iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standing dead oak You guys tell me if this is worthwhile, cost effective?

Started by rasman57, June 11, 2013, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasman57

I have 4 red oaks dead from Wilt that the professional tree service guy is going to trim and leave the standing trunks for me to drop later.  I hate to just make firewood with these mature trees but know little about the lumber aspect.  I am a retired detective and only know about trees as good cover in a shoot out and how to make firewood with my Stihl.   These trunks will be 35-50 foot tall and couple 2-3 feet in diameter.  I would like to have rough sawn oak planking for a barn floor. Nothing fancy.    Not many sawmills in my area of northern Illinois but I was thinking it could be a good idea?   What say the experienced?    Thanks  Ralph

Weekend_Sawyer

Welcome Ralph.
You will hear this alot. Are these yard trees? Most sawmill don't want to mess with them because of nails and such each generation pounded in them for their tree house and basket ball hoops.

Red oak makes some beautiful lumber tho.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

LeeB

Be careful where and how you handle it. Red oak killed by oak wilt can spread the disease by fungal mats under the bark.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

rasman57.welcome the forum. I have 2 red oak just about the same size in my back yard. First limb is about 12 feet up and most of the limbs,with are 6-10 inches across. Mine are not much good for planking. Maybe cut out the knots and might have some good short lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bibbyman

We saw a good bit of what had been standing dead oak.  It's better if they are gotten to before the bark falls off.  But ok until sap is rotten. After that the inner wood is generally ok but sap wood is no good.

Fallen dead trees usually rotten quickly - especially if they make contact with ground.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rasman57

These are in a patch of timber behind the house that was a pasture long time ago.  If there is metal in them it would be a surprise to me but I have not looked closely.  30 years they shaded the field and made me rake leaves.   The bark is just starting to piece away a bit.  The tree guy said his log buyer would probably want to take a look at them which is what got me to thinking about the possibility of some planking or lumber.     Ralph

WDH

Barn planking-flooring would be a wonderful application.  Surely you can find a sawyer to saw them up for you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scully

It seems I am a sucker for these types of opertunitys ,I wish I lived closer not only would I have climbed and limbed them for you I would drop the sticks and mill you the best that they could offer . My point is Guys that do that sort of thing are out there ! I hope you find one !
I bleed orange  .

drobertson

You will know soon enough after dropping the trunks if there is metal in them, just look for a purple, or dark stain in the stump and log, if this is so, cut firewood from it up till it goes away, then make your boards.  I have sawed many dead trees, they make great lumber, just take the good with the bad,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

OneWithWood

Every tree I have milled has been dead.  Some more recently than others.   :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

bandmiller2

You should get some  fine planks and/or boards from the dead standers.Be aware the larger ones may be a problem for most bandmills,too large diameter.The dead standers I've cut showed nice fine grain and remained very stable.They will be hard and tend to dull a band quicker than green oak.Quite often pasture trees will have barbed wire embedded deeply. Best to cut off the butt flair and five feet or so for firewood.You should be able to find someone local, ask around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

First, if you are cutting the trees, keep an eye out for "widow makers".  Dead branches have a way of breaking loose at bad times.  Don't cut on a windy day.  How are you looking for sawyers?  Try clicking on the sawmill sponsors and see if they have a database of sawyers.  Norwood, for example would come up with my mill, if you were looking for one in southwest MO.  Your state forest products association is also a good resource for finding mills.

I'm salvaging a lot of dead oak, and getting some nice lumber out of it.  Go for it!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rasman57

All good advice and thanks.  I began lurking here a while back after looking for information on managing a little Aspen "popple" cutover in Michigan I have.  Lots of really experienced folks and resources.  Strange though, looking for info about forestry management in Michigan last year and now at home in Illinois my Ash get the bore, and the Oaks die from the wilt!   Appreciate the help.      Ralph

Thank You Sponsors!