iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need some log dogs!

Started by oklalogdog, October 05, 2011, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklalogdog

The dogs on my old Foleys Belsaw are the only things that can't be fixed.  They are cast iron and have chunks broken out of them and etc.  I would really appreciate any info about where I can buy some dogs already made.  The blacksmiths around here look at you like you're crazy when you ask them to build some.

They don't have to be Foleys - just quality log dogs.  I can adapt them to my mill.  I have searched the internet for weeks and can't find any adjustable dogs at all for sale.

Thanks for your help in advance. >:(
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

HOGFARMER

Timberking still keeps some parts for the Belsaw mills as well as operating manuals.  Give them a call they are an have an ad on the left side of this page.
Manual LT-30

shelbycharger400

just make some new ones similar to ur old ones. i have a m14,  theirs not much to them,
make them out of cold rolled steel. you probably could do it yourself too

blacksmiths , good at what they do, but most of them are not machinists...

oklalogdog

"Timberking still keeps some parts for the Belsaw mills as well as operating manuals.  Give them a call they are an have an ad on the left side of this page."

Hogfarmer - I called Timberking and they said they no longer have any Belsaw dogs in stock.

shelbycharger400

is it the 90 degree 6x6 corners you need, (steel) or the cast iron blocks that they sit in, and house the esentric and handle

oklalogdog

It's the cast iron - seems it just got old and brittle.  I am thinking about going to an all new sliding dog system that I have planned out, but if you know of a place to buy log dogs or someone who can make them please advise.  I can adapt them to my sliding system.  I just plan on using screw down dogs made from all thread.

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

shelbycharger400

well, just went out side and took one off mine to look at it, i will bring it to a buddys house to get a correct quote.
the cast iron block is 3 1/2 x 3 x 3 1/2  at 1/2 inch thick,  their would be some considerable time milling that out of a solid piece of steel.   
so Im thinking A,  out of 3 pieces of steel either welded or bolted together
or do same above out of aluminum

im assuming that you still have your essentric handle/spindle.

i do have some steel sheet stock thats around  .450 thick i think.  I can draw up the print for making it in 3 pcs whatnot.
Im also thinking when the 3 pcs bolt together, i can use 5 /16 or 3/8 bolts, and their would be 4 bolts , center block would be tapped, the outer plates, can be slotted for additional adjustments due to wear on the upright bar ect.
you need one or 2?
and time frame.

if i had a mill i could have it done rather quickly, but currently i dont, nor have 3k to buy a decent mill

Thank You Sponsors!