iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandwheel balancing

Started by Grower, July 11, 2008, 08:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grower

Has anyone had their band wheels balanced? I was told to check mine for balance, might pay to do it before they go on, they will be doing approx 800 rpm and are 24" in diameter.
Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Handy Andy

Does your mill vibrate?  If it was me, I'd take a dial indicator and check to see how far out of round your bandwheels are.  You can check out cookssaw.com, as they have quite a bit about out of round bandwheels.  They built their business on building bandwheels that are true.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Grower

Maximum out of roundness I was told by the fella who made them is 10 thousandth of one inch but does that mean to say that they don't need balancing? They haven't been put on yet and am wanting to get on with the job, might be best if I took them to town to test balance them.

Larry

Checking for run out is always the first check...and don't trust anybody...do it yourself.  Than check each component for balance and finally check the assembly for balance.

Just uploaded a few pics for another thread that is unrelated.  You can see in the pic where the 20" band wheel was static balanced at the factory by the drill holes.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Grower

I will head off to town with them and get the fellas there to balance them before they go on. They are pretty nuggety wheels weighing maybe 40lb each they are going onto 1 1/2" shaft. https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/17673/bandwheels_002.jpg

backwoods sawyer

I run steel wheels on a woodmizer LT-70. You have a couple of options when it comes to crowning the wheel other then sending them in. One option is to take them to a machine shop that can handle this size of wheel. It cost me $120 once to have a 8* crown put on them. Since then I just use a felt marker to coat the surface. Then with the wheel turning at an idle use a angle grinder with a medium grit wheel to grind away small amounts at a time remarking the wheel every so often so I can tell where I have been. Do not grind on the center of the wheel at any time. I use a straight edge to tell how much I have taken off. This will take a bit to remove enough metal.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Very likely if you have a friend in a tire store you could balance the wheels on the new style tire balancer.Of course you would drill to take off weight not add to balance.You could probibly get quite close with a static wheel balancer or even the little device to balance rotary mower blades. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!