iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cedar swamp

Started by tiny37, February 13, 2013, 12:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiny37

I own a 40 acre cedar swamp. I had a forester age the trees and he said the average age was 121 years. I never see new growth. I am worried that some day I will have a 40 acre swamp. Every time a wind storm goes through I lose alot of trees. How do I get more cedar to grow and re establish? I know that the deer eat the cedar but can they be eating all the young trees.       Thanks

Autocar

Here where Iam at we only have hardwoods but in mature hardwood woodlots theres no new growth because theres know sun light hitting the floor when we clear cut your get regeneration. You may try cutting a few acres here and there on the forthy then protect the new grouth from the deer and see what happens.
Bill

RynSmith

Quote from: tiny37 on February 13, 2013, 12:01:51 PM
I know that the deer eat the cedar but can they be eating all the young trees.

Unfortunately they can, especially if they're bedding there.  I've been in a cedar swamp that had a browse line - there was nothing green below ~ 6 feet.  :-\

Cedar Savage

Quote from: RynSmith on February 13, 2013, 03:40:02 PM
Quote from: tiny37 on February 13, 2013, 12:01:51 PM
I know that the deer eat the cedar but can they be eating all the young trees.

Unfortunately they can, especially if they're bedding there.  I've been in a cedar swamp that had a browse line - there was nothing green below ~ 6 feet.  :-\

Most cedar swamps here in Michigan that I've been in are the same.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Clark

I've seen a few cedar swamps that were regenerating well.  Most of the time they are as you described them, overstory only and no or little sign of regen.  With high deer populations it is difficult to ensure cedar regen in your lifetime!  However, naturally seeded cedar will tend to be avoided by deer, especially when there is lots of it.

Part of the problem is that most people tend to think cedar should regenerate underneath itself.  While it can regenerate in small openings it would be difficult to get two ages established in a cedar stand, some form of even-aged management (strip cuts typically) is best for cedar.  The problem there is that you put the remaining portions of the stand in high jeopardy of windthrow.

Your concern is well founded unfortunately definitive answers are difficult to come by on this issue.  It is unlikely that staying the course will give you results you desire but putting the stand at high risk of windthrow is not something most landowners are willing to do.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

BaldBob

Tiny37,
As has been pointed out, you need to create openings to get Cedar regen ( I assume you are talking about Northern White Cedar), but as Clark points out this greatly increases the risk of windthrow in the remaining stand, and you have already mentioned that windthrow is a problem in this stand. Probably your lowest risk chance of getting the results you desire is:
1. Starting at a point on the perimeter of the stand where the edge of the stand bends from perpendicular (or nearly so) to the direction of the high intensity wind that is causing wind throw to a direction parallel (or nearly so) to that wind direction, clearcut a strip (about 1 tree height wide) parallel to the  direction of the high intensity winds that are causing blow down. Do this for the full width of the stand.
2. Gradually widen the strip whenever you salvage the blow down that occurs on the edge of the strip - hopefully this isn't an annual occurance.
3. Only widen it each time to the edge of major windthrow.
4. Unless the opposite edge of the stand is sheltered by other timber, clearcut the remainder of the stand when all that remains on the  edge is about 2 tree heights wide. If other timber shelters that edge, continue steps 1-3 until you have covered the entire swamp.
This still has a fair risk of not achieving what you desire, but its probably your best shot.

Clark

BaldBob - Your plan sounds like the most reasonable one that I've seen for cedar.  I rather like it.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!