iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

weight loss contest/support

Started by doc henderson, January 26, 2020, 10:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Hey guys and gals.  I have been thinking about this for a while.  I need to loose some weight.  it is talked about a fair amount on the forum.  Many of us are very active outdoors, and we all like to eat.  At work the staff started a contest.  they all put in 25 bucks and at the end, the team with the highest % weight loss gets a thousand dollars.  Not suggesting we put money in, but could start a thread with ideas of what is working, and not.  both exercise and food moderation.  I was inspired by @Bruno of NH .  despite all my threads and how much I do say, I often bite my tongue.  I got down to 160 after Philmont in 2016.  I am back up to my natural weight of 190. (the weight I get to if I am not trying to loose weight).  lots of stuff out there.  I know a lot about the older ones, Adkins as an example.  There are some doctor monitored ones.  Many of us are at that age with diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol make up a good portion of our Medical appointments and medications.  I am fortunate to not need meds for now, but my Mom and Grandma had high blood pressure, DM, and cholesterol issues.  If it helps anyone to talk with others, or if you have questions, or want the group to help you stay on track, thought we could give this a try.  A dietician at K-state did a study and lost 30 pounds eating Twinkies in moderations.  It gets complicated if you already have medical problems and it is not my desire to practice medicine on line.  My goal is to loose 30 pounds to feel better, stave off disease,  make it easier on my knees.  I will use Atkins type of food goals.  Keto is similar but uses stick to achieve ketosis.  Also some walking and or weight lifting can be helpful.  just like a bank account, your balance (weight) is based on deposits and withdrawals.  sounds like @Bruno of NH  has a jump on all of us.  Type 2 diabetics can sometimes go off meds after weight loss.  I am setting a goal of about 15%.  I used to be able to do Atkins and loos 5 to 10 pounds in 2 weeks.  now it is harder.  good luck.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

I'm all in Doc
I'm doing this with a group of friends that I do the Sports radio program with.
It helps a lot and is fun.
Maybe we could do a box of bands,log rite tool or some thing like that as a prize.
The inches I lost in 2 weeks makes such a difference in how I feel.
I'm doing low carb with a protein shake once or twice a day.
I'm not hungry.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

And eating chicken and fish
Not my 2 favorite things but
I'm getting used to it.
My A1c has gone down also.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

great job!  I used to tell my diabetics not to do Low carb (25 years ago) due to protein being tough on kidney function.  but the overall metabolic problems are helped with low carb and type 2 dm.  less sugar makes sense.  I will go into some medical rational later.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

Doc
I gave up sweet treats and sugar after my PE when they also told me I needed insulin.
It's the other stuff like bread and pasta.
I'm finding you need to drink lots of water.

Bruno of NH

I like veggies but mostly fresh stuff.
In New Hampshire the winters make it tough to get good veggies.
Certain veggies are good and berries.
I'm drinking almond milk and eating unsalted almonds.
The almonds fill you up.

Ljohnsaw

Years ago at work we did a weight loss thing two or three times - in the Spring, IIRC.  It went something like this:

First weigh in was your base weight and put in $10.  Each week weigh again and pay $1 if your weight went up.  I don't think it was per pound, just that you went up.  The goal was a steady drop, not a big drop and little gains.  We did this for about 3 months.  Highest % won the pot.

For me, walking does good as well as eating (much) less.  I just like food too much.  I have to stay away from ice cream and eat frozen bananas instead.

Doc, you didn't say how tall you are for the 160/190 pounds.  I'm 5-11.  In my younger days working on the ranch I was 165-175.  I look scary skinny in the pictures (compared to now!) ;)  When I get down to 195 I feel great.  I'm 206 right now.  Working on my cabin in the summer I get down to the 195.  My "goal" has been 185 but the closest I ever got was 190 and I have to wear a belt so my 33" and 34" jeans don't to fall off.  But, working hard at the cabin, I loose the fluffy fat and gain dense muscles.  My weight doesn't fall far but I loose inches and look better at 195.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

barbender

I'm in! All these years if sitting long hours in a machine, and loving to eat, are catching up with me. I'm 6'5", and just hit 300 pounds. I told myself prior that this was my limit where I have to take action.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

It didn't help me sitting in a truck cab all those years plowing snow.

