iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hearing aids?

Started by drobertson, January 01, 2015, 09:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 05, 2024, 12:50:05 PM
@21incher

You'll have to check back in with us to report on the status of your "selective hearing" with your wife having a dedicated microphone.

:D
I have a button that can turn it off instantly  :o . If I ever wonder off and get lost she can actually  find me on Google maps now within a couple feet with the find his hearing aide feature  ;D 1984 has arrived in our home  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

sawguy21

:D If I'm lost I can find myself lol. I have the Oticon Exceed which although a pita at times really do help. They are programmed to enhance the weak range unlike the relatively inexpensive box store brands that amplify the whole spectrum which is not what I need. They are not a perfect solution, they don't separate conversation from background noise and I can't determine the direction of the source. And a kids scream really hurts!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

It was a pretty  cool fitting.  She put the REM tubes in and then had recordings play at each frequency range against  my audiogram. Took a couple passes in each range and the software was able to remap the lost ranges into frequencies that I could hear within 5db across the entire audiogram.  Could watch it on the computer screen and really hear the difference. Then the results went in the aids. The app let's me fine tune things for my environment and then she can update me remotely if I find I need changes made.  Also auto firmware updates through the app.  For $1600 at Costco they are the same Resound aids that cost 6k at an audiologist minus the tinnitus feature which I don't need anyway. Costco  gives a full 3 year warranty and will replace each one once if it it lost or damaged that I really like. Beautiful custom earmolds for $39 bucks each were required  for my loss and the extra powerful receivers.  The technology packed in these tiny (smallest rechargeable in the world ) aids is amazing. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Quote from: 21incher on January 05, 2024, 02:04:48 PMIf I ever wonder off and get lost she can actually  find me on Google maps now within a couple feet
Will that work if I'm not actually lost but I've only lost my mind??   ???

My insurance (Advantage Plan) through AT&T changed from Humana to UHC on January 1st.  My Resounds are approaching 10 years old and are not "replacement parts" supported anymore so it will be interesting to see what is offered when one of them croaks.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I don't have insurance so pretty much limited to Costco aids but luckily they offer premium technology now.  There  was a promise Medicare would cover them by 2024 but it turned out being a big nothing. If you wait another year the AI aides may even be able to translate languages from speech  :o.

TroyC

I use Costco also and just replaced my old Rextons with the new Phillips. Pretty much the Jabra description on setting up and mapping what I can't hear into something I can hear. My old ones were 4 yrs old and the new technology is awesome. The Phillips App isn't great but the aids themselves appear to be very close in performance to the Jabras. The app does have the aid locator and it works pretty good. Upgraded my Android phone and everything from the phone goes to the aids now. Even running the mill with protectors on you get phone messages and I can almost understand phone calls.

If your aids are more than 4 yrs old and you have a Costco nearby, definitely check them out. $1500 at Costco and 8K otherwise.

21incher

The Phillips have a slightly smarter AI implementation then the Jabras.  I went with the Jabras for the low energy  usage with my severe hearing loss. I went 18 hours  yesterday and still had 60% power left even with  being connected  to my tablet with a lot of streaming the entire time.  Tehe battery life is just amazing being half the size of the Rextons.  Another  thing is being sealed units they are water resistant and sweat in the summer shouldn't shut them down like my Rextons would do. The phone calls are extremely clear on them but I need to hold the phone  up and use the microphone in it because I don't use an IPhone that uses the aid microphones.  All the Costco aids are top tiered now but Costco does not enable the higher features  like tinnitus that require a licensed audiologist to enable. Costco only uses fitters and will not sell you aids if you show a need for other features during the initial test.

TroyC

I'll check battery % tonight when I drop them in the charger. The new standard for hearing aid power consumption is very low and the aids stay connected to the phone or tablet all the time. I've worn aids since 2007 and this new one is the best I've ever had. I don't need ear molds yet but use double lip closed domes. My loss is 100% above 4k and converting the upper frequency loss to something useful is awesome. Doesn't fix everything but a remarkable improvement.

I went with the Phillips on the Costco Dr recommendation. He fit me with several and without knowing which I had on I chose the Phillips. I asked about differences in these and the Jabras and he explained about the App being not as good but the aids themselves being excellent. I dont mess with the App much so it is fine with me.

I like the Costco business model. They are non-commission and don't try to push things on you. Several times previously they tuned my old aids instead of selling me new ones. The warranty is great and they replaced a couple of speakers for me free on my old ones. The only downside is you might have to wait for an appointment for your initial test. The new aids can be adjusted over the Internet so it can save you a trip to Costco for minor adjustments to programming.

