iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: I Can't Find Grits at the Grocery Store.

Started by Tom, November 30, 2004, 05:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl

After all the talk about grits here, I impulsively bought a box a month or two ago. Ain't worked up the courage to try em yet. Notice that the young'un helping us out have buried them in the very back of the pantry.
As I relearn "the single life" :'( :'( they will surface and I will try 'em.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

sawguy21

Actually saw grits on the menu at Denny's last weekend. Wondered if DanG would approve but didn't have the nerve to try em :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

maple flats

"Re: I can't find Grits at the Grocery Store.", must be they know better. Tried them once, enough is enough. However for those who like them, DO IT WITH PURE MAPLE SYRUP AND LOTS OF IT! Don't listen to the ten commands, PURE MAPLE SYRUP MAKES EVERYTHING BETTER! 8) 8) 8)
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

SwampDonkey

Pour enough of that golden syrop on anything and it'll come out tasting real good. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crtreedude

We aren't sure exactly what is going to happen to poor FDH when he finds there is no way to find grits in the store here. I think they are stopped at the border as some kind of illegal substance.

I do have a bag that we are working on from FDH. I will admit, under constraint, that we eat them on Sunday mornings - probably as a form of penance. Our cook won't cook them but we are on our own on the weekends.

Just a quick aside - we had a visitor last week for lunch and she after seeing a formal meal presented, asked, "Do you always eat like this." We sheeplessly admitted we do. Imagine having a full-time person who aspires to be a chef who once cooked in a restaurant. She is really really good! But she won't cook grits.  :D

Anyway, we figure if you bury them in enough cheese and serve with a side of sliced ripe tomatoes - it is worth eating.

I figured I had to come clean because Harold is going to come down and see the grits gone and I'll have to explain.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Teri

Uh Fred... Don't you know by now that dad will bring his own grits with him?? I figure that by the time he runs out, he maybe coming back for a visit and I'll have some more for him to take back.  ;D ;D ;D

crtreedude

I am going to have customs search his luggage for toxic materials - the grits will never make it...  ;)

Teri

:D :D :D

Toxic  ???  Then 'splain to me why YOU eat them?  :D

crtreedude

Teri

I should have known better than to ask you a question like that.   ::)

woodbowl

What's all the fuss about grits?.............Yall' scroll back to reply #21. Dana has hit it right on the money! Now that's a yankee that knows good eatin'.  ;D Who ever heard of putting sugar on grits? Or comparing them to cream of wheat, malt-o-meal or oat meal?  ??? Grits sets off a good breakfast of eggs and sausage, bacon or ham. Try to eat some grits this way and next thing you know you'll probably get a craven for oysters on the half shell. ::)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

sawguy21

I happen to really like fresh oysters on the half shell ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!