The owner is lost on it & so am I!
Heavy as concrete this log was!
Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Reg

ReggieT

Here is an end grain pic:

WDH

It is a red oak.  Most likely southern red oak, Quercus falcata.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ReggieT

Quote from: WDH on March 02, 2019, 07:16:14 AM
It is a red oak.  Most likely southern red oak, Quercus falcata.
Sir, I do concur!
Just sawed it in half, split one half into about 9 pieces and it smelled extremely loud,ripe, and sour :-X smiley_airfreshener (like classic red oak).
Split fairly easy...here are ze pics! 

WDH

That smell is distinctive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodpecker52

The aroma is what moonshine is transformed into whiskey.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Don P

Whiskey and wine kegs, tight or wet cooperage, is done in white oak.
Slack or dry, nail kegs, is red.

If you split out a small "straw" of red oak and blow on one end with the other stuck in a glas of water, you can blow bubbles with it, your moonshine would quickly drain away. Do the same with a straw of white oak and it'll just puff your cheeks up. The cells are blocked in a white oak. If you turn up your scanner on high resolution and scan the end grain of both you can see those tyloses in the white.

As much as anything it is the charcoal filtering out the harsh oils and flavors, or so I've heard.

Woodpecker52

Red oak white oak still has that wiskey smell when its sawing.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Thank You Sponsors!