iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

0-60 mph speed record.

Started by Ianab, September 13, 2023, 01:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

OK not a road car, more like an electric go-kart, and I suspect the driver was chosen on weight (a quite petite young lady).

But 0-62mph (100kph) in 0.956 seconds is pretty impressive. They don't mention range, but I suspect it's not much more than the 43 feet it took to get up to speed. :D

This student-built EV just set a new world record for 0?62 mph | Ars Technica
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bill

some of us older folks might remember the early muscle cars

eg

a stock 65 Pontiac GTO was supposed to go 0 - 60 in 6 seconds

now I hear things like high end dodge ( now discontinued ? ) could do 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds - used to be funny car territory - and now to teach your kid to drive you have to show him how to do wheelies

and ev 's are quicker  . . .

Ianab

Quote from: Bill on December 19, 2023, 08:36:33 PMstock 65 Pontiac GTO was supposed to go 0 - 60 in 6 seconds

You can now buy a stock Corolla that can do 0-60 in ~5 seconds.
https://www.toyota.com/grcorolla/

And that's with a 3 cly 1600 cc engine.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Old Greenhorn

I went to a technical/vocational high school in the early 70's and we had 3 large autoshops and 3 large machine shops (think 'airplane hanger') plus machine design labs, material testing labs, and other 'stuff'. We could build anything, and several of our instructors had an 'adventurous streak'. There were more than a few hot engines built up and Mondays were always filled with discussion about how it went at the track over the weekend and plans for new improvements. Learning took place. ;D
I had more than a couple of friends that had wheelie bars on there street cars and used them on occasion. Yeah, you can buy anything, given enough money. But it's a lot more fun to make it yourself, especially if you come from a 'paycheck to paycheck' family and are trying to find your way in the world. Good times, I miss that. Girls, Gasoline, and hard work. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

That sounds like a cool shop class! Having all of those resources at the ready is a great way for folks to learn.

Even if they're screwing around, young folks will learn a lot putting the equipment through the paces. I remember our high school electricity shop class. One of our experiments was making a battery out of dissimilar metal plates and orange juice in a styrofoam cup. My experiment partner were pretty happy to make our battery, and have it read a few volts.

I heard muffled laughter from the next station over. A couple of my buddies that were paired up, had come to the conclusion that if it was a battery, it should be able to be charged, too. I don't know how many volts they got it to take, but I do know their orange juice turned black😂😂 Those guys both ended up being first rate technicians, there is hope for curious/stupid teenage boys😁
Too many irons in the fire

Old Greenhorn

Well I will confess that some weird stuff was happening here and there. But those instructors we had would let us stumble along and just before we stepped over the edge into failure, they would lean in and make a 'suggestion' to get us back on the path to something really cool.
We were so busy building engines and working on other stuff it never occurred to us to make bombs, get into trouble with the law (outside of traffic violations, of which there were many), or get into drugs. Funny how that worked out, who knew?
Nowadays shop classes are [apparently] dangerous places and we can't have that in our schools.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Quote from: Ianab on December 19, 2023, 09:32:29 PM
Quote from: Bill on December 19, 2023, 08:36:33 PMstock 65 Pontiac GTO was supposed to go 0 - 60 in 6 seconds

You can now buy a stock Corolla that can do 0-60 in ~5 seconds.
https://www.toyota.com/grcorolla/

And that's with a 3 cly 1600 cc engine.

Yea, but in 30 years you won't see that Corolla sitting next to a Cuda at a car show.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Southside, it's a fair bet a good share of us won't be around in thirty years ta see if yer right.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ianab

After 30 years the Corolla will still probably be a daily driver :D

aigheadish

I think there's a reasonable chance that Corolla GR actually will be sitting next to a 'Cuda or equivalent. It's a pretty slick little ride. Yes, maybe it'll be in the same way that an early Civic sits next to some of those cars. Neat cars are neat cars!

That little kart is fast! Man!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Don P

Quote from: Jeff on December 20, 2023, 07:54:59 AM
I wonder how many gs that is?

2.73 G's on google, I was curious too.

For a cool school shop check out Weber State. I've watched a lot of their hybrid and ev teardowns.
Department of Automotive

bigblockyeti

Quote from: aigheadish on December 20, 2023, 03:22:51 PM
I think there's a reasonable chance that Corolla GR actually will be sitting next to a 'Cuda or equivalent. It's a pretty slick little ride. Yes, maybe it'll be in the same way that an early Civic sits next to some of those cars. Neat cars are neat cars!

That little kart is fast! Man!

Neat cars grab all the attention.  When the new Supra debuted in the spring of 2019 someone had one pretty quick at the local cars & coffee.  It was parked next to a 2019 ZR1, more expensive and more capable in every catagory but folks were ignoring it.

Ianab

Supra has a pretty radical body styling, for Toyota at least.  ;)
It would have attracted some attention when it first came out, simply the "what the heck is that?" factor.

You would have to look close at the GR Corolla to tell it from any other regular Japanese hatchback, but the bigger guards / air vents etc give a clue. It's faster off the mark than my FWD only "Corolla", simply because mine can't put the power to the ground in first gear like a RWD or AWD can, and handling will be tuned better. So the GR is basically a production "Rally" car, and a lot of them will be going to Motorsport folks, even if they only get an occasional blast in a car club hill climb. But realistically it's probably got one of the best price / performance ratios out there, AND it's a Toyota, so it's unlikely to randomly blow up.

This is my current wheels, it's a boring silver Toyota hatchback that you would expect any Grandad to be driving. Except it's got about 270 hp.  ;D

And folks are turning up to car shows now with nicely restored AE82 (1980's) Corollas. The twincam 1600 versions were actually pretty quick for their time.

Thank You Sponsors!