Edit- aids have been on over 13 hours and are at 48% battery.

firefighter ontheside

Even if your insurance won't cover hearing aids, it will cover a hearing test.  For those who have hearing loss, especially only on one side, please go to an actual Audiologist.  They know much more about what is going on with your hearing than a tech at costco.  My wife is an audiologist with a  masters degree and doctorate degree in hearing.  She occasionally has people who come to her with a sudden loss on one side and some of them have a tumor causing this loss.  These people get referred to a surgeon for further care.  At least ask when you get a hearing test if the person doing the test is an actual audiologist.  One of the new things for her in the last several years is cochlear implants.  Folks come to her for evaluation to see if they are a candidate.  If they are a candidate, she refers them to the surgeons who do the surgery.  Then after a while they come back to her for the rest of their care and to have the implant turned on for the first time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

Actually the fitters at Costco will not sell you aids when there are certain flags in the paperwork or testing I was told. They will instruct you to see a ENT doctor first for a diagnosis and prescription. Their techs are all fully certified and licensed by the state of NY now and seem very knowledgeable. My first fit is almost perfect this time. If you have a sudden change of anything best to see your  primary  care physician and have them direct you to the proper care. For me with a 30 year diagnosed loss and no insurance Costco is a smart choice to keep 4 to 5 grand in my pocket with a 6 month trial period and full replacement 3 year warranty including loss and lifetime cleanings, adjustments,  and wax guards included in the purchase price. The biggest issue is they are booked almost 4 months out for new customer testing due to a shortage of licensed fitters. Since Costco started offering top tier aids the lines have gotten very long.

Same with the new glasses I just had to get after cataract surgery.  My eye doctor / surgeons office wanted $350.00 for the cheapest glasses plus $160.00 additional for the 32 mm bifocals I like after the Medicare allowance. I got the prescription from him and got the exact same glasses plus no glare coating for $152.00 without any insurance and the second pair of prescription sunglasses for $122.00.  The cheapest frames in the doctors office were $250 alone and I got the same frames for $59.00 at Costco.  For routine replacement parts without  insurance Costco can't  be beat I am finding.  Plus I get 4% of the purchase price back at the end of the year. 

best to get diagnosed properly by insurance covered doctors for any health issue  and then shop around for the best pricing on the equipment if not covered by insurance once you have the prescription I find. 

firefighter ontheside

Yes, they have to have a dispenser license.  A license involves a few weeks of training and passing an exam.  A dispenser may not have the knowledge to catch every red flag.  An audiologist will usually have at least 8 years of college under their belt.  I'm not saying you shouldn't go to Costco.  I'm just saying be cautious, and maybe get an exam from an audiologist first.  The same way you got your prescription for eye glasses from the eye doc and then got the glasses from costco.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

I got my first hearing aids, Oticons, through VA, good.  Later when VA guy left went to an audiologist with doctorial in hearing.  Spent two or three as much time as the VA doc did, and VA paid for it.  either VA did a poor job or my hearing had deteriorated in 4 years.  Got new Oticon battery powered, travelling with a charger is a pain, particularly when you already have chargers for all the other "important" electric devices we, "wife", decides we need on a trip.

On aids you "pays yo money and takes yo changes", particularly with a store front that may or may not have a trained audiologist on staff.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

21incher

Actually  the license  in NY requires a long apprenticeship also for Costco fitters. My ENT doctor gave me a prescription for the aids and I shopped around.   You wouldn't  believe what 2 of the first places I checked wanted for lower level devices.  Guess someone has to pay for those big fancy office buildings they were in and the constant mailers I get from them. Everyone has different  requirements and should never accept devices they have doubts about. Its the law that there is a trial period in NY.  With  OTC devices available  now and online AI doing the fitting I feel much safer having a person I can call. There is no guessing with the advancement of the fitting software Costco now uses and with auto firmware updates there is no reason for constant follow ups for the latest features. You also have access directly to GN for support through the app. There are several good sites for research and  a good Ear Nose, and Throat doctor will answer alot of your questions about hearing loss to start with and what direction to head in to live with it. Medicare will not cover visits to audiologists without them being prescribed by a doctor and only covers the initial testing if the answer is hearing aids.

Ed_K

I noticed that wearing my aids that the ringing in my ears goes away. Anyone else noticed that?
Ed K

Texas Ranger

My ringing does not go away but is less noticeable.  I think the better hearing may mask it some.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

petefrom bearswamp

I use Costco for my aids.
Have Phillips now for 2 years and they are OK but not great.
Our insurance pays up to $3,000 per pair every three years, I have one to go.
Probably a big advance will be made in the 3 yr period since I got my current pair.
I have lost a couple over the last 10 years but Costco only replaces 1 within 3 yrs.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

firefighter ontheside

Tinnitus or ringing in the ears is most noticeable when things are most quiet.  For those with hearing loss, things are most quiet when not wearing their aids.  Wearing the aids and hearing more of the ambient sound causes you to notice the ringing less. 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

TroyC

I agree that wearing the aids tends to mask a lot of the ringing. I've dealt with tinnitus for many years and with the aids in I don't notice it nearly as much.

Ed_K

Y'all are right, it just mask the noise. I hear what sounds like a water falls. I thought it was gone but on Saturday the batteries wore out, so I put new ones in. The water falls was there but real low, I was hoping it was gone no such luck.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!