iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole . North and South

Started by isawlogs, November 15, 2006, 08:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

I understand, but ski boots are made stiff to provide support and prevent injury.
I'm guessing it'll take a bit to get help to them when they break their ankle?
Going with a softer boot on skis is asking for an injury, no matter how warm and comfortable.

beenthere

Cross country ski shoes pivot at the toe, and are quite different from downhill ski boots (they make your foot rigid to the leg with no movement, from my recollection). Cross country ski boots are often low top shoes, quite comfortable to walk in.

Your barn hinge idea looks good, but I'd fold it under the toe of the ski boot, for less stress on the screws into the ski (if that doesn't elevate the shoe too far off the ski).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

Furby .. they are cross country skis not down hill . and another thing .. going to the North Pole  its flat real flat ...South Pole is climbing , but thats where the snowshoe and ski combo is good , ya take the best for the trek you are about to do .

Beenthere
   Ya posted at same time as I ... once the boot is in the binding it will be almost at the tip of the hinge .. 
The boot that is going in there is a boot made for extreme weather .. so is a little larger then your average boot .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Furby

Sounds a bit different from the cross country boots I rented years ago.
You are right about the downhill boots.

beenthere

Found this site that shows some pics of boots 25 yr ago and discusses some of the transitions since then.
Cross country skiing in the past
The ones I have are like these shown for 1981. There have been innovations since then, that have to do with clamping the shoes onto the ski's in various contraptions. Now, if they could just strap my 5 buckle overshoes onto some ski's, I'd be comfortable.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Never looked at the link yet, but my cross country shoes have an inch or so of rubber that juts out the toe end with holes drilled underneath that go over pegs in the bindings. The binding is hinged and you flip it toward the boot to clamp down on the rubber protrusion of the boot. The shoes are not meant for extreme cold, not much insulation. I have gotten cold toes a few times in -20 F weather. The bindings are designed so if you fall or something and can't get up, you take a ski pole and poke the release and your free.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

I checked out the link, and by golly there were my ski boots! And I thought I was right uptown with them!  Now I see I am way out of touch. Gosh I feel really old now.  ::)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raphael

Seems to me the bindings you want are military surplus WW2 vintage crosscountry ski bindings.  They are designed to strap onto large insulated combat boots.  They were referred to as 'snow bunny bindings' back in the late 60's...  Don't ask me why. ???  Perhaps it was a comment on their utility as compared to the 'modern' designs of the time, or maybe because if you did manage to coax a snow bunny out onto a cross country trail it's what she'd be using, as it was the usual binding on rentals...
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

3ridge

isawlogs,
I quickly read thru this thread and am going to assume this is for real.  My question to you is, what do you sleep in at night? Is there a heat sorce? What do you use for a sleeping bag? If no heat to dry your sleeping bag does the moisture from your body and breathing freeze in it?
I'm interested because I just ordered a winter camping tent that uses a wood stove for heat but I don't suppose there will be many trees along your route for fire wood.

This is what I ordered.

http://www.snowtrekkertents.com/shortwall.html

Good luck.  Dan.

isawlogs

Dan ,
you are right in asuming this is for real . And also when saying there aint many or any trees on this trip ... this is well beyond the tree line , so no trees for fuel .  Second ... I aint going nowhere near the north or south pole on skis or snowshoes . My contribution to these trips is my ability to help out with manual labour ,quick thinking and good looks  ;D smiley_whip I have a big shop and use it to make things for them , like the sleds used for the trip last year , these needed runners welded to them and also needed tops build for the sleds , this fell into my things to do . This year it was to come up with the snow shoe ski binding ... and also sleds and tops .

Sleeping accomadations are rather not to comfortable . You basicly sleep in a plastic bag , that is put in a down filled sleeping bag . This to prevent your sweat from freezing your bag and rendering it useless .
  Winter camping and a trip to the poles are far from the same . you will only ever meet maybe -20 -25 in temperature , where as on the trip to the pole it could be -50 for days and some wind .
Nice tent , at 15 lbs it is a litle on the heavy side , hope you aint going to far or you have a snow mobile to haul your gear in .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Dan , welcome to the forum ...
   What is your plan for winter camping , Where and for how long .  ???

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

Seems to me that somebody is NUTZ. Don't Y'all realize you could FREEZE solid  :o :o :o
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

isawlogs

Harrold .. Dont ya know that snow is a good insulation ... Just look at them bears , they go into it in the fall and come back out in the spring , yawn some, stretch some , then go on an eating spree .  ;D

Marcel

3ridge

~Isawlogs wrote, Dan , welcome to the forum ...
~What is your plan for winter camping , Where and for how long .

Hi Isawlogs,
The tent and stove arrived today and they look great. Combined weight is about 35 lbs.  It's not light but I won't be carrying them.
I plan on using it in the back yard first (57 acres) to get used to the whole thing and introduce my two young boys to it.  Then I'll make some solo snowmobile one or two nighters.
Eventually I'd like to get a specialized toboggan and travel on snow shoe and camp the same rivers we canoe on in the spring here in Northern Maine.  Maybe even some late season hunting trips.
Fuel for the stove is everywhere.  Dead, dry, standing spruce or fir.  Either from porcupines girdiling them or bud worm, or whatevever.  The river is fairly flat and wind packed and a toboggan is easily pulled carrying up to 200 lbs. (so I hear)
I've been canoeing and camping for many years, but this winter camping stuff is new to me.
The last two winters I followed, on line, husband and wife Maine guides, Garret and Alexandra Conover traveling the rivers of Northern Maine. I read their book, Snow Walker's Companion, and knew I had to try it.  I love winter here in Maine and want to pass that on to my boys.
This is gonna be a learning experiance for me but I can't wait. 
Your right, I should not see lower than -25 F, and I can live with that!
Dan.

Murf

IMHO, any set a' skiis dat ain't got a' airy-plane over top a dem is jus' a accident waitin' ta happen!!  fly_smiley

Well mebbe dem ones dat M. Bombardier came up wit is Ok too.  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Thank You Sponsors!