iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burning dry wood

Started by Wood Shed, December 07, 2018, 10:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Home built splitter oil tank is higher than pump.  Little warmer yesterday 35f I put a magnetic heater on hydraulic tank next to where oil leaves tank to go to pump.  Still needed either to start engine but it started.  With the hydraulic oil heated a bit engine pulled much easier. Reason in my mind for where I put heater is if the oil by the tank outlet was warm enough to get engine started the rest would warm up when I was splitting.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Al_Smith

What are you running for oil,SAE 50WT ?At 35 degrees F if that engine was in tune and the oil was not stiff as mud it should start  right up .I have 8-9 gallons of Dextron in my splitter which has nothing to do with dry firewood . ;)

Magicman

Also nothing to do with burning dry wood, but I burned my DanG hand this morning on the insert door.  DanG!!!  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

Green wood woulda worked just fine for that MM.
;D
Praise The Lord

doctorb

Another Magicman injury!

gspren - your post categorizes my feelings exactly.  I am still heating full time with my OWB, and will use it as long as we still are friendly toward one another.  But I would not purchase another at age 67.  I hope to get another one or two years out of both my body and the OWB.  Further, I hope to scrap the OWB long before I discard the former.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

Come on Doc I'll soon be 71 and I'm still kicking but I'm not feeding an outside burner with a big appetite .

trapper

Still feeding my  classic at 75 and hope to for a few more
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

Quote from: doctorb on December 15, 2018, 12:25:18 PMBut I would not purchase another at age 67.
I didn't quit doing anything at age 67.  Matter of fact, still haven't.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I might want another OWB,but don't know if I could afford to buy another one. I bought mine just before the price of everything went up and 25% or more. That was 2007.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on December 16, 2018, 12:51:14 PM
I might want another OWB,but don't know if I could afford to buy another one. I bought mine just before the price of everything went up and 25% or more. That was 2007.
That was sort of the point in why I wouldn't buy a "new" one now but 9 years ago it made sense. Heating oil was 30% higher and the stove was 30% lower so a 3-5 year payback was easy if you didn't buy the wood which I didn't. Now I can't see a payback much less than 8-10 years.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doctorb

It's an expense/duration to pay-for-itself issue as well as a back issue with me.  I don't know how long I'll be in our current house, which is way too big now that the kids are moved out.  I expect w'll be here for another 3-5 years, because we love it, but that's not enough time to pay back the cost of a new OWB.  I certainly will use my 2300 as long as she lasts.

By the time the heating season is over here (April), my back is ready for a vacation.  Yet I enjoy the prep of the wood throughout the year, and I definitely don't mind heading outside to feed the beast.  So I'm not as creaky or frail as it may have sounded in my earlier post.  I just do less buckin' and splittin' than I used to do.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Al_Smith

To tell the truth I think most of us who are the first part of the baby boomer generation  aren't quite as active as we once were .I know I'm not .

Thank You Sponsors!