iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing and drying in shed

Started by Tinkerer, July 24, 2021, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tinkerer

Anyone stored and dried lumber in a wooden shed? I'm planning on filling about 1/2 of a 10'x14' wooden shed with fresh lumber. It has 2 windows and 2 gable vents. It will keep our yard tidy and I can theoretically use it as a kiln. No power to it (yet) but it's in the works. My only concern at this time besides weight is possible lack of air flow. I can add fans if anyone thinks that will be an issue. I'm in Maryland. Wouldn't take too much additional heat in the summer to get the interior to 130F
Fed my 450 Rancher so well, it grew to a 395XP!

moodnacreek

Air flow is more important to green lumber than heat. If fresh cut pine it will blue stain and worse.

Southside

If you fill that with pine it will stain, mold, and grow nasty fuzz.  If you fill it with oak it will split, twist, warp and do everything else you don't want it to do.  

Too hot and not enough air for green wood.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

I think you'd be better off doing what I'm doing.  Air dry the lumber outdoors until it gets around 20% and then move it into shed with fans and a dehumidifier.  I can dry down to 7% in my 10x16 purpose built shed.  Insulate with polyiso foam instead of fiberglass like I did.  I added to foam to the inside to get the R value I needed.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Tinkerer

Thank you all for the input. I probably wouldn't be able to mimic airflow of the outdoors with four walls and a roof. But I like the suggestion of using it as a finish up to complete the drying process
Fed my 450 Rancher so well, it grew to a 395XP!

firefighter ontheside

Good luck.  Come back and show us what you come up with.  I hope to upgrade to an actual Nyle unit eventually.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Thank You Sponsors!