iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 230a rear differential

Started by VLACOSSE, January 26, 2014, 07:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VLACOSSE

I was wondering if anyone on here would know if there is a way to lock in the rear differential on a 1994 timberjack 230A forwarder. I'm very new to this machine we mostly run Valmets. It is in beautiful shape but only one tire on the back spins and makes it a pain in the butt to try and get around the woods in the winter mostly trying to crawl over the frozen knolls. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

bushmechanic

Those 230A's use hydraulic pressure to apply the differential lock in the rear and it has a detroit locker in the front. It's been a long time since I worked on that but there should be a valve on the right side of the operator's seat and the pressure is reduced for the operation of it. Hope this helps but I'm sure some of the guy's on here can tell you exactly where in the cab the switch is. 

VLACOSSE

Thank you very much I will check it out tomorrow morning. This machine is all around different than what I am used to and its very hard not to get frustrated when you can't even get it to climb over a one foot tall little knoll.

VLACOSSE

Is there anymore ideas on how to lock that rear diff in? I never made it to that job site today but I would like to have as many ideas or ways as possible

danabg

You need to check and see if your getting hyd pressure back at the actuator on the differential.I think there are 2 hyd lines running back to it,I can't remember what pressure you should have there probably 600 or 700 lbs.I ran a 1994 forwarder with that setup,when you pull the button,it activates an electronic solenoid that lets the oil go back to the diff,I can't remember where it was located but shouldn't be hard to find.You might not be getting power to the solenoid from the switch,it might be something very simple,good luck.

VLACOSSE

Thank you very much I'll let you know how I do!

danabg

I remember now where that solenoid is,it's back by the transfer case which is under the loader on the right hand side I think.It should have a black coil [magnet] on it a quick way to tell if it is working is to get someone to pull the switch while you have a small wrench or screwdriver on the magnet,if it is working you can feel the pull of the magnet when switch is activated,it's not a real strong pull but you can feel it.Hope this helps.

VLACOSSE

Is the switch on the dash? I know this makes me sound like a real dumb dumb but man I just can't seem to find the *DanG thing.

OntarioAl

VLACOSSE
Try tracing the lines back from the rear diff. If you cannot find anything maybe its been removed. If you find the pilot valve you should be able to trace the wire back to the switch again as long as it is still there.
Al
Al Raman

jwilly3879

Here's a page from the operator manual-

danabg

I think it was on the left hand side facing ahead on our old machine,with a red light above it to indicate when it was on.Right beside the lever for the blade.

VLACOSSE

Alrighty fellas I found where the switch was and installed a new one. I honestly don't know how I didn't notice that spot before. Turns out that there is no hydraulic lines running back to the rear diff. It seems to be an electronic locker? I also found out that I may have been misinformed on the year of the machine. Still can't get it to lock in but I only had about 20 minutes to work on it today so I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Any one heard of an electronic locker on a TJ 230A?

wesley

if its like the 96 610 I used to own it has a switch on the rear punkin with a three or four wire plug on the top, we had a constant battle keeping it pluged in and clean.

Thank You Sponsors!