doc henderson

well I am 5'8" or at least I was.  In high school I did 3 sports a year and was in about 9 clubs and always had a part time job.  in college when tested I was at 3% body fat, I was at 135#, could do 100 push-ups, and then repeat in an hour if challenged,  so that was easy.  it gets harder as we get older.  Anabolic steroids are plentiful at younger ages.  think testosterone.  It makes my wife mad that she can run a marathon, and I have a poochy tummy and still have a lower body fat content then her.  Human growth hormone regulates anabolic steroids.  think of a teenage boy.  eats all they want and more, have all kinds of muscle and energy.  lots of HGH.  after we are grown it is normal to decrease, but we still need some.  this is where a good nights sleep comes in.  HGH releasing substance is release in REM sleep.  the test for this is 2 postage stamps stuck on your privates.  if they are torn in half on the perforation in the morning, you know that you had a release of HGH releasing substance and a burst of HGH and testosterone.  "morning thickness".  We just need a little in our systems as we are older.  this is why weight gain and diabetes can become a cycle.  The hormone that balances HGH is insulin.  It has the opposite effects.  Insulin helps to move sugar into the cells for metabolism, and if there is more than we need, we store it as fat.  It makes us want to sleep and eat.  think siesta.  having a high insulin level is the same as a low HGH/testosterone level.  Type 2 diabetics have insulin resistance, and therefore have to produce many times more insulin to move sugar in the cell.  you want to eat and sleep.  remember that complex carbohydrates (starches) are sugars hooked together.  takes longer to breakdown but the same as sugar.  so you want to be sedentary and eat more, you gain weight, and now you become more insulin resistant, now you snore when you sleep, and never get REM sleep.  since your sleep apnea wakes you up just as you get into deep sleep and stop breathing.  no HGH releasing substance.  all these things add up to metabolic syndromes with cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes, all leading to vascular disease like stroke and heart attack.  there is a family predisposition to insulin resistance.  goes up with age and weight gain.  More kids now with type 2 DM in their teens.  exercise can help, but hard to do if you are overweight, tired, and with other health issues.  DM is a blood sugar over 126 fasting on 2 occasions.  type 1 makes no insulin.  type 2 makes tons of insulin but the cellular receptors are resistant.  so takes more insulin to move sugar in the cell, until the pancreas cannot keep up, and then blood sugar goes up.  this is why you can be pre-diabetic for years with high insulin levels but not have high blood sugars.  if you were a gestational diabetic (girls) you will likely be a type 2 diabetic,

doc henderson

my dad was a truck driver, and I wonder if he could even drive without a cigarette in his hand.

doc henderson

drinking lots of water is good.  keeps you full, and protects the kidney from all the nitrogen liberated from the excess protein and therefore amino acids in the high protein diets.  

WV Sawmiller

@doc henderson ,

Okay Doc I'm gonna bite. Who came up with the idea of putting a couple of postage stamps on your 'nads? Are you sure you haven't been back into the magic mushrooms or such? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

@WV Sawmiller , that is old fashioned cheap medicine.  been around for decades.  only works on the men.  if you know what i mean.  so not nads plural but singular if you know what i mean.  i do not want to be sent to the woodshed!  i do not know who cam up with it, but you can google it if you like.   :) :) :)

doc henderson

@WV Sawmiller  please do not go to the post office and ask them to apply, or try to mail yourself someplace.  you may wind up in the poky!   :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

Will they ship me C.O.D.? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

EOTE

Hey Doc, in my former life I would join you on the weight loss thing but since about 4 years ago when I was originally diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and after much research, I went on the Ketogenic diet and have been on it now for 4 straight years.  Benefits are that I lost all the weight I can stand to lose (roughly 40 pounds) and my diabetes was completely cured.  All my blood tests are better than they were 40 years ago.  Other benefits are all the steaks you can eat and other "fattening" things like butter.  I make my own zero carb ice cream so can still have something sweet.  

Don't get me wrong, the Ketogenic diet is a lifestyle change and not just a diet.  It is hard for a lot of people to stay on it because it limits what you can eat.  My diet consists of 60% fat, 5% or less carbs, and the balance is proteins.  There are days I would kill for a donut or a hand full of M & M's but I've learned to accept the benefits and ignore what is unhealthy for me.

I am rooting for you on losing the weight you want to lose.  

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

doc henderson

@EOTE congratulations, and you are a good example of what can be!

randy d

Doc I would join you but my last doctor appointment she said I should take metformin I said no I don't like taking pills so I started my own diet substituted stevia for sugar no sweet rolls reduce the amount of potatoes I eat and bread and have gone from 185 to 178 want to hit 170 so not to much further to go I  am 5 foot 9 and I am pretty active once summer comes losing weight will not be a problem

doc henderson

@randy d  you are welcome to give us your tricks, to help others.  feel free to follow along and congrats on your success.  I am doing this for myself.  there may be others that can learn form you all that have turned things around.

