iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10 x 20 outdoor kitchen.

Started by doc henderson, June 16, 2019, 02:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Well my wife is planning a birthday party for her mother and twin sister aunt.  she ask me to try to put up a pergola.  it was to go where the outdoor kitchen is planned for.  i have tons of wood, but as usual my wife wants to help plan it.  I have a oak that is 24 feet long for a single beam across the front and there will be a solid framed wall in the back with some windows.  one end will be closed and the other will have french doors.  There will be a bar across the front at standard ht.  supported by a half wall.  she likes ERC and we plan to make shutters for the house, and am considering ERC for the support posts.  i am sure this is standard for many of you in this area,  books are good.  I am a woodworker but not a timber frame guy.  It is going in a corner of our pool area.  the back post will sit on a 8 inch thick retaining wall with footing, and the front posts will fasten to a slab with round footings underneath the slab.  total dimension 10 x 20 feet, aprox. 10 feet tall.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

july 20th.  if we can get the four corners up with the back framed wall and three beams, we can tarp or pergola the top for now.  wanting a three way joint for the front two corners.  i am referring to the 20 foot length as front (bar) and back (framed wall) inside of timbers.  just put my 24 foot oak 30 inches round on the mill.  been saving it for the beam across the front and matching bar top.  It is rotten in about 6 inches.  need a new log or a post in the middle of the front span.  the two twins will be 150 years combined age.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

the front 2 timbers could be rectangular if that helps with the joints.  we have dutch gables but I will poss use trusses for this, although beam would look nice.  prob ERC sheathing under shingles to see from underneath.  i work 4 12 hours shift this coming week but have the next week off.

Jim_Rogers

If you want some help you'll need to ask a question(s).
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

what combo joint do you recommend.  corner post with beams in two directions 90°.  like 6 x 6 post.  3 x 12 beams.  front to span 20 feet including post and sides 10 feet including post (i.e. outside to outside)  for now i will start with that cube, add a roof later.  could be a beam truss x 3 (every 10 feet or so , i want to sheet it with wood visible from underneath. for the party i would like to get started.  The back wall will be 2 x 4 frame between the posts, set back sot that drivet siding can be applied.  what joint do I use at the corner post and 2 beams 90° apart.

Dave Shepard

Why do you want a three way joint? It would be better to drop one of the beams. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

in my mind I am trying to make a "top plate" to put roof on, but i am a 2 by framer, not a timber framer.  I could make a seat for the big beam like a jack and king stud, but was wanting something to lock them all together.  could do metal bracket reinforcing but thought trad TF joint would be cool. and not depending on lag bolts ect.  I have admired it for years, and thought it might be time to try.  

Mad Professor

Here are some ideas.

From TFG

doc henderson

thanks MP.  I am planning a 5/12 or poss 6/12 pitch.  the front beam will span 20 feet and carry the roof, but the building is only 10 feet wide.  thanks for the ideas.  not sure of the species yet due to planned oak tree is now rotted.

doc henderson

no pergala yet, but here is a pic of the ladies with bowls made by my buddy Jimmy, from the old oak tree that was standing dead in their mom and sisters' front yard.  spalted oak.

judy has passed away and asked me to cut it down the week that she died ( 7 years ago).  birthday girls are the two on the left, connie and sharon, with sis jan on the right.  the walnut is from scraps from my floor.  Connie on the L is my mother in law, and her non identical twin Sharon are 150 years old... combined. :)

olcowhand

Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Thank You Sponsors!