iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I may have been watching the screen vs the birds and got the wrong ones when I snapped as it was a cloudy day and poor visibility and the birds were constantly going and coming. I know some of the birds I was seeing were bluebirds. There were also nuthatches which have some blue but are about half the size of the bluebirds and often walk upside down on the trees. I saw the bluebirds chase some of them off. I also have several species of woodpeckers coming including red-bellied, downy, and hairy and yes, we have titmice or is that titmouses? Occasionally a cardinal or blue jay come. The most problems are the dove and turkeys who wipe out the corn on the ground in short order.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

KEC

I know what you mean about birds moving about and trying to sort them out or get a good photo. Today I had a bunch of chickadees and nuthatches (red and white-breasted) making a fuss by one of my Screech-Owl boxes. One Red-breasted Nuthatch stood right in the entry hole of the box and peered inside.  As expected, at dusk a red morph Screech-Owl appeared at the hole. Most around here are gray morph. I enjoy your posts, WV Sawmiller.

SwampDonkey

One spring I thought I was seeing a flock of bluebirds out in the maple woods. Come to find out they were northern parula on there way north to the coniferous forest to nest in old man's beard moss. They are a slate blue with yellow chest. Never seen them before or took notice until then. :) They actually are smaller than bluebirds as it turns out. I knew very little about bluebirds back then as they were never here in this area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Out for a stroll in the yard again. He's under the beech.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

It's been quite a while since I've had a grouse come around near the house. I drove around a high rent housing developement today as many of these places have planted River Birch and crabapple trees, which attract birds. Saw 3 bluebirds eating crabapples and several robins. Was hoping for redpolls and maybe Pine Grossbeak.

WV Sawmiller

I was sitting on my couch watching TV and trying to stay warm a few minutes ago when there was a loud thump on the window 10' away from me. I walked outside and at the bottom of the porch steps I found this guy.

A red-bellied woodpecker. Addled but still alive

I put him back on the porch on Sampson's food dish where he was probably headed anyway. I'll check in a while. Hopefully he will feel well enough to fly away. They are a pain at times but I didn't have the heart to put him down. He's only doing what comes natural.

About once a week we will have some kind of bird fly into the large windows on the side of the house. usually they get right back up and fly away. Sometimes they take awhile to regain their senses and sometimes they don't survive at all.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

The back wall of our house is generally double pane glass, and  we get hits every other day or so.  Bird feeders out and the guests fly in the wrong direction.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

Saw a cardinal here the other day on my walk, flew into some red pine trees from the opposite side of the road. I can officially say I have seen my annual winter cardinal this year already. :)

WV Sawmiller

My red-bellied woodpecker was gone when I walked out a few minutes later so either he flew or walked away. I think he flew because either he or his twin brother were on the porch rail this morning. I thought it was going to let me walk over and pick him up but when I was 4-5 feet away he decided to fly away.
Howard Green

SwampDonkey

A friend of mother's had a red headed woodpecker at her place all summer. Some birders went over to take photos and it is now in a 2021 calendar. They are a long way out of their ordinary range to be here in NB. We are seeing other birds creeping in here frequently, such as turkey vulture, crains (not herons), turkeys. I suspect an old fashion winter with -30F mornings will thin the turkeys out. :D Haven't seen -30F here in 12 years.

KEC

Swamp Donkey, Turkeys can be hardy. They are in the Central Adirondacks. Some years ago when New York and other states trapped turkeys to introduce in new areas I talked to a biologist who said that in very harsh weather the turkeys may not get out of a roost tree all day long. They would be up in a big Larch and sidestep out to where they would eat buds and go back over by the trunk. Made it tough to trap them.

WV Sawmiller

I was sitting in my upper shooting blind this morning and this pileated woodpecker came for a visit. He landed about 6' high on a tree then hopped down on the ground to a couple of roots and was down there a good 5 minutes or more. He was throwing leaves over his shoulders (Do birds have shoulders?) as far as an old turkey hen. I had a good time watching him then before he left he gave the famous pileated wood hen call before he flew up. We have several nest of them in various dead trees on our place. They are very impressive bird but I watched a bluebird make one circle a dying ash tree repeatedly last summer when he lit too close to their nest box.
Howard Green

Hilltop366

Around a dozen eastern bluebirds and half a dozen flickers in the yard yesterday.

<b

KEC

Today I had a Brown Creeper by the house where I put suet and sunflower seed. I'm making some nest boxes for creepers for the coming nesting season. They normally nest under loose tree bark, but are known to use a box that simulates natural sites.

Walnut Beast

Threw some sunflower 🌻 seeds on my enclosed trailer. Works pretty good for a bird feeder

Walnut Beast

Don P

I read something interesting on our new calendar this morning. The blue of blue jay's feathers comes from melanin, which is brown. The cells in the feathers are specialized to diffract the light so that we see blue, neat. 

Walnut Beast

Interesting. I was looking at one really close today and noticed his tail and back feathers are really a different blue than the rest of his blue color

KEC

So far as I know, the blue in Blue Jays, bluebirds and others is caused by light refraction. The feathers are somehow such that they reflect blue but disperse the other colors. If you take one of their feathers and hold in down in front of you it will reflect the blue and look blue. Hold it up so the light comes through the feather to you and it is just a washed out gray. I recall many years ago I was out birding with some friends and we went to see a pair of Blue Grosbeaks which are rare this far North. We found the grosbeaks in an old field along with Eastern Bluebirds, Blue Jays and Indigo Bunting, all of the birds found in New York that are blue.

doc henderson

saw this in the window feeder today.  must be the flying variety, cause that is a bird feeder.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

I opened the side door of a bluebird house last year and a squirrel ran out that looked like it was wearing baggy pajamas.  I think it was a flying squirrel.

We have 2 pairs of bluebirds visiting our feeder in the last 3 days now.  They must be staying nearby. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodroe

I've got chickadees that will take seed from my hand if the feeder is empty by the house.
When i ski by the sugar shack and that feeder is empty I've had one on a couple occasions land on my hand atop the 
ski pole for 5-10 seconds looking at me telling me they are out of seed. Now that I find pretty special !
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

The blue jays are quite the characters. Throw some peanuts, shell and all on the feeder. Don't worry about the squirrels, the blue jays own the peanuts. :D

SwampDonkey

A local musician, Ewan Dobson has birds come to his hand. :)

Ewan Dobson - Birds I've Known [2018-2020] - YouTube

woodroe

Hard to beat that . Dude has more patience than me. I'll give em a minute or two and thats it.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Thank You Sponsors!