Old Greenhorn

Well I admire you guys for jumping in to make personal improvements. I too have not been happy with some of the ways I take care of myself. But I don't think weight is one problem I have. I weigh 183, and am 6' 1". My weight only varies these days a pound or two either way. It used to swing to 10 pounds heavier in the winter, then loose it in the spring because I sat on my butt all winter. At any rate, back in 1976 I suffered a spontaneous pnuemothorax and the Doc said I should keep an extra 10 pounds on my frame for the rest of my life to reduce the chance of a re-occurrence.  This has worked so far. I am not sure what I SHOULD weigh right now, all those BMI charts are pretty much way off, because they are based on a 21 year old or something, few are adjusted for age accurately. At any rate, they say I am overweight or even obese, and if you look at me you will laugh. If I don't wear a belt, my britches fall off. I can barely grab a hunk of my belly when I am sitting down. "But the chart says......."
 My wife feeds me good food with a mix of everything. I only have fast food a few times a year. No sweet tooth to speak of (a box of cookies lasts a month or more). But it would be good for my body if I could cut back on the beer and cigarettes. I just don't know how those around me would fare, especially those at work. ;D When I retire, this is one of the first orders of business after I loose all that stress from my life. 
 I wish you guys the best of luck, and I will be cheering for you. Grabbing hold of something and just 'going for it' even though you know the pains and pitfalls takes courage and commitment. I know a little about that, but anybody that had me on their team would gain nothing by my presence.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ESFted

Doc, I'd join you, but in May of '18 the scales showed my 5'8.5" tubby self @220lbs.  75 years old then and was on Metformin for high blood sugar, felt tired and listless with no energy.  I said enough, life is too good to let myself turn into a couch potato blob. Went on Keto, got a macro counter app for my phone, looked at lots of YouTube videos and researched keto recipes, started working out with an elliptical and barbells. Lost 45 pounds in six months and have maintained that weight. No longer on Metformin and my blood panel looks great. 

Key elements for me were to use the macro app, set a calorie per day goal and determine the right levels of fats, proteins and carbohydrates... record what you eat.  Limit carbs to 20 or less per day.  Start your day with bulletproof coffee.  It will keep you from feeling hungry.  Buy MCT oil and add that to your coffee (start with teaspoon amounts, because it can cause gastro distress (disaster pants) until you get used to it.  It will give you an energy boost.  Look into intermittent fasting... it works. You take all your daily food/calories in a six hour period of your choosing.  I choose noon to six, so no food from six pm to noon the next day.  Lots of info on this diet on the web. Look here, and here.to start and beware the folks trying to monetize the Keto craze.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

doc henderson

Well all of you success stories that do not feel the need to be part of the group,  thank you for being a part of the group.  what better way to start then by hearing from guys just like us that it is possible and not too hard to do. 

Jeff

I'm in. I was at 300 yesterday morning. I was 307 last monday at the dr.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

sounds good Jeff.  I think many of us would feel better at a lower weight.  i like that some folks with success have chimed in.  i have no preconceived ideas for this, other than to derive ideas, info, and poss. motivation from our friends.  i used to dream that Marie Osmond would come to my house.  Oh well we are all getting older.  even if someone tries, eats better, and maintains there weight instead of gaining, that is good.  i do not know about the new go low.  i know some can do keto and some cannot.  basically all the low carb. diets work the same way, just a different ways to monitor.  Adkins likes less than 20 grams of carbs per day to induce for a few weeks then 50 grams after that.  many hospitals have dietitians who will speak with you.  there are lots of books on calories and carbs ect.  just keeping track can help.  you may figure out that a lot of calories come from food or drink that you could take or leave.  My friend Renee (now an oncologist)  lost 30 pounds when her daughter Alex was dx. with type one diabetes at age 4.  she started weighing portions, and knowing calories.  I think the stress helped too.  many diets recommend modifying alcohol and caffeine.  i am a big everything in moderation guy.  I think the diets that offer pre-made food are great if you do not like to prepare meals and help with portion control.  but cost a bit. lets see how it goes.  my wife likes crunchy snack stuff and con only do low carb for about 4 days.  i think meat and veggies is a meal and can eat it all day long.  eggs and bacon in the am.  light lunch.  good supper.  the intermittent fasting is fine, if you do not overeat after a fast.  drink lots of water.

Thank You Sponsors!