the wood is removed from the kiln, it is subject to attack by the lyctid powderpost beetle.  Further, if the wood is wetted, fungi can return.  In other words, sterilization only sterilizes the wood for the moment.

Although the lyctid PPB only likes very dry wood, there are other PPB, like the ambrosia beetle, that like wetter wood such as in air drying.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

DPatton

Quote from: K-Guy on December 29, 2020, 08:22:21 AM

If you don't have good storage, you are left with drying to order. Not as cost effective but still an option.

I hear ya knocking K-guy. I already offer drying to order buy utilizing another sawmills kilns, but almost no one is willing to wait 7-14 weeks for drying. So I either need have kiln dried stock or limit my sales to air dried products only. 
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Don P

If you can't do full climate control it usually only takes a few degrees of heating above ambient to drive the rh in a building down enough to keep the wood reasonably dry. Alas, I do not even have that building.

farmfromkansas

When I was young doing carpenter work, would pick up lumber at yard, take it to the job and install the stuff. Sometimes after a month the job would look like some amateur did it, but I took my time to make joints fit.  Just depended on how dry the lumber was. Lumberyard just had a building with no heat to store the boards in, they called their wood kiln dried, my theory was that they walked the wood through the kiln on the way to their truck.  Now I have a shop with a storeroom for lumber, makes a huge difference if you take the lumber from your dryer directly to the shop.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!