iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Galvanized pipe for Stickers?

Started by Polish Hammer1, March 22, 2021, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polish Hammer1

So whenever I get more ibc totes for my firewood storage I take the 2 top straps off then pull the liner.. I was wondering if I could use that top strap as stickers? Not sure what it would do to the wood any thoughts these are oval like so they wouldn't roll 

nopoint

Use edging. Pipe seems like a bad idea for so many reasons.

YellowHammer

Metal in contact with the acidic nature of green wood can cause all sorts of problems, including severe sticker stain.  There is a reason some sawmills have stainless steel wcaps on their steel sawmill bed rails.  Steel and green wood don't play well together.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

I wouldn't use the galvanized pipe.  Even though its galvanized, I think it will still react with the wood and leave black streaks.  I have a customer that uses Pex pipe as stickers.  Seems to work fine for him, though I don't know how much weight it will take to compress the plastic.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

I guess you could sticker up a small pile and see, if the wood is not valuable or sentimental to you.  I like the pex idea, and wonder if a "plate" of pex could be made with manifolds on each side, and run hot fluid through it to heat the wood.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

aigheadish

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Nebraska

Might be a good way to supplement  heat in a solar  kiln in the off season... interesting  thought Doc.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Two thoughts.  First is that it seems the pipes would roll and not stay in vertical alignment without some struggle.  Further, it seems that a sideways push could cause the entire pile to move and maybe toll into a big mess.  Keep people and equipment away from the ends.

Second, in past experiments with round stickers, the weight is concentrated in a very small area, so the wood cells collapse.  This collapse damage goes deeper than the planer allowance, so at some point I. Finishing or use, the collapsed cells recover and give a raised ridge